Why do you do it? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 21:38 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Why do you do it?

Why do you over winter in Spain? The coastal sites here are bursting at the seams with all nationalities catching what appears to be a bumper dose of sunshine. I know the obvious answer is for the better weather and sunshine but by all accounts the current spell of prolonged sunshine and lack of rain is not the norm. Even so temperatures are not great, 5C in the early morning and it does not warm up until about 1030hrs and if the sun did not shine it would not be much above 12C all day, and that is on the coast. Go inland and it can be considerably colder. Even weather can be boring without variation which is one reason I appreciate the seasonal changes of the UK. Weather aside why do you do it or why would you like to do it? Is it for economic reason or is there more to it?

I am not a lounge lizard who likes to bask in the sunshine day in day out, this seems to be a high for many. Iím not a TV addict either so lack of it here doesnít bother me either. Iíve tried a winter rally, albeit in March, it rained a lot then but I would be bored out of my mind staying put for the winter here. I mean there are only so many times a walking or cycling route can be enjoyed before it becomes uninteresting and even the effect of cheap wine and beer doesnít last. Its not cheap to eat out either, Menu del Dia seems to average about 9 euros, stray from that and dig much deeper into your wallet.

So what is the attraction for you of winter in Spain? Iím not convinced it is for me!

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 21:44

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
The appeal for us is proper daylight, reasonable temperatures, lovely countryside and nice people. We avoid the coast, camp sites and anywhere Brits congregate preferring villages where we can practice speaking Spanish, Alan.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 22:10

Winter

Hello,

Usually in winter when we go away, it is Winter based. So skiing, skating sledging etc. We have done this in Norway, France, Andorra, Spain and Scotland.

However, in 2005/2006 & 2009/2010, Whilst doing the winter sports. We tried a couple of weeks along the Coast in Salobrena, parking the motorhome outside a hired villa. And for the later, Javea and Benicasim on campsites.

I have to say how nice it was to be able to cycle along the coast and up into the hills without getting Pi55ed wet through. As it was to walk along the beaches and watch the surfers. And sit outside a Cafe and watch the world go by.

We are only in our forties and don't have the time to spend more then 2-3 weeks away at a time. If we could spend longer, I think I would be doing something along the lines of what Alan is doing. I would prefer to do things a bit different than be based on the one campsite.

I have been fitting a new sink tap in the motorhome today. It has rained non stop all day. Despite most of the work being inside the MH and having my van / tools under the awning. I have been soaked just walking to and from the house and garage.

I just cannot be bothered to get the bike out of the garage to go out on our local country park and get even more drenched.

You make the most of the milder climate Peedee.

TM

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 22:35

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,205 Times in 1,051 Posts
Personal Aire
Ive often wondered about this. If / when we go full timing I wondered about where to spend the winter. Dont fancy sitting on a campsite in Spain. I wondered about Sicily or even Greece. Either that or Ill just follow Alan around!

One thought I had to escape the winter weather was to just dump the van and take a long term rent in the canaries.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 22:42

I would hate to spend the winter in Spain. I do not like the country at all! We will spend next winter in the southern half of France, not far from Bergerac (Villereal will be our nearest town) in our own home. We move in July and I can't wait. The winter can still be cold and even snowy, but it lasts much less time than in GB and the summer is longer and hotter.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 22:49

Barry

Dumping the van is a great idea - well your van anyway - it's always breaking down...heh heh.

We spent last winter in Italy/Greece. This year we're in Turkey/Cyprus and next year, we'll do Spain/Portugal/Morocco. I guess you do run out of options, but there's no rule to say you have to stay in one place - even if you pick Spain, it's quite BIG.

Today it's 25 degrees in Southern Turkey. Took a lobster pot out in the kayak and fixed it to a buoy. Caught a bream and had that for supper. Somehow that took up most of the day...

Tishf650
www.theworldisourlobster.com [I]
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 22:54

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,205 Times in 1,051 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TishF650
Barry

Dumping the van is a great idea - well your van anyway - it's always breaking down...heh heh.

We spent last winter in Italy/Greece. This year we're in Turkey/Cyprus and next year, we'll do Spain/Portugal/Morocco. I guess you do run out of options, but there's no rule to say you have to stay in one place - even if you pick Spain, it's quite BIG.

Today it's 25 degrees in Southern Turkey. Took a lobster pot out in the kayak and fixed it to a buoy. Caught a bream and had that for supper. Somehow that took up most of the day...

Tishf650
www.theworldisourlobster.com [I]
Watch it or ill spend the winter following you around instead of Alan!

How the hell did you catch a Bream in a Lobster pot? Impressive.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 23:17

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsW
I would hate to spend the winter in Spain. I do not like the country at all! We will spend next winter in the southern half of France, not far from Bergerac (Villereal will be our nearest town) in our own home. We move in July and I can't wait. The winter can still be cold and even snowy, but it lasts much less time than in GB and the summer is longer and hotter.
A Lady after my own heart!

Do you need a handyman?

TM
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 23:33

To be fair, the lobster pot belongs to Barry (StanDup) and Ruth, who we've just bumped into down here. We had the kayak, so it was a joint effort.

A small sea bream found its way to the bait somehow. We've left it out again tonight, so we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Anyway, sorry, this is supposed to be about why people spend the winter in Spain...wherever you are, surely it's what you make of it? Sunny weather does help a lot of course but it's more about a state of mind.

You can choose to stay in your van all day watching Sky or you can go to the market, cook something new, swim, cycle. walk, fish, explore, chat, engage with locals. If you want to tour, then tour.

Each to their own.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 23:35

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishF650
To be fair, the lobster pot belongs to Barry (StanDup) and Ruth, who we've just bumped into down here. We had the kayak, so it was a joint effort.

A small sea bream found its way to the bait somehow. We've left it out again tonight, so we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Anyway, sorry, this is supposed to be about why people spend the winter in Spain...wherever you are, surely it's what you make of it? Sunny weather does help a lot of course but it's more about a state of mind.

You can choose to stay in your van all day watching Sky or you can go to the market, cook something new, swim, cycle. walk, fish, explore, chat, engage with locals. If you want to tour, then tour.

Each to their own.
I am now curious.

Where exactly are you and what kind of Kayak are you using?

TM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page