Why do you do it? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-02-2011, 23:51

Hi Teemyob

We're at Kas, between Marmaris and Antalya. aka Heaven.

We have a inflatable Sevylor 2 man kayak (called Chuck) who doesn't come out very often, but when he does, he earns his supper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 07:46 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Re: Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemyob
Hello,

I have to say how nice it was to be able to cycle along the coast and up into the hills without getting Pi55ed wet through. As it was to walk along the beaches and watch the surfers. And sit outside a Cafe and watch the world go by.

TM
Agree in the short term but what do you do when you are stuck on one site for 3 months or more? In any case I can think of better times in the year to do these things than December through to February.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 08:28

Hi there,

This is our third year of spending the winter in Spain, we tour for a couple of months on the way here, seeing different places, then we park up at Marjal for 6 months.

We are not bored at all, the social life is fantastic (not just eating and drinking), golf, boules, tennis, swimming, cycling, quizes etc etc.

It is great to be out and about and meeting people, in the UK we tended to stay indoors in the winter, too cold to be bothered, we would go from one day to the next without really seeing anyone, here we have a chat to different people daily.

We love the life, but obviously it wouldn't suit everyone, we don't just sit on the campsite and sunbathe, we go off in the car to different places and see the real Spain, and there are always some sort of events going on.

It's the best decision we have ever made, and we are looking forward to many more years of waking up smiling.

Cavaqueen

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaqueen
Hi there,

This is our third year of spending the winter in Spain, we tour for a couple of months on the way here, seeing different places, then we park up at Marjal for 6 months.

We are not bored at all, the social life is fantastic (not just eating and drinking), golf, boules, tennis, swimming, cycling, quizes etc etc.

It is great to be out and about and meeting people, in the UK we tended to stay indoors in the winter, too cold to be bothered, we would go from one day to the next without really seeing anyone, here we have a chat to different people daily.

We love the life, but obviously it wouldn't suit everyone, we don't just sit on the campsite and sunbathe, we go off in the car to different places and see the real Spain, and there are always some sort of events going on.

It's the best decision we have ever made, and we are looking forward to many more years of waking up smiling.

Cavaqueen
Unfortunately, I/we can't contribute any experiences of wintering in France/Spain/Portugal etc, as it is something we'd love to do, (for all the reasons given above by Cavaqueen and TishF650), but not been able to do yet, as Rita enjoys her little bit of financial independence in the form of her part time job.

Any attempts by me to persuade her otherwise, by offering an opportunity of a life time, have so far failed miserably, so I have stopped trying.

Hopefully, listening to other's experiences when we do meet up with seasoned "snowbirds", may eventually change her train of thought.

Anyway, whatever, today is St Valentine's Day, and I still love her to bits.

For all those wintering abroad, have a great time, and stay safe.

Best regards,

Jock (& Rita).
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 09:38

Send a message via MSN to Rapide561
Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
Ive often wondered about this. If / when we go full timing I wondered about where to spend the winter. Dont fancy sitting on a campsite in Spain. I wondered about Sicily or even Greece. Either that or Ill just follow Alan around!

One thought I had to escape the winter weather was to just dump the van and take a long term rent in the canaries.
Barry - a man after my own heart.

In September 2008, we were taling to a youngish couple - mad 40's maybe - who fulltimed in hotels and so on from September to May. I was impressed with the £12 per night half board in a decent hotel in Majorca, but they were paying even less!

Only yesterday I looked at Majorca again and can stay for four weeks, half board in a hotel with small rooms but decent food for less than £500 including flights.

I should have been setting of to Spain this Thursday but am delayed now for one reason and another, but the attraction is the sunshine and warmer weather.

Russell
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 10:19

Overwinter

You can get long term winter lets in Villas, some with sea views for a lot less than you think.

So, if campsites are not your thing and you don't fancy a Hotel for 6 months. Try searching for properties to rent.

Javea/Denia/Moriara has a wide choice with a superb all-year climate.

TM
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 10:42

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,050 Posts
Personal Aire
I booked an apartment on a golf course in Tenerife a few years ago for 3 weeks at Christmas. I think we got it for about £400 which I thought was a bargain. The next door neighbour was there for 3 months and was paying £400 a month which isnt bad. Shared pool, right by the sea.

I bet there are some bargains to be had. Only issue with the Canaries is that you would have to hire a car really which could prove expensive, whereas if it was spain I would just drive my own down there.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 11:12

Winter on a cramped Spanish campsite is definitely not top of my list either and I cannot think of anything worse!

Spain was the first overseas country we ever visited in our motorhome and during that trip, we once ended up for a night on a campsite near Benidorm and OMG, I am sure most of the UK 'residents' staying there were on the run! lol We made the most of our trip though and visited many interesting places but to be honest, I did not enjoy stopping on many of the campsites we came across, especially as everyone seemed to be packed in like sardines! We like to wildcamp, but after hearing of so many robberies and attacks from fellow travellers reports, we really did not feel safe wildcamping in secluded or isolated spots like we prefer and usually tend to do!

However, there are still parts of Spain that are absolutely beautiful and virtually unspoilt by modern tourism, so I don't think those who prefer more laid back destinations should completely rule all of Spain out and we quite fancy visiting the Andalusia region of Spain one day. From what I can gather, this part of Spain is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, offering some stunning and quite moorish locations. Many of the towns and villages are described as being the 'real' Spain; full of character and charm and seeped in history! I've also been told a lot of the towns & villages are more like the Spain of yesteryear and that the Andalusia region of Spain, is a far cry from the tacky coastal resorts often found on a lot of the Costas!

Sounds just what the doctor ordered!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishF650
We're at Kas, between Marmaris and Antalya. aka Heaven.

We have a inflatable Sevylor 2 man kayak (called Chuck) who doesn't come out very often, but when he does, he earns his supper!
Ooh I'm so envious TishF! Turkey is a place we dream of visiting in our motorhome but sadly 2 little dogs who we love to bits, prevent us from venturing to those shores - but oh how we yearn to. We have such wondeful memories of package holidays to Turkey and to visit this fantastic country in our motorhome would be a dream come true! :P

Greece however, is another place we long to travel around - and as Greece is part of the pet passport scheme, it is definitely a place we plan to visit either this year or next!

Enjoy your travels.

Sue
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 15:58

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
Anyone here remember the stage show 'Hair'? There was one immortal line in that never to be forgotten... I will miss out the reference but bottom line is 'If you ain't tried it, don't knock it" I know you said you had tried a winter rally in March but I feel that is not a good representation.
Peedee, with respect, some happy campers enjoy to do it and good luck to them but you don't have to be 'stuck on a site' for 3 to 6 months. Spain is a big country with lots to see and some of us choose to move around as you would anywhere else. There are some lovely little sites away from the madding crowd. As it happens the site I am on now 15kms north of Barcelona has nary a Brit (except for me of course) but a mix of French, German and Italian. There are about a dozen of us on a site that would take about 400 vans. My pitch overlooks the sea, I watch the sunrise most mornings, sometimes it is cloudy but on the whole just so beautiful.
I think I have been to the site that Sonesta mentioned. We didn't stay long! My husband nicknamed it Costa del Crime. So, yes, like anywhere else there are places that don't appeal.
A big attraction as mentioned by a previous poster is the light! My daughter came out for a weekend visit from the UK and had to borrow sunglasses - even to sit in the van! Contrast from the dark in the UK was very noticeable.
The most important attraction for me is the weather. I enjoy to be outdoors all day. I can't do that in the UK in the winter. Every winter in the UK I end up with things like bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy. I don't in Spain. And I have met others who enjoy the health benefits of a kinder winter climate.
As for bandits etc, yes they exist but I remember driving down to Naples in 1975 and being warned then about bandits so what's new?
Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-02-2011, 16:53

Great post Sal and like you say Spain is a BIG country and there are some fabulous places to be found.

I had to titter when you mentioned you think you may have stayed on the same 'dodgy' campsite near Benidorm as we did and I bet like us, you were 'gobsmacked' by some of what you saw? That said, we've enjoyed many a laugh about our experience since and we often tell our friends about how everyone went deathly quiet the moment we walked into the onsite bar! We felt all eyes upon on the 2 strangers in their midst (which happened to be us!) We both felt immediately uncomfortable, so my husband whispered to me to drink my drink (which we both knocked back in one swig) and we quickly made our escape! As soon as we left the room everyone started chatting again .... It was weird!

Another place we visited whilst on the return journey back from Spain was Sitges and we really liked it there. Lots of Spanish flavour and it had a real good vibe about the place. It was December time, so not the best time of year to visit the area but we liked it very much and would love to return in the nicer weather.

Hope you are enjoying your beautiful new motorhome and are finding the fulltiming way of life lots of fun?

Take care.

Sue xxx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page