Ireland - Spain Ferry Changes - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By dghr272
  • 1 Post By jiwawa
  • 1 Post By HermanHymer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-01-2020, 13:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Ireland - Spain Ferry Changes

The Port of Cork says it will continue to pursue other ferry link options to Spain after confirmation from Brittany Ferries that it is axing its Cork-Santander route after just two years over low freight numbers.
Following days of speculation, the ferry company confirmed that it is moving its Ireland-Spain sailings from Cork to Rosslare Europort, with a new arrival port in Bilbao. The first sailing is due to take place on February 28.
Like the service being axed, it will operate twice a week and will incorporate a weekly Ireland-France rotation.

All customers already booked on affected sailings from Cork will be given the option of transferring their booking to sailing between Rosslare and Bilbao or Roscoff.
The company said an allowance will be given to cover additional transfers, or a full refund will be provided to those who choose to cancel.
The company emphasised its “continuing commitment” to the popular Cork-Roscoff service which carries nearly 100,000 holidaymakers between Ireland and France every season.
Brittany Ferries CEO Christophe Mathieu said the decision to relocate its Ireland-Spain route from Cork to Rosslare was not taken lightly and follows extensive consultation with freight customers who sought better road connections and reduced driving distances.
“We opened the route in 2018 with a two-year trial window,” he said.

“While passenger numbers have been encouraging, the reality is that freight numbers, which are key to route viability, were not sufficiently robust.
“However I want to make it clear that we remain committed to Cork, with our flagship Pont-Aven cruise-ferry service to Roscoff. We’re also committed to an Ireland-Spain route, now via Rosslare, and we’ll look after existing passengers whose future travel will be affected by this change.”
The ferry company said hauliers have told them that Rosslare, given its proximity to Dublin and the east coast road network, is a preferred option.
Hauliers operating on the European mainland have also said that Bilbao is more attuned to freight traffic and has easier transport links into Europe.
In a statement this lunchtime, the Port of Cork said the ferry company’s decision was surprising and very disappointing.
“However we will continue to pursue other options for linking Cork and Northern Spain,” a spokesperson said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7619.JPG (218.1 KB, 4 views)
patp likes this.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited by dghr272; 30-01-2020 at 13:46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-01-2020, 15:05

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I did TRY to give them my custom. Now I will never know...
patp likes this.

Jean
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 31-01-2020, 08:14

If they were really interested in drumming up passenger numbers then they would introduce more pet friendly cabins. The day they release the winter timetable from Portsmouth or Plymouth they sell every single cabin. People know to have two phones and an internet connection trying to contact them during that day in order to secure a cabin. What other company would turn down that amount of demand without at least trying to satisfy it?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:44

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
As the press release indicates, it's the freight, not the passengers, that pays the bulk of the costs. Sad but true.
patp likes this.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page