Gibraltar - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-05-2019, 19:56

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I went there several times in the 1980's and 1990's and thought it was very pleasant! I guess it's changed for the worse from the sound of it. Certainly going up to the top of the Rock was a good trip and the tunnels - plus the English pubs; although I suppose why bother as we have English pubs in England!

From the sound of it we should let the Spanish have it then.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
GMJ (31-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 11:54 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Don’t get too excited at the prospect of visiting it. We went there last year. We won’t be going back!

The best way I can think of describing it is that it’s like a chunk 1960’s Portsmouth that has been towed out to the Med and dumped, it doesn’t appear to have had any investment since! There frankly is nothing of real interest to be seen. The streets are very narrow and crowded, there are loads of “tat” shops and plenty of “British” style pubs.

The ONLY thing I could say was interesting was the rock and it’s associated tunnels etc. Don’t even THINK of walking up unless your a tri-athlete. There is a cable car (expensive) and there are slightly lower priced mini bus trips to be had (the roads on the rock are VERY narrow indeed)

If you can find a coach/bus trip from a distance out that’s what I would go for, the chances of finding a parking space anywhere near the rock are infinitesimal, if you DO find a parking space you will need a trust fund to pay for it.

I am sure you can see a bit of a pattern to the responses! There’s a reason for that!

You have been warned

Andy

Luckily Andy I SELDOM listen to your advice/doom and gloom so will still be going. But THANKS for reminding me why I seldom come on MHF any more

As Peter says, it's easy to slag it off when you have been...

Interestingly enough responses across 3 forums have been roughly 50/50 regarding whether it's nice or not. Either way we are going and by the looks the aire at the Marina or a campsite a few clicks up the road are the best options. As I posted earlier in this thread, we'll definitely not be driving on

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 14:10

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Luckily Andy I SELDOM listen to your advice/doom and gloom so will still be going. But THANKS for reminding me why I seldom come on MHF any more
]

Graham
So why just single me out?? Barryd has posted pretty much the same as me, he escapes without comment yet you choose to post unpleasant personal comments in respect of me.

I spoke from a point of personal experience (like Barryd) yet you decided to be rude to me and ignore his comments entirely. Why?

I hope you do enjoy your visit, it didn’t suit me, but it may well suit you. We all like different things. One thing I like are polite and respectful people.

Andy

P.s. If you are unable to be civil I doubt you will be missed.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 14:25 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Andy

If you read my OP I only asked for info on campsites rather than half a page of diatribe on the why's/wherefor's of going there!

The difference is that Barry chucked in a throw away line - as did others - and fair enough. You posted your usual strident half a page with your usual EMPHASIS using random capitalisation! Given previous experiences/posts of where you were equally strident and also completely wrong, it's little wonder you secured the reaction you did!

Graham

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 14:42

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Settle down boys and girls, I was on holiday in Spain in the 90's and drove down to Gib for a day and quite liked it mind you the apes where a bit of a pain on the rock, always trying to nick things from you, evil little buggers, actually quite large evil buggers.
I am sure you will enjoy it Graham.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchlock For This Useful Post:
GMJ (31-05-2019)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 14:43

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Rather than just say “It’s a dump” I thought it better to try and explain why I thought that, and detail the little bits of useful information I had gleaned because I thought you might find them useful! S

Three (non random) capitalised words, to stress a few of what I thought might be important points hardly rates as a “strident diatribe” does it?

I will leave it for others to decide who has been the more reasonable/adult here.

I sincerely hope you do enjoy your visit to the Rock.

Andy
Matchlock likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
GMJ (31-05-2019)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 21:38

SORRY: no info on campsites.

However, when we lived in Marbella we visit Gib 3 times, or more accurately, twice, as our friends didn't realise they needed their passport to get in (and out) of the place [be warned!].

Admittedly, we went by car and had no problems: fuel was cheap and Morrison's was able to supply a range of British "treats" at approx 25% more than the UK price.

We totally ignore British pubs and the central carpark was a rip-off, but the drive down the west side passed interesting beaches BUT I think the tunnels on that road would exclude a MH.
There is a good carpark at the southern tip, near a mosque, with views to Morocco and close by a shipwreck. [From memory, there might be a "pillar of Hercules" but I'm on limited internet in the Outer Hebridies, so can't check.] I think MHs can get there by driving down the east side of the rock.

We also took a taxi ride to see the sights: £80 for 4 of us in 2009, including all the admission tickets. As stated earlier, the roads are narrow and our driver had no qualms about knocking parked cars out of his way: be warned!

Whatever people may say, it is a long way to travel to the south of Spain and you ought to experience everything on offer: enjoy!

Gordon
GMJ likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to H1-GBV For This Useful Post:
GMJ (02-06-2019)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:20

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
If you prefer a campsite then after the Marina we also stayed at http://www.campingsureuropa.es/ to get all our washing done before Morocco.

A bit further to go but we walked round along the beach looking at driftwood, poking things and taking photos of the small boats.

We only learnt later that La Linea has a very high crime rate as it is the favoured drop off point for hash from Morocco......................

now what was that package we were poking on the beach??

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Webby1 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (02-06-2019)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 13:20 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
If you prefer a campsite then after the Marina we also stayed at http://www.campingsureuropa.es/ to get all our washing done before Morocco.
Thanks Pete

What did you think of the campsite?

Graham

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 13:55

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Campsite was fine...........................some of the pitches were a little tight but we managed with our 7.5 van...........easier to access from the sea direction.

It seems to be a training/day centre for people with special needs,but that was no problem and they benefit from the income.

But if it was just about a visit to Gibraltar I would stay at the Marina and walk round.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Webby1 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (02-06-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page