Clampdown on "wild-parking" along Costa Blanca coast - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 15:11 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Clampdown on "wild-parking" along Costa Blanca coast

As reported today by one of the local English language newspapers on the Costa Blanca.......a clampdown on wild-parking along Costa Blanca south beach areas.

http://www.roundtownnews.com/news/co...mper-clampdown
camperman101 and camperman101 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 15:25

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Excuse us all for being a bit sceptical today
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 18:11 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Excuse us all for being a bit sceptical today

Unfortunately the day for jokes here in Spain "Dia de los Inocentes" is 28th December, not the UK's 1st of April.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 20:36

Don't know about the Costa Blanca, but we're at a beach on the Costa Calida that we've used for years for the odd overnight. We've never seen more than 2 vans there but this week there are probably 60 and they appear to be long term. As yet no problem with police even though they drive past regularly but I feel distinctly uncomfortable about dominating the place, although the local bars are not complaining. It's mainly French vans. Never seen so many in Spain. They must all be avoiding Morroco
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeemobile View Post
Don't know about the Costa Blanca, but we're at a beach on the Costa Calida that we've used for years for the odd overnight. We've never seen more than 2 vans there but this week there are probably 60 and they appear to be long term. As yet no problem with police even though they drive past regularly but I feel distinctly uncomfortable about dominating the place, although the local bars are not complaining. It's mainly French vans. Never seen so many in Spain. They must all be avoiding Morroco
Not good, maybe this is not the year to go to Spain, just as we are about to head that way
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 19:55

My Motorhome: Ford/Wellhouse Terrier Sport
The answer is simple- use campsites.

Using sites puts money into the local economy, helps with employment in areas that are suffering high youth unemployment.
It also prevents the unsightly picture of a large number of motorhomes all camped together along the coast.

We spent ten weeks in Spain during January/February and early March. We stayed two weeks at La Bella Vista near Estepona. A small village nearby - La Duquesa - had several wild campers in a car park next to the beach. These vans blocked parking spaces and some used the beach to dump waste!!! No wonder we get a bad name.

I think if we want to retain the support of locals to our winter sorties we should use campsites and put hard needed cash into the local economy and leave the views as nature intended.

I appreciate that a number on this forum are keen wild campers but surely to god that does not mean camping together in large numbers in areas of beauty?
emjaiuk, emjaiuk, prudence and 7 others like this.

Cheers
Jamsie
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 20:19

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsieboy View Post

I appreciate that a number on this forum are keen wild campers but surely to god that does not mean camping together in large numbers in areas of beauty?
I do not want to be in large numbers - neither when wildcamping - nor on a campsite.

So please do not suggest that campsites are the solution - they are not for me.

Geoff
erneboy and erneboy like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 21:18
wug

"Wild Camping" is the most over-used and inaccurate term for what is basically "parking". "Wild Camping" is when you sling a pack on your back and head to the hills on foot and pitch your tent, bivouac or whatever in a remote glen and then move off again in a day or two leaving no trace. I occasionally park up at home in Scotland somewhere in the wilds for a day's walking or mountain-biking and always try to visit the local shops, even if it's just for a coffee and cake, and often buy something nice from the village butcher.

I agree with Jamsieboy, we should try to use local facilities, including campsites and small local shops as much as possible. Spain is not a rich country, compared to the UK, and I am often astonished at how cheap food and eating out is (often with a bottle of wine thrown in) and wonder how they make a living. Same with campsites. We never go near the large busy sites down at the coast, but many of the small ones in rural areas must struggle over the winter to make a profit. €15 a night, with discounts on top - less than €10 (that's £ if you stay 4 weeks, is an absolute bargain. And you don't leave a mess when you need to empty.

I wonder how many of the "Wild Campers" would like 50 or more vans turning up at a beauty spot round the corner from where they live?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 21:36

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Spain has a network of "aires" too, why not use those?

We did when we took the MH down to Malaga and back and only paid for one night and that was with EHU and WiFi on a private aire. It cost us a whole 8€......

Use the local shops and restaurants for lunch - the food is good and plentiful and a typical set meal costs less than 10€ including wine (usually served with a full 1.5l bottle of lemonade too). It would be stupid NOT to do that IMO.

The busiest aire we stayed on had two other MH and was about 1Ha in size......

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 15:29

My Motorhome: Ford/Wellhouse Terrier Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
I do not want to be in large numbers - neither when wildcamping - nor on a campsite.

So please do not suggest that campsites are the solution - they are not for me.

Geoff

Geoff (and erneboy) Campsites and Aires are most certainly part of the solution. I accept that you and Erneboy are dedicated "wild campers". I also consider both of you highly responsible people based on my experience of you posting here on MHF. I would put The Nomad and Barry into the same category. I appreciate that you guys camp sensibly, clear up any mess and frequent local restaurants and bars and shops, but clearly there are large numbers of so called wild campers that simply want to free load and don't give a flying pig for the impact on the local environment or economy. When in Spain recently we passed a bay near Gibraltar and there must have been 30 motorhomes pitched out like a circus. It looked like a "travellers" convention.
My main point was that we should camp sensibly, use local facilities and respect the local environment and economy. My view is that using campsites or Aires do that best. Clearly the post that The Nomad put up indicates that the actions of some wild campers is really starting to hack off the powers that be and that could lead to us all being treated with contempt.
erneboy and erneboy like this.

Cheers
Jamsie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page