GOLDCAR Car Rental SPAIN Worst Company Eever - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 18:29

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
Sorry to hear of your problems Trev. Before I had a car kept permanently at my house in Javea I always used Solmar who were excellent. I did have a problem with one car, they immediately replaced it without any delay or drama.

Mike

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
The Following User Says Thank You to javea For This Useful Post:
teemyob (04-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 18:41

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Agree with kabundi - as you used a credit card contact them and they will raise a dispute and reclaim payment from Goldcar, you should not be out of pocket in any way.

They sound like a Shilock registered company who want a pound of flesh for doing nothing.....

The credit card company is the way to go....

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
teemyob (04-04-2016)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 21:42

We have a place in Javea, and we rent cars on a regular basis from Alicante airport and from Valencia airport. We have used all of the major companies, and they are all the same.
We find that every year the major car hire companies use a different way of extracting money from you, in order to reduce the "basic" quote on the comparison websites. When we see quotes of 5 euros per day, we know there will be extras.
Last year it was the full tank of fuel with no refund, this year it is the extra insurance. They also try and hide what the extra costs will be, but we find that when booking direct it is easier to find out the extra costs, it is the agents' websites that either try to hide the extra costs or try to sell you their own excess insurance, which would not have helped you in this situation.
We have ALWAYS used the extra insurance on offer from the car hire companies, we have never been tempted by the insurances available from the car hire agents or from annual excess policies.
We have had two problems in the last 10 years, one was a hail storm which damaged the car quite extensively, there was no come back whatsoever, secondly we had a car would not start (we were in Scallops at the time) and it was recovered by the grua and we heard nothing more.
Can you not use the Amex travel insurance to sort things out?
The Following User Says Thank You to Handysue For This Useful Post:
teemyob (04-04-2016)

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:32

We have been using various car rentals in Spain for some time now and we have found they are all rip off merchants of late. So with that in mind we have just sold our motorhome and put a deposit on a TOW CAR.
teemyob and teemyob like this.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabundi View Post
As you used a credit card the credit card company are also liable. Report the incident to them and request a refund of all of your costs as effectively you have paid for something that was not delivered. They will also put pressure on Goldcar/Holiday Autos to sort out the situation.
Thank You

I have done just that.

TM
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 Thread Starter

Thank you everyone, still without a replacement from GOLDCAR.

In the past, we used Moraira Autos. I do not know what happened to them but it seems to point towards Victoria Cars who were their competitors.

But now it seems looking at the website and costs that they have followed the same tactics as all the other hire car companies.

Mike, SolMar I had seen but they had very bad reviews so I avoided them too.

I did see a company advertising older cars in a free weekly here, but we prefer automatics that they do not have many of . www.flamencacars.com

Annoyingly, Automatics now often cost the same or not much more than the manual versions. Yet, when you come to hire an auto, they are twice the price.

We mostly drive to Spain Via Bilbao/Santander. Bilbao is the best for us but Brittany Ferries seem to favour the Santander routes, or its passenger numbers do. We will now only be coming Late September-May.

So, I think I am going to buy a Toyota Previa or Landcruiser and leave it at the Airport in September. Keep it here for Family to use and drive it back before the 6 months time limit.

Any Recommendations on Airport Parking, Alternative cars and insurers welcome.

Thanks everyone again.

TM
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:22

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
I used these people for quite a few years and found them to be very professional:

http://royalparking.es/en/.

Why not register the car in Spain, saves the hassle of taking it back to the UK every year and easy to arrange insurance locally, which includes breakdown recovery as a standard policy feature. I can recommend someone to arrange this if you decide to go that way.

Mike

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 13:37 Thread Starter

Hi Mike,

Thank you, that may be an option.

My Thoughts were that as we will not be in Spain from End of May to Beginning of October, we could have the use of the car in the UK.

Otherwise, it might be stood for 6 months in a dusty compound.

But if there are other advantages to having a Spanish registered car, this is something we would consider. Because that too could be driven in the UK for 6 months.

Trev
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:12 Thread Starter

So, the saga continues.

Today (Now yesterday). We called into Mercedes Benissa in Spain. They say that the car from Goldcar, the brand new Mercedes that was towed to them last week, they cannot currently fix it. They do not know what is wrong with it and have opened a special case with Mercedes in Germany.

Cost of Taxi to Mercedes €27.00

So, we have to take a Taxi to the Airport in Alicante.

Cost of Taxi to Alicante €105.00

We went to the office in Alicante, I was very polite and Goldcar Representative at the desk said, in points.

*You need to read our Terms & Conditions
*It is your responsibility to return the car to us here in Alicante
*For Every day, the car is in the Mercedes Garage, you will be charged for our loss iof use.
*You will have to pay for the tow truck. If the car is faulty, you will have to claim that back
*Even if the car is faulty, you will be liable for its return to us here in Alicante.
*You should have asked for the car to be towed to the airport, Accompanied it and taken a replacement from us.
*We have placed a block on your credit card of €1200, this will be your minimum liability to us at Goldcar

I can't go on any more. Suffice to say, we kept calm and avoided arrest.

These companies never cease to amaze me. They join the ranks of easyjet, Admiral Insurance and all the other crooks with no customer service.

F******* Fed up.com

Trev
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:13

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
Cheeky bleeders, shocking way to operate, surely that is against some law of running their business.

I see what you mean about walking away to save getting arrested.

Paul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page