Notification of EU driving offences cross border. Stopped - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 15:54

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
How many eastern european drivers who are banned back home are flying around our roads?

James
I wonder if the eastern european countries will embrace it in the same way that we are sure to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 16:08

Afternoon folks,

so what would happen if you got a speeding ticket or other in say Spain did not pay the fine but still went back to Spain at another time. ?

norm
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 16:22

My Motorhome: Hymer Van 522
"as if the UK has a great track record of being able to commune with, or produce written documentation, in the native language of any European that happens to get stopped in the UK. "

Perhaps not, but the UK does have a marvellous record of producing leaflets in a myriad of different languages to help immigrants claim benefits.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 17:31

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
"as if the UK has a great track record of being able to commune with, or produce written documentation, in the native language of any European that happens to get stopped in the UK. "

Perhaps not, but the UK does have a marvellous record of producing leaflets in a myriad of different languages to help immigrants claim benefits.
sorry - your point is?? I didn't realise this thread was about immigration but about European law on traffic offences

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 17:40

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
thieawin

I am interested in the 8 categories of offences covered.

Whilst some of those are serious - 'drink driving', some of them do not even cause accidents - 'not wearing a crash helmet' (only injury to the driver)

Are more serious offences, e.g. 'causing death by dangerous driving' , covered elsewhere?

Geoff
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-05-2014, 17:44

My Motorhome: Hymer Van 522
Sorry FatB - I didn't mean to give offence.

The point I was making is that UK Plc seems to pick and choose how it treats various classes of "foreigners" and also how it interacts with various other countries.

If the benefits side of UK Plc can waste taxpayers money producing leaflets in so many languages, the various other departments (ie to do with motoring) can surely do a bit better in common €uropean ones.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-05-2014, 06:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong
thieawin

I am interested in the 8 categories of offences covered.

Whilst some of those are serious - 'drink driving', some of them do not even cause accidents - 'not wearing a crash helmet' (only injury to the driver)

Are more serious offences, e.g. 'causing death by dangerous driving' , covered elsewhere?

Geoff
They'd be extraditable and arrest able under European law and I think information exchange exists already for serious offences.

I don't see how this is ceding anything to anyone, it's about information exchange.

And yes, when you go back to the country where the offence was committed you risk arrest, confiscation of vehicle or imprisonment depending what the enforcement or default is for non payment of the fine

It's working wheel in most of Europe. They are and do exchange. UK had an opt out so didn't do it automatically, but on request, and now, in 12 months it will be automatic
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-05-2014, 08:18

Morning folks,

I read a couple of months ago motorhomers have been prosecuted for not having a GB sticker on the front as well as the back, also for carrying thigs on the back seat such as shopping which was not secured.

norm
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-05-2014, 09:19 Thread Starter

its not a requirement to have country identification plates at the front, just the rear. That is under the Vienna Convention on International Circulation. Inside the EU it can be replaced with the country letters on number plates, back and front. Note that the symbols such as St Georges Cross, St Andrews Cross, Dragon, Manx 3 legs, etc are not a substitute for the country of origin letters at the rear

It may well be an offence here in some circumstances to have stuff loose. It certainly is in other countries, dogs for instance. In Spain they are supposed to be in a car harness or there should be a dog guard to keep them out of the driving area. In UK (and IOM) we are not so prescriptive, but if loose items, or pets, got under the pedals and as a result an accident occurred it would lead to a due care or even dangerous driving prosecution.

The directive is full of anomalies. Drink Drive limits vary between (in blood) 0, 50ug and 80ug per 100ml.

So I get charged and convicted in a zero tolerance country with 10 or in a 50 level with 60 and they report home. What could they do. I haven't broken the 80 level for conviction and disqualification in UK.

it is why EU wide penalty points and disqualifications are never likely to happen. Its a mine field.

We have reciprocal recognition of bans between IOM and UK. In IOM everyone convicted and banned has to retake their test. So UK license holder here on holiday gets banned for 12 months and has to retake his test before he drives again in IOM, but not before he drives in UK. End of 12 months gets license back and drives in England and in two years returns to IOM and gets stopped and done for driving whilst disqualified. Unintended consequence.

I'm police station duty solicitor out of office hours (yes weekends and overnight) all TT week (30 May to 6 June). I know from experience I shall get at least one of those
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-05-2014, 09:25

Hey up..

Anybody driven in Albania? every road rule that has been invented is totally ignored, even which side of the road to drive on.. If your side is better than the other side everybody uses it which ever direction the traffic is going. ..

And Italy more folk don't wear crash helmets than do and every single driver drives with a phone permanently stuck to their ear, even texting while buzzing around on scooters...

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page