Spain toll roads - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 15:04 Thread Starter

Spain toll roads

Hi, planning our next holiday and we are thinking of going down the west coast of France and crossing into Spain then driving across through Zaragoza and on to Barcelona then up the coast and back through the middle of France.
Is it possible to tell from the road numbers in Spain if they are toll roads? I notice some designate "A" and others "AP".

Thanks Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 15:11

Send a message via MSN to boringfrog Send a message via Yahoo to boringfrog
A and AP

A = Autoroute
AP = Autoroute Payant
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 15:19

Personal Aire
Sat nav will also give you advanced warning

Alan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 15:26

My Motorhome: Laika H680 Ecovip
We were advised that it was worth the extra expense to use the AP around Barcelona by a couple of motorhomers who hadn't. I think off hand it cost us about 11 euros so didn't break the bank and a heck of a lot cheaper than the French paiges. Didn't bother with any other pay routes whilst in Spain as they have new roads everywhere!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 20:40
DJP

Spanish tolls went up on 1st January by as much as 30%

Be seeing you! No. 6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatricbackpacker
We were advised that it was worth the extra expense to use the AP around Barcelona by a couple of motorhomers who hadn't. I think off hand it cost us about 11 euros so didn't break the bank and a heck of a lot cheaper than the French paiges. Didn't bother with any other pay routes whilst in Spain as they have new roads everywhere!

The AP7 (also called E-15 near Barcelona) is a toll motorway, but not around Barcelona (it used to be but not anymore).
Search Autopista_AP-7 in wikipedia

If you come from Zaragoza, you can use the A2 (free). A2 is the motorway built over the former N-2 (National 2).

If you don't want to go to Barcelona city, you have 2 main options:
-Easiest one: in Martorell you can switch from A2 to AP7, paying Martorell toll (maybe around 1 pound or 2 for a small/medium MH).
You will not pay, then, if you go around Barcelona using AP7 but leave it at exit 13 (Granollers)

-Cheapest one: after Martorell, and just after passing Molins de Rei, the A2 is parallel to B23 (part of the AP7 that goes into Barcelona city), you can then take an exit, cross over the A2, and get into B23, going back until after Molins de Rei you can take the AP7.

Once in the AP7, though, it may be a good option to take exit 14 (beware!! it is on the left lane... well that may be normal for you but it is a problem here) into the C-17, then either switch to C-25 after Vic, or to C-37. If you are not in a hurry, Girona's old city, the volcanoes around Olot, Besalú, are well worth a visit! I can provide advice on where to park and "wild camp" (if you can call that to sleep in a tarmac parking space inside the city)

BTW: tolls in Catalonia and in Spain are more expensive for double-wheel or double-axle, I have an old double-wheel '99 Transit and I avoid them). Heigth does not affect the charge (some toll lanes have heigth limiters, beware). Catalonia has little good free motorways, we have contributed a lot to the massive amount of free motorways in other parts of isPain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page