Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - View Single Post - Importing 2011 Hymer from Germany

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 21-03-2015, 20:15
mgdavid

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulbot View Post
I can categorically say, as I have read the guidance notes on the MOT tester's screen and asked his (Ford Commercial main dealer) interpretation of the rules concerning headlamps, that the headlamps do not have to point left on dip beam. For test purposes the headlamps must not dazzle oncoming traffic when dipped, but must show enough light to enable the driver to drive safely in the dark, therefore a device which blocks the 'dazzle' part of the beam is sufficient to pass the test but mustn't be too large as to reduce the beam's ability to light the road ahead. His understanding is that beam benders would probably not work sufficiently well as they are not precise enough to bend accurately. Therefore he would accept durable, correctly placed blocking material to comply with the rules (which are the same for VCA compliance and MOT).
I have an imported LHD Ford Transit and it has recently passed the VCA compliance test on this basis. As I drive mainly on the Continent it seemed a bit of a pointless exercise to change the headlamps completely.
I find this interesting as what you are saying countermands this:-
"The invoice must clearly describe the changes made to the vehicle; we need to know what has been changed and how this change meets UK compliance. A statement such as “changed headlights” is not sufficient evidence that, for
example, the original vehicle headlights have been removed and new, full UK specification left-dipping headlights have been fitted to the vehicle.
Where an item is fitted, as standard, suitable for the United Kingdom the garage evidence must make clear that the item is standard and how it is standard (e.g. the vehicle has rear-fog lights fitted as standard on both the rear left and right of the vehicle).
Please note that we do not accept an MOT certificate"

It would be very useful if you could give an example of the wording used on your declaration that resulted in a VCA being issued, so that those that come in the future know what is possible, and how to do it.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome