Thoughts on my proposed route? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-09-2017, 21:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thoughts on my proposed route?

I've never been to Italy in the van before so I'd appreciate any input into my proposed route.

Crossing from Annecy, heading for a few days bumbling round Lakes Maggiore and Como before heading to San Felice del Benaco on Lake Garda to join a CnCC rally for a week.

Then east to Venice, south to Modena, Bologna, Florence, Perugia, Rome, Pisa, Genoa. I'll have email about 3 weeks to do this bit after the rally. Am I trying to do too much?

Coming north to Genoa autoroute avoids the coast from Rome to Viareggio - is it unsuitable for a 6.2m 3.5T MH?

From Genoa, in the latter part of Oct, what's the best way to to head back in to France and up to the boats?

Many thanks to anyone who's managed to read this far!

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 11:26

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
if you do plan to drive over any of the high alpine passes, check out the weather forecasts (and if appropriate pass websites) first. There has already been a fair amount of snow on the higher passes, which is only likely to become more frequent as winter approaches so could render the pass undriveable. some passes like the Grand St Bernard from Italy into Switzerland close FULLY before the end of October for winter so always check that as well.

we're in Sardinia/Italy in October and plan to come back over the Col de Maddalena (Col de Larche) towards Barcelonnette/Gap on the way home but are keeping all route options open based on weather.

as for your route - yes it could be done in 3 weeks but you'll be blue arse flying it about too much imho. I'd just stick to the west and north and miss out Rome and Venice. when we come back from Sardinia we are planning Siena, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, and finally Genoa in 2 weeks and then home via Gap in France (we won't hang about when we hit France as we've done all that many times)

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 13:49

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,015 Times in 880 Posts
Personal Aire
Sounds way too much to me but I do take my time. Watch the roads around the lakes as well as it can take an age to get anywhere in northern Italy especially those lakes you mention.

Good point about the weather, dunno what Italy is like now but France has turned cold really quick.

From Genoa I would take the tolls round the coast at least as far as Nice or beyond

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 17:49 Thread Starter

Most of you must have thought I'd blown my mind with that route, cos I don't do fast, or a lot of miles either! Well, I have this week, for me. From Cherbourg to Bourg en Bresse in 6 days is fairly motoring for me.

So I've decided to drop Rome as suggested, especially as my sister has decided to fly out n join me for a week or so. I'll pick her up at Venice airport n see her off from Pisa.

So thanks for the advice. Re the return journey, I had thought of keeping to the coast from Genoa into France then taking a central route up through France back to Cherbourg. I'm assuming the Genoa - Nice bit would be passable all year? Or maybe I should be more adventurous?.! Who knows - I've plenty time to make up my mind.
JanHank and JanHank like this.

Jean
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 17:55

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Most of you must have thought I'd blown my mind with that route, cos I don't do fast, or a lot of miles either! Well, I have this week, for me. From Cherbourg to Bourg en Bresse in 6 days is fairly motoring for me.

So I've decided to drop Rome as suggested, especially as my sister has decided to fly out n join me for a week or so. I'll pick her up at Venice airport n see her off from Pisa.

So thanks for the advice. Re the return journey, I had thought of keeping to the coast from Genoa into France then taking a central route up through France back to Cherbourg. I'm assuming the Genoa - Nice bit would be passable all year? Or maybe I should be more adventurous?.! Who knows - I've plenty time to make up my mind.
For me to follow your trip Jean it would be nice if you kept it on one thread then I will be notified when you add to the thread, I think I must have missed a few places, have I?
Photo´s, what about photo´s?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 18:02 Thread Starter

Ah, but I was only thinking aloud on this thread Jan - haven't been anywhere on that route!

As to photos, I can't post from the phone as the only options when I press the Attachment icon are: Ah, they've fixed it! So I've added a photo of the monastery in Bourg en Bresse opposite which I am currently enjoying a vin rouge. My only limiting factor now will be data
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170915_171620_1505494781982.jpg (617.5 KB, 7 views)
JanHank and JanHank like this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
JanHank (15-09-2017)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-09-2017, 22:04

Personal Aire
Even dropping Rome, its alot of travelling. But it is possible if you simply want to look at the highlights of each place and possibly come back another time for an in depth look. It also depends on what your interests are, what do you really want to see, is it Italy for the scenery, or a close look at renaissance art, are you interested in church art, architecturally or the paintings and frescoes.

When we were limited by work to 3 weeks in mid summer we did a few of those dashes, 2 or 3 nights near each town and ticking off the "big sights" in the guide book and also some smaller ones specially recommended.

From Venice, and we've been visiting Venice for 30 years, what about Padua and the Scrovegni Chapel and or Ravenna for the mosaics. then Arezzo and across to Siena, San Gimignano then Florence, Lucca and Pisa. then possibly follow the coast north for the Cinque Terre and Portofino. The coast road along the Italian coast is fine, sometimes atostrada and sometimes super strada which can be a bit rough, but everything uses it.

As to the way back I'd go Milan, St Gotthard tunnel or pass (if open), (Italian motorways are cheap cf autoroutes) Lucerne, Basel, Metz, Luxembourg (cheap diesel) and finally Calais. Its a long way around the Italian coast to France and up to Cherbourg, and lots of time or lots of money on tolls.

I've more info if you want, just ask

cheers alan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-09-2017, 17:09

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
The fastest way back is through Austria , Germany, Belgium we found , without using tolls

When I decide to come home I want to be home even when in Croatia

Sandra
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-09-2017, 22:39 Thread Starter

Thanks Alan and Sandra. I need to get a map of Italy (have an atlas but it's overall map is very poor) so that I can get a better overall picture.

Jean
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 16:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
... From Venice, and we've been visiting Venice for 30 years, what about Padua and the Scrovegni Chapel and or Ravenna for the mosaics. then Arezzo and across to Siena, San Gimignano then Florence, Lucca and Pisa.
Thanks Alan. I've been having another look at your suggestions and they look good for after next Monday when I pick my sister up in Venice.

In the meantime I've left the rally and am now in Sirmione - a lovely area but ever so touristy and absolutely hiving with Germans today. I'm intending going to Verona tomorrow.

After that I'm open to suggestions - preferably east and north of where I am. As to what I like, I like it all - architecture, churches, art, just wandering around little old villages.... Having coffee n people-watching.

I was going to attach a photo of Sirmione castle but the options have reverted to the 4 that don't include the gallery. Actually, I'm just wondering.... I'm still using 2 phones so it's possible that I've got the right options on 1 and not on the other. Will have to investigate.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page