Thoughts on my proposed route? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 20:53

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post

In the meantime I've left the rally and am now in Sirmione - a lovely area but ever so touristy and absolutely hiving with Germans today. I'm intending going to Verona tomorrow.
Verona

There are two parking areas close to the town centre, one is a free carpark (dirt surface) N45.43679, E10.97749, a large area marked ** on the attached map about 300m directly north of the Aire below.

The other is a serviced AIRE marked * on the attached map at N45.43449, E10.97791 (total tar surface) at Ä10 for 24 hours. They are close to each other and are both just off the roundabout at Porta Palio. It is about 20 min walk to the Arena.

From the Aire when you leave turn right and walk 100m to the roundabout where you will be facing the Porta Palio.
From the parking area walk towards the roundabout where you will come out at the left hand side of the Porta Palio.

Walk around to the centre of the back of the Porta Palio and with your back to the centre of it you will see a tree lined street with military buildings along its right hand side. Walk up this street for 500m until you come to a castle CASTELVECCHIO on the left hand side. Proceed towards the furthest end of the castle where you will see a triangular pedestrian area with a large statue of a man on your right. (Just between 5 and 8 on attached map) Proceed through this pedestrian area and follow the street (200m) that leads away from it until you come to the main square, Piazza Bra. Turn left as soon as you come into the square and the Arena is 100m ahead slightly to your right. The main shopping street starts at the left front of the Arena.
Attached Images
File Type: png Verona map.png (518.2 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:19

Personal Aire
If you're in Verona you should join the crowds and have a look at the alleged Juliet balcony.

On the way to Venice it might be worth detouring to Padua to see the Scrogveni Chapel and then on to the Brenta Canal, there's at least one and from memory more than one Palazzos to visit most relate to Palladio, Palladian style and are stunning in his treatment of light and shading in the decoration. I've had to touch the walls several times to convince myself whether the wall is in relief or whether its just a painting.

Not sure where you intend stopping to see Venice, when we 're not with our local friends we tend to stop at Cavallino or Punta Sabbionni and get a day or period ticket for the boats around the lagoon and Venice. Venice can take as long as you wish, the highlights can be done in a day, with all the crowds, the quieter places are a maze of back streets and canals with a new site around every corner. It's worth having a look at the Lido and at the islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello on a day trip using the ferry boats.

Moving north, Castel Franco Venetto has a nice medieval centre and a Giorgione exhibition, his colours are stunning. Villa Emo near Fanzolo has reopened and is amazing. (see Google maps)

Asolo is a stunning hill town, there is/used to be an aire at the bottom of the town. The cafe is in the centre does sensational hot chocolate. the gelateria at the castle is amazing. There are superb views over the Venetto from La Rocca both towards Venice on a clear day and to the mountains to the north. You can't take your van in to the town.

If you fancy a look at the mountains, head north to the Dolomites towards Cortina, there's several campsites, 1 or 2 should still be open. For a trip up to the sky head west to Passo Falzarego for the views, there's also a cable car to the top and the Rifugio and you can wander amongst the WW1 trenches and tunnels (if you take a torch) (Italy and Austria fought all over this area in the high mountains. Back to Cortina and head north towarsd Dobbiacco but turn off to Tre Cime at Misurina (there's a sosta here). There's a private road up to the Rifugio lots and lots of parking and no doubt a few vans staying overnight. There's a good donkey path (suitable for pushchairs etc) along the front of Tre Cime to another Rifugio about an hour or 2 away. All the way around is about 6 or 7 miles at 2300m (7000 ft) but an easy walk on a nice day.

Dobbiacco has a nice campsite at the lago, posh loos and then west to Brixen and over the Brenner into Austria (under 3.5 tonnes you'll need a special road pass for most fast roads) although you can bypass these roads)

Then its back through Germany Luxembourg Belgium to Calais. 2 days hard driving from Dobbiacco with a pass through Austria.

Have fun, family tasks stops us being in Italy at this time as we usually are. It seems strange being at home in September and early October,

cheers alan

If you want to look at any of these look on Google maps, search and zoom in , you'll get photos and more info
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 14:54 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Wow, that's a lot of info, thank you both.

I'm parked on the paying aire in Verona which seems grand. No bother to walk in - as you say, 20mins or so. But I had to do it twice - I left my card in the trousers I changed out of and had virtually no cash )

I've been round the amphitheatre, San Fermo's church and Juliet's balcony as well as a number of the wee back streets. Loads more!

BTW, my card was in my pocket because I'd picked up GPL on the way. It was 24/7 so I'd my card in n started before the attendant came over but left me in no doubt 'the police say No!'

I know there's a current thread about this n I wanted to add my tuppence worth but I've Googled n can't find it. Can someone give me the link please? Thanks.

Jean

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 16:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
From Venice, and we've been visiting Venice for 30 years, what about Padua and the Scrovegni Chapel and or Ravenna for the mosaics. then Arezzo and across to Siena, San Gimignano then Florence, Lucca and Pisa. then possibly follow the coast north for the Cinque Terre and Portofino.
We're heading for Ravenna tomorrow Alan. If you had to choose only 1 building to see the mosaics which would it be? And what would be your 2nd choice?
Then I think we'll be heading to Siena, Gimignano and Lucca (missing Florence - as well as time restraints I think I'm citied-out )
Thanks for your help.

Jean
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 20:57

Personal Aire
Thats a question, I've had to have a look in the holiday diaries and the guide books!

It's very easy to get church, art and hill town overload in Italy we've managed it several times and take most Guide Books opinions with a pinch of salt, esp when they are comparing one town or region against another.

Anyway back to Ravenna, most of the good stuff (and mostly religious in Churches) is around San Vitali, there's the Basilica di San Vitali about 10 mins north west of the centre. There's a complex of sites accessible with one ticket. For something different try Domus dei Tappeti di Pietraabout 200 meters south of San Vitali and entered through the church of Santa Eufemia. It has Roman-early Bizantine mosaics.

Siena was fascinating, if you've a head for heights go up in the wall of the unfinished Duomo, they only built it partly but there are wonderful views.

We're really envious, our daughter was moving house, date unknown and we were wanted to look after the children, so we couldn't go away. Then that sale fell through so we're at home thinking how odd to be at home in September and October and not enjoying some late sun.

Enjoy alan
aldra and aldra like this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 13-10-2017, 09:14 Thread Starter

Thanks Alan - I'll do some enjoying on your behalf!

Jean
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-10-2017, 09:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Thanks Alan - I'll do some enjoying on your behalf!
And I did! Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm about to leave La Spezia and having done some investigation I decided to go via Mont Cenis. However, when I put Lanslebourg-Mont-Cenis in the satnav she says it's not possible without a toll road but I can't find where the toll road is or how much. Anyone have this knowledge?

Thanks.

Jean
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-10-2017, 09:30 Thread Starter

It may be the bit after Lanslebourg-Mont-Cenis that has the toll - Id put in Cherbourg via Lanslebourg-Mont-Cenis to get an idea of mileage.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page