User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 10:49 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Italy ....Yay or Nay ?

Morning all

We are unsure as to whether or not to tour Italy.

The only city we were planning on seeing is Milan, stopping at a campsite near otherwise it would just be small towns and villages on aires/campsites.

We have heard tales from other MHers that on numerous occasions vans have been broken into, and that Italy just isn't safe. One tale was a friend of a friend who had visited Italy 4 times, and each time they had been burgled !
I received the same advice 4 years ago and opted to tour France instead.

What is the consensus ?

Thanks

DJM

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 11:16

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
We've been to Italy many times using sostas most of the time and have never had a major problem, I think the risks are pretty much the same wherever you go in Europe, just take sensible precautions, always have a plan b and if a place doesn't feel right then move to the next.

Having said that, we did have an attempted burglary once while wildcamping in Sardinia back in 2007 but our deadlocks foiled them, didn't put us off and we've revisited many times since then.

Some bugger tried to force the cab door open in Calais once as well but we still go to France.

Pete
The Following User Says Thank You to peejay For This Useful Post:
DJMotorhomer (22-02-2017)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 12:17

We toured Italy for about 6 weeks right down to 2 weeks in Sicily with no problems at all. wild camping all the way, everybody was so welcoming especially other motor homers, we just looked as we travelled on to see if there were any other vans parked up and joined them.

We had a wild windy night camped up near the top of the volcano mount Etna in Sicily, at least it was cool enough to sleep!..

Italy brilliant go for it.

ray.
DJMotorhomer and DJMotorhomer like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
The Following User Says Thank You to rayrecrok For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 14:24

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048 A class
If you are thinking about Italy you are better to go for the maim towns, Rome is fantastic, Venice a little less so, Forence is a great town and Assisi is too. There will always be beggars, mostly women with styrofoam cups, sometimes accompanied by snotty nosed kids, just ignore their pleadings, they won't miss you few euros because they will be collected shortly by a son or husband or other relative in a pretty new BMW or Mercedes to go to a different pitch. Only carry a small amount of cash and small wallet in a front pocket. Do not carry a handbag or manbag, or if you must, have nothing of value in it. Always keep you eyes peeled for for whats going on around you and for likely robbers and avoid anyone asking for directions with a map (a popular cover for their accomplice dipping your pocket/bag.

Stay on recognised sites and use public transport to get into town centres, some sites have frees buses take you in and collect you later. For me sostas in or near large towns are a definite NO but possibly worth chancing in more rural locations.

Having said all that you will be fine as long as you are aware of the risks and take reasonable precautions. Oh, by the way. if you see young (and sometimes not so young) women sitting on white plastic chairs at the roadside in wooded areas, they are not waiting for a bus.
cabby, cabby, fingzuk and 3 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to iandsm For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 15:17

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
I've spent two winters in Italy and Sicily. After an attempted break in that buggered a lock (screwdriver banged in it looked like) in Verona wilding on a car park. We have adopted the same policies as iandsm, campsites near cities. Wilding fine in small towns and countryside. Also be aware that there are two Italys, North and south that are almost separate countries.

Although not as popular as in France, MHing is very popular in Italy with plenty of service points and sostas (aires) many totally free.

Dick
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 15:47

We've done Italy twice in the van, and many times in villas. It's my favourite country. We've never had a moment's bother, even in the supposedly scary Naples. We've wildcamped loads, and only once had the police knocking on the door, but we were camped next to the village's main water supply building in the snow - which looked a bit of an unlikely place to be!

However, we have a panel van and a dog (now 2 dogs), so I don't know if that makes a difference. We've never camped in a city, but have stayed in some lovely towns. Have a look at our blog entries for 2011 (about 8 entries) and 2016:

http://charliedogcametoo.blogspot.co...peninsula.html (start of 2011 entries)

http://charliedogcametoo.blogspot.co...lian-alps.html (start of 2016 entries)

As to beggars - well, to be honest I think I see more on the streets of Cambridge than I recall seeing in Italy.

I don't think you can beat Italy - history, architecture, art, food, scenery - you can beat individual bits in other countries, but for us Italy has it all.

Lesley
DJMotorhomer and DJMotorhomer like this.

Fancy a great ebook read? Try this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGULBU0

Read about our trip around Europe - http://charliedogcametoo.blogspot.co.uk/

Interested in writing? Check out my blog http://lesleysscribblingsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Would like to view my painting? Follow me on https://www.artfinder.com/lesley-hale#/
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesleykh For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 16:29

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Hey Ray we are parked up at Etna at this very moment.........................just waiting for sunset.......................hope it doesn't get too cold..........................the rabbit prefers to bask in the sunshine.

Surely Italy and Sicily are no worse than most other places................................if you're unlucky .......................but surely not worth avoiding what YOU want to do.

We are travelling back through Bulgaria,Romania and Eastern Europe.........................OMG

As an aside most thefts of motorhomes seem to occur from people's drives in the UK.
rayrecrok and rayrecrok like this.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
We are travelling back through Bulgaria,Romania and Eastern Europe.........................OMG.
Have fun. We travelled through those areas too and experienced no problems. When we were in Hungary the police were intent on checking papers so we were stopped about 5 times, and once coming into Poland on a forest track so we looked suspicious!

Also, we wildcamped near the top of Vesuvius if we're name dropping volcanoes!

Lesley

Fancy a great ebook read? Try this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGULBU0

Read about our trip around Europe - http://charliedogcametoo.blogspot.co.uk/

Interested in writing? Check out my blog http://lesleysscribblingsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Would like to view my painting? Follow me on https://www.artfinder.com/lesley-hale#/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 17:04

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
Hey Ray we are parked up at Etna at this very moment.........................just waiting for sunset.......................hope it doesn't get too cold..........................the rabbit prefers to bask in the sunshine.

Surely Italy and Sicily are no worse than most other places................................if you're unlucky .......................but surely not worth avoiding what YOU want to do.

We are travelling back through Bulgaria,Romania and Eastern Europe.........................OMG

As an aside most thefts of motorhomes seem to occur from people's drives in the UK.
Don't worry webby, I'm in Greece at the moment and came down through cz, Hungary, Romania, Serbia and Macadonia. Wilded 9 out of 10 nights and felt Absolutely safe in in the Cities. Wilded within a few hundred yards of the centre of Skopje, Bratislava, Brno, Pec etc. The excommunist states seemed extremely law abiding. Only place we were wary was Belgrade.

Dick
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 17:51

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Don't worry webby, I'm in Greece at the moment and came down through cz, Hungary, Romania, Serbia and Macadonia. Wilded 9 out of 10 nights and felt Absolutely safe in in the Cities. Wilded within a few hundred yards of the centre of Skopje, Bratislava, Brno, Pec etc. The excommunist states seemed extremely law abiding. Only place we were wary was Belgrade.

Dick
We live in Poland and tour parts of Poland and Slowakia.

Never given security a thought - except when we had a banging noise at 0200 - not raiders, or Police, just Truma heater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page