Italy ....Yay or Nay ? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 18:16

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We loved Italy

Spent two months there not a hint of a problem

Now I know we have the hound from hell so safe at night IF any problem arises , but never a muff all night from him

We enjoyed Venice even working around the Hell hound by getting 24 hr tickets , one evening visit one morning one

Rome was great stayed on a campsite that had a shuttle service to the metro, the ticket covered any transport for the day

Assisi we loved again a shuttle bus from the campsite

Piza we stayed free on the carpark, but I'm not sure you can now

We stayed on sostas , wilded , campsites

I really struggle to understand why one van would be targeted so many times

We take Shadow out out and leave the van unoccupied , never a problem

Italy is great

Sandra
Lesleykh and Lesleykh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 22:46

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
Italy is our favourite country too, we've spent 6 months there in 4 trips over the last 4 years. Probably going to the south this October/November as well.

Just found a nice little sosta in Piedmont at Prato Nevoso, you can see the vans just below my head. (ignore the date stamp - new gadget!)

Kev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nice Sosta at Prato Nevoso.jpg (1.17 MB, 26 views)
Lesleykh and Lesleykh like this.

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 11:47

Personal Aire
We've toured extensively in Italy for many years, its our favourite destination and we normally travel before and after the main season now. In the past we had to endure high season, with crowded campsites and very busy attractions. Now in the shoulder seasons campsites and sostas are much quieter and visitor attractions are much quieter.

We've preferred to do the Big Cities on a fly drive w/e in Nov or March when it is really quiet and we can stay in the heart of the city.

We started our touring in the Dolomites and the northern lakes and return regularly to our favourite spots, but they're all getting busier at what ever time of year. Cavallino across the lagoon from Venice can be a relaxing place with the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Venice by boat with all day tickets but a plan is needed for each day.

Touring just south of Venice through Padua, Ravenna, Perugia, Assissi, Montepulciano Siena, and back north to the lakes before heading home is wonderful countryside with marvellous old towns and the birth of the renaissance. Yes there can be too many churches, frescoes and paintings but there's always somewhere to unwind and relax.

We've never felt threatened, just like here or in France if we don't like the look of the place we move on there's always somewhere else and you find find some absolute gems like the town of Sulmona (the home of confetti, almonds covered in sugar paste).

We hope to be back in Sicily in May and June ( depends on hospital appointments).

Yes the roads can be awful but the motorway tolls are cheap cf France, but we're on holiday and not rushing, and just go with the flow with the driving, and don't get get bullied. There are two shocks in Italy, firstly rubbish and dilapidation, which gets worse as you head south and secondly "ladies of the night" (but day here) sat on plastic chairs by the side of roads in the middle of nowhere, but usually on obvious trucking routes.

So Italy is great, noisy, can be busy but great food and wine, enjoy

alan & sue

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 17:22

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
The plastic chair ladies are also busy in Spain. I thought they were waiting for the bus! Plenty of them in Paris too!

Italy has a totally unique atmosphere. But one hazard to be wary of is the shocking pushy drivers. They don't mind 'modified' vehicles. One ripped his bumper off by challenging the Bumparossa for merging lanes in Rome. Silly man!

On the subject of break-ins, a couple of years ago there was a mass break-in 10 vans at the campsite in Amboise during the June music festival. M. le Flic, said they come through every year and are well gone eastwards before anyone wakes up. Talented bunch.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 00:01

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanHymer View Post
....On the subject of break-ins, a couple of years ago there was a mass break-in 10 vans at the campsite in Amboise during the June music festival. M. le Flic, said they come through every year and are well gone eastwards before anyone wakes up. Talented bunch.
Yes, and I seem to remember one of the victims lost a top-of-the-range watch and rather a lot of money

Jean
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 08:02

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Yes, and I seem to remember one of the victims lost a top-of-the-range watch and rather a lot of money
Jean, I can categorically assure you it was not one of those. I was there, along with several other MHF members who were gathering informally for the music festival. I awoke to hear a commotion going on and it was the flic investigating. One van that was broken into was next to mine. Another victim was a young Korean family in a tent which was slashed and the Dad's rucksack lifted. In it were all their valuables, cash, passports, mobile phone and the keys to the hire car. They didn't have a euro to buy food for the kids nor could they go anywhere or cancel their cards. (Eggs, basket spring to mind, but I can understand their orderliness.) The couple in the van, who 'allegedly' had a watch and cash stolen, and their dog drugged were thoroughly respectable members of this forum. No-one suggested being gassed, btw.

This was one of the genuine ones, and very professionally done too. So the warning stands.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 08:12

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
A similar thing happened in France on a campsite we were on

The tent was slit and all valuables removed

MHomes were not targeted though

How was the dog drugged Viv ??

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page