Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Netherlands Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/132-netherlands-touring/)
-   -   Never Been a Big Admirer of the Dutch (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/132-netherlands-touring/236243-never-been-big-admirer-dutch.html)

MeFeinMcCabe 19-05-2019 22:23

Never Been a Big Admirer of the Dutch

...for loads of reasons based on regular contact with them on sites mainly in France and Germany.

However we went on a wee trip recently up to the Belgium/Dutch border staying at places around Sluis, Hulst and on the coast at Cadzand Bad.

Now we usually bypass Flanders Zeeland on the way up through Antwerp but I'm glad we stopped. Lovely towns with a rich history and we stayed at what they call mini camping small sites with decent facilities many in rural locations.

The people we met were all sound, so if you get the chance stop off on the way through, you will enjoy it.

barryd 19-05-2019 22:27

Just goes to show, you should never right off an entire nation of people because you met a few you didnt like once or twice. Progress, amazing!

MeFeinMcCabe 19-05-2019 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryd (Post 3033315)
Just goes to show, you should never right off an entire nation of people because you met a few you didnt like once or twice. Progress, amazing!

It's an age thing, I'm mellowing as I get older

Penquin 19-05-2019 22:44

Sadly, around here the Dutch are disliked for being aggressive and not respectful of others - totally crazy as all they are is glue to in more than one language and they are happy to use that.

The Dutch that we come into contact with are extremely warm and welcoming - that is at total odds with the perceived French attitude.......

It takes time to establish a relationship maybe that's the reason why they are not regarded positively by the local citizens.....

barryd 19-05-2019 23:13

Ive always found the Dutch I have met quiet and respectful. Amsterdam was an eye opener when I was sent there for training in the early 90s. I think I cried when I left. :D

dghr272 19-05-2019 23:17

Can only say we have found them amongst the friendliest folks on sites we have stayed on.

We have dozens of them now on our site in Spain, many are repeat visitors like ourselves and have become good friends.

Terry

raynipper 20-05-2019 08:18

Yep, we have several very friendly Dutch couples here who always muck in. But we have heard the Dutch tend to bring all their 'provisions' in their campers so don't have to buy local produce.

Ray.

EJB 20-05-2019 09:25

The easiest and most pleasant country and population in Europe.

baldlygo 20-05-2019 10:08

Much the same in our little French commune. A Dutch guy is our village's main gardener and he also runs popular gites which bring mostly Dutch visitors through the summer. Usually recognise them since most are really tall :smile2:
I am sooo jealous of their language skills.

H1-GBV 20-05-2019 13:15

We have several very good Dutch friends, mainly resulting from our school interacting with French, German, Spanish and Dutch schools through an EU initiative (Comenius Project).
They were always generous and willing hosts, as well as delightful guests when over here.
My two eldest children were both able to spend time in a Dutch school and there is still contact with some ex-pupils.

On-site I ALWAYS go to a Dutch camper for help: I've only once met one who didn't speak English reasonably fluently, I've never met one who was surly and they are almost always a fount of knowledge.

I concur with the sentiment about them being amongst the friendliest in Europe.
[However, I can't say that I've encountered many unfriendly folk and to classify them by nationality could be the start of a slippery slope which some people in the UK seems keen to pursue.]

Gordon