ferry cost verses milage costs?? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 12:34

Re: Sockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandSue
Hi Just to answer your question about sockets- yes there is usually only one its always been above the mirror and dressing table/ desk.

You will need your travel adaptor to use it so don,t forget to pack it with the kettle etc- we also take a small extension lead so that we can put the kettle on the floor for safety if its a rough crossing.
I have killed both birds with one stone by buying a double extension socket and fitting a French lead and plug.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27143...f14=108&ff19=0

Much more useful than a simple adaptor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 13:04 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 740
Personal Aire
maybe we wont be the only ones that take our own brew kit on board then,
Misty
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 13:05

Re: Ferry cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandSue
Are you a member of the Caravan Club? If so have you looked at booking the Hull ferry through them and adding 7 Camping cheques first then your ferry crossing.

This then gives you their ITX rates that are usuallty much cheaper and you can use your camping cheques over the following 2 years.

We use the Hull ferry most often as we live in North Yorkshire and like your self its much closer.

You can also book a 4 berth cabin for the same price as a 2 berth that way you both can have a bottom bunk and much bigger cabin.

What ever you decide have a good trip.

Steve and Sue
I was going to suggest that. If you pick the right dates, the camping cheques end up FREE!.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 13:13

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
We are in East Northants so Harwich is the easiest option for us, we cannot use the tuinnel anyway as both the Discoveries are LPG-fuelled and the Mercedes isn't on the road yet.

Even if the Merc was ready now, we'd probably still use Harwich as it works every time, no delays, no closures, no getting bumped off because they are full and it's nearly 400 miles driving against 200 for Harwich (to our Holland destination)

Not the cheapest, but we booked last year for this May's crossing, got it done and paid for well before Xmas. Special offers don't make a lot of impact on the fare, and we're always ahead of them in booking time as we have a show date to meet, we can't lose a day.

Speed is not important, but getting there in one piece definitely is!

I think that rushing off at the start of a holiday can be counter-constructive, better do it steadily and enjoy the drive.

Peter
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd
It boils down to one thing really.

You can save time OR money, never both. It all depends what value you place on your time.

I frequently do the maths as well. I live in Weymouth, to go via Dover (tunnel or ferry) the return cost is about 175. that's 200 miles each way for me. If I use Tesco vouchers then the crossing is "free" (yes I know I have paid for them really but I don't actually have to hand over any "money")

It takes a day out my holiday each way as its a 5 hour drive. However if I look to go from Poole or Portsmouth then the ferry cost (even if I do daytime sailings and save the cost of a cabin) the cost is well over 400.

So, what's the best option? 400 mile round trip to [email protected] (16 gallons of diesel at about 5 a gallon is 80) and a "free" crossing but a day out of holiday each way, OR a closer more expensive ferry at 450 and a saving of 2 days? 365 less cost versus two days "extra" holiday.

If I am going for a month then the travel to and from Dover (2 days) is worth it as the time to get there and back is a small percentage of my holiday, but if I only have 10 days do I sacrifice 20% of that time to save 365 (which buys a lot of meals/wine/campsite nights etc.) difficult eh??

(I have only taken the fuel cost into account, the other costs are very hard to quantify)

So basically there is no definitive/correct answer.

Andy
Maybe its because I am a newbie, That I love driving the Daffodil (sounds like the start of that well known cockney song anyway I digress)

Its not a chore yet

The minute Linda and Jolie (Wife and dog)in that order get in the van the holiday,excursion starts, maybe being retired makes it easier to spend the time instead of the money ,so for me its a no brainer

Its a pleasure spending time on agreeable tasks, but never enjoyable spending cash when there is an alternative

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-01-2015, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistycat
maybe we wont be the only ones that take our own brew kit on board then,
Misty
We've even taken our kit on the Dover-Dunkerque ferry before now.

It's so kind of them to provide the water, milk and sugar to go with our tea bag.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 22-01-2015, 07:33

I just spent the last hour searching for ferry crossings ( only mine is from Holland to UK no return )

Logged on here and viola here is the thread I hoped for.

Great Idea RE getting the 4 bunk cabin for the same price!

I am still debating the Hull---Rotterdam route or the
Newcastle---Ijmuiden route which costs almost twice as much but does put me much closer to Scotland.
I have been told to visit Scotland as early as possible before the Midges get bad ?

Aloha from Kauai
Leon
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 22-01-2015, 08:28

Ferry cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapplekid
I just spent the last hour searching for ferry crossings ( only mine is from Holland to UK no return )

Logged on here and viola here is the thread I hoped for.

Great Idea RE getting the 4 bunk cabin for the same price!

I am still debating the Hull---Rotterdam route or the
Newcastle---Ijmuiden route which costs almost twice as much but does put me much closer to Scotland.
I have been told to visit Scotland as early as possible before the Midges get bad ?

Aloha from Kauai
Leon

The actual driving distance in the UK between Hull and Newcastle ferry is only about 4=5 hours so depending upon the extra cost it may not be worth while paying the extra to arrive in Newcastle.

We used to use this crossing a lot as we live between the 2 ports but now find P&0 cheaper with the Caravan Club.

We usually visit Scotland in June or September but have fallen foul of the Midges once.

Have a good trip

Sue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page