• 2 Post By H1-GBV
  • 1 Post By barryd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-05-2019, 15:34 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Routes through Germany

In September we are heading off to northern Italy however I am short on ideas for crossing Germany.

We will be taking the channel tunnel and then want to get to Fussen on the German/Austrian border.

I am after some ideas of a route and campsites en route please. We will only want to:-

- Travel about 1.5 hours from Calais on our first night
- Travel a maximum of 3 hours driving each day thereafter

- Take 4 nights to do the trip with a preference for a 2 night stop in one place if possible.

A direct(9sh) route I have plotted on Google maps goes via Mons in Belgium; then Saarlouis; then Stuttgart however I am open to ideas and suggestions...especially on any campsites.

Thanks

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 24-05-2019, 20:00

We travelled to Fussen from Hook of Holland, via a circuitous route involving the Mosel.

However, I can highly recommend the site at Gangelt (€10 + €1.20 for ehu) which is run by a charity to support disabled adults, who are involved in the activities. It is set next to a park with boating lake etc. [The previous night was spent at the marina at Neer (€12.50 all inc), on the banks of the Maas - lovely spot with EHU, showers etc and even 2 bikes available from the Harbour Meister.]

Slightly off your route was the marina at Colmar (€15.44), again with EHU, showers, washing machine etc. Colmar has some very attractive buildings and was the home of the designer of the Statue of Liberty, so a smaller version stands on one of the roundabouts. Close by is a heritage trainline, with the possibility of a joint ticket with a Rhine cruise.

If you're interested in saving money, the free stallplatz at Rosenfeld was lovely and quiet, adjacent to a swimming pool and with pleasant walks.

The stellplatz at Fussen (€15+€3ehu) was OK and very close to shops but not much in the way of views. However, 20miles west is Nesselwang (€10+€0.50ehu), where you park at the foot of a lovely mountain with ski-slopes etc: much more attractive surroundings.

Enjoy - Gordon
chasper and GMJ like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to H1-GBV For This Useful Post:
GMJ (24-05-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 24-05-2019, 23:51

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Ive always ended up heading that way via France, Alsace, Black Forest then down the German side of Lake Constance over the Alpine Strasse (or whatever its called to Fussen. Probably not the most straight forward or quickest route and it would take us a fair chunk of time to do it but an interesting one. I hate that motorway route through Belgium past Brussels. Its as bad as the 320 miles south to Dover from here. We went that way a couple of years ago and via the Mosel and Romantic road. Romantic road is just a road, nothing special, Mosel is ok for a few days but the France, Black Forests and Constance route for me wins hands down. You would want a couple of weeks at least to make it worthwhile though I reckon.
chasper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-05-2019, 09:04 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I drove the romantic road in a sportscar a few years ago and agree. Until you get 10-15 miles from Fussen it's nothing special. Some nice enough towns on the way though...

Given that we want to maximise our time in northern Italy we will only be transiting though Germany on the way there and France on the way back, on this trip. Next September (2020) we are going to southern Germany for a month though so will do some bimbling around then...

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-05-2019, 09:20

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Your roughly proposed first route sounds the best bet then really. Plenty of Stellplatz so just wing across through Belgium I reckon.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page