Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   France Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/)
-   -   avoiding the millau viaduct (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/87762-avoiding-millau-viaduct.html)

seanoo 17-07-2011 14:24

avoiding the millau viaduct

hi, how much of a bind is it going round the millau viaduct? on my way home from spain last year they tried to charge me the class 4 Ä29 price which according to their website is correct as i am 4.2 tonnes. luckily they let me go through on the class 2 in the end after 20 minutes of arguing. not wanting to repeat this i am thinking of using the road through millau to avoid the bridge this winter, is this a pain or is it ok, all the best sean

100127 17-07-2011 14:30

Not a problem. Went that way coming up from the south. Adds 15 mins to the journey but easy route.

Grizzly 17-07-2011 14:33

Re: avoiding the millau viaduct

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanoo
i am thinking of using the road through millau to avoid the bridge this winter, is this a pain or is it ok, all the best sean

We do this most of the time because we want to overnight in Millau. It's no problem in the off-season though it can get busy in high summer - though considerably less so than it used to be before the bridge !

The roads are fine and it is well-signed. I imagine they are kept clear in winter because it is the only way out onto the autoroute for the town.

G

rayrecrok 17-07-2011 14:41

Hi.

There be some big hills there be!.. My mate blew his Isuzu's jeeps big end on one of them as he was towing the boat back from Spain, I stopped in our car with our boat on the back to help, we were sent on our way by a French guy in a big land rover with a big illuminated sign guiding other motorists around any broken down vehicles..

I tried to set off but the diesel Mondeo estate wouldn't move the hill was so steep, so I had to roll back and jack knife the trailer so I could set off across the road instead of up it, just to get any momentum at all and managed to get going in first gear all the way to the top..

The bridge is a god send at nearly any price.

capitanjohn 17-07-2011 14:43

We have always paid about 9 euros but the end of last year they charged me 20, I questioned the price but they insisted that was the correct price. Coming back a couple of months ago I drove through Millau which took a lot longer and very twisty, so on reflection I saved some money but it took about 1 hour longer.
If you are not in a hurry its worth stopping in Millau as there are lots of nice sites by the river in the town.
john

asprn 17-07-2011 14:51

Re: avoiding the millau viaduct

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanoo
they let me go through on the class 2 in the end after 20 minutes of arguing

What point did you argue?

Dougie.

Pudsey_Bear 17-07-2011 14:53

I'd pay to cross that bridge, but I wonder how did they manage before the bridge if it's so bad the old way.

Is it closed in windy weather?

erneboy 17-07-2011 15:14

We find going through the town avoiding the bridge no problem at all. It's spectacular viewed from below, Alan.

peedee 17-07-2011 15:24

I agree no problem. I have done it with both a caravan and a motorhome. Never been across the bridge yet, under it yes but not across it.

Prior to the bridge and the auto route this route south used to be spectacular but horrendous. Only ever did it once in peak season and it was so bad we decided to pull off the road and get the chairs out in the sunshine for a couple of hours until the jams subsided. :lol:

peedee

chrisgog 17-07-2011 15:52

Drive off no pronlem. You will get a much better view of the bridge too. Stop in Millau itself as this is fine and take the road to Tarn Gorge as loads of campsites there (not sure in winter though)
chris