Will the South of France be full?? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 21:18 Thread Starter

Will the South of France be full??

We are off to the South of France 2 weeks tomorrow. We have the first week down there booked (La Vielle Ferme), we leave there on 13 August with nothing booked after that. I'm suddently getting twitchy and thinking that maybe we should have booked up some more sites because all the aires may be full and the sites may be full. After La Vielle Ferme we plan to go to Aix en Provence for a few days, Avignon for a few days and then down to Aigues Morte for 4/5 days before moving on.
Has anyone got any experience of this area in the middle of August? We both work in a school so we have no choice about our dates. We have tried 2 sites, one said they were full and one said he didn't take bookings.
We would be happy to be on aires but I imagine they will all be full at this time. If I thought we could just turn up to sites and find pitches I would feel happier but I have this nightmare that we are going to get turned away and I won't get to see Aix or Avignon........
If time was not a problem I wouldn't mind so much but when you're on a limited timescale you want to make the most of every day.
Please, please give me the benefit of your wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 21:28

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
no the south isnt like normandy. You should have no problems partcularly around Sete to Spain border. We would move in the morning find an Aire by 11 or 12 enjoy the area and the sun.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 21:29

Heaving

From Experience.

Heaving, brimming and crammed.

Think Sardines in a hot tin.

TM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 21:30

Re: Will the South of France be full??

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperelda
We are off to the South of France 2 weeks tomorrow. We have the first week down there booked (La Vielle Ferme), we leave there on 13 August with nothing booked after that. I'm suddently getting twitchy and thinking that maybe we should have booked up some more sites because all the aires may be full and the sites may be full. After La Vielle Ferme we plan to go to Aix en Provence for a few days, Avignon for a few days and then down to Aigues Morte for 4/5 days before moving on.
Has anyone got any experience of this area in the middle of August? We both work in a school so we have no choice about our dates. We have tried 2 sites, one said they were full and one said he didn't take bookings.
We would be happy to be on aires but I imagine they will all be full at this time. If I thought we could just turn up to sites and find pitches I would feel happier but I have this nightmare that we are going to get turned away and I won't get to see Aix or Avignon........
If time was not a problem I wouldn't mind so much but when you're on a limited timescale you want to make the most of every day.
Please, please give me the benefit of your wisdom!
Sites will be busy at the places you have chosen but, if you turn up at the site or aire soon after lunch you should not have a problem. That will give you all afternoon to sight-see and, if you want to stay next day, your van on site already.

The site at Avignon is huge and there is a smaller, but we think nicer, site a little further away - a municipal site ( can't think of the name- lez Avignon comes into it somewhere). Both are in my entries in the MHF campsite database.

There is a vast aire at Aigues-Mortes, over the canal from the town and giving wonderful views of the town. Again, turn up early and have change to pay on entry.

We stayed at a site on the outskirts of Aix - see MHF under my name again- and there was a very good bus service from outside the gate and it was such a lovely friendly site. It was family run and not big so might be worth trying to book. If you want to go to Marseilles there's an excellent, very frequent and fast coach service from Aix whcih could not be easier.

French campsites are a little more relaxed about packing people in- none of your 6m rules! so, if you are prepared to be a little squashed then you must not worry about not finding somewhere. even if the worst come to the worst then you can still find roadsides or car parks and no-one will bother you if you are discreet.

Enjoy...it's a gorgeous part of the world.

G
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 21:43 Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, I already feel better - what a wonderful site this is!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:03

PS Forgot to say; if you've not been to Marseilles before then go ! We were really amazed by it- totally different from what we had imagined. There is a very good bus service all round the bay that takes you to all the major places.

Another interesting place with a good municipal campsite ( bus to town at the entrance) is Nimes. That's a huge site and I doubt ever fills up.

G
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:25

We're going at the same time as you and have a week booked the other 4 weeks we just take pot-luck. As long as you don't want isolation you'll be fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:33

Hi ,

We are going to French Alps similar period as you....

I have looked at booking many sites and all have space, so i have only booked the first few days and we`ll wing it after that.

I pretty confident we wont have to many problems..

Have good hols

Gareth
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:44

Send a message via AIM to tony645
We are also going end of this month for 5 weeks, nothing booked apart from the tunnel, have a good one :P
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:52

Hey Gareth

if you're passing Chamonix I'd really recommend http://www.chamonix-camping.com/uk/welcome.html - Camping Mer de Glace.

Stayed there a few weeks ago - originally planned a few nights and stayed 2 weeks! Not sure how busy it will be in peak season though

esperelda - you'll find it will be peak season for the French (think whole country on holiday and down at the Med at the same time!) BUT if you're flexible you should be able to find a pitch. Good advice about arriving late morning /early afternoon BUT many main sites only rent Sat-Sat during July/Aug. Big disadvantage of booking in advance is a crippling 'admin' fee (think ripoff) even for a single night or two at this time of year - in addition to pitch fees + extras.

Favorite palces: Municipal at St Maries de la Mer is huge + good (watch out for mozzies) or the Clos du Rhone campsite (http://www.camping-leclos.fr/ ) the other side of town; don't miss Aigues-Mortes, see previous comment; Argeles-sur Mer has heaps of campsites including a great municipal right on the beach; Coillure is brilliant but camping limited (we stayed before at Les Criques des Portails - http://www.lescriques.com - but it's quite a walk to town centre).

Also try France Passion ( http://www.france-passion.co.uk - you need to join in advance) think network of Caravan Club CLs - small, free and no reservation in advance: pitches first come first served. Very useful as a 'backup', about 30/yr.

Good luck et 'bonnes vacances'!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page