Robberies in France and Spain - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 14:12 Thread Starter

Robberies in France and Spain

Hi

If this forum on this subject has been done before then I do apologise.
Has any one been robbed while on their travels or been gassed or similar problems with the scum of society in France and Spain.
I would like to know. What precautions can we take. how did the local police deal with you ,my french is at best poor. putting your point over, is there any one we can contact to help us. do the French and Spanish Police use marked or unmarked cars. I am prepared to drive away from any situation but I may have been stopped or pulled over by the genuine police wouldn`t look good would it.any scrap od info would be useful to every one I think.

We are not naive we would not get out together we would not stop on
motorway aires or dodgy ones.

Just any info please. I know that these things happen very infrequently but its best to get an Idea

many thanks Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 14:19

Hope you have a thick skin Les.

You mentioned the "G" word, and that's like a red rag to the rampant mob on here. (Just put "Gassing" into the forum search, and you will understand. )

I'll let them explain - but gently please. "Infrequent" members are not expected to come complete with all the knowledge and information we dedicated (addicted! ) old farts have accumulated on here.

Dave
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 14:36 Thread Starter

Hi

Ive heard about the gassing and how it probably can not happen because of the amount of gas needed. The point of my topic is to get information from people who have been in these other situations and how they dealt with it ( robberies, being stopped on motorways by bogus police or so called do gooders) not the specific thread of Gassing.
I hope that clarifies the thread. Forewarned is forearmed

Les

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 15:19

It’s a myth. Many people have said that they know someone who has a friend who this has happened to. Not once have I heard from someone who it has happened to first hand and there is evidence.

Now even the “The Royal College of Anaesthetists” has come out and said It's a Myth

Think about it? A fully trained anaesthetist has to take body mass, pulse rate plus lots of other variables into account to ensure they don't give too much and kill the patient or too little and the patient isn't knocked out and this is under a controlled environment.

The dumbass criminals would have to know the vehicles full specs, how many holes that would leak gas and at what rate. Where the passenger was sleeping (up top or down low) as some gases rise and others sink. So many variables. They are bound to get it wrong on most if not all attacks so you would either find reports of dead motorhomers or of motorhomers chasing off burglars who most likely would leave the gas cylinder behind in their haste to get away?

As for non gas burglaries I would say deadlocks on all doors and maybe a rape alarm attached to the handles of each entry point and you should be safe

Karl

PS: I did try to keep the gas section polite, informative and helpful
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 15:41

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,003 Posts
Personal Aire
Ah good! A gas and robbery thread. This should keep me busy until the bar opens.

Ill chip in and defend France (dont really go to Spain much) in that your more likely to choke to death on a Frogs Leg than get into bother in France. UK is a much more dangerous place I think.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 15:56

We always look around the place we intend to stay if we don't like the look of it move on.

Always park with the nose pointing in the direction of the exit don't leave anything on show.

Safe travels Andy

There are no typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in my post. What you are seeing is the evolution of the English language in action.
This post may be unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs,if you are please disregard the above post. Andy
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 16:05

Here we go again eh ?

Gassing ,in the main ( no pun) its got to be myth,maybe it happened once or twice somewhere but seriously come on ?.

I travel regularly back and forth to southern Spain through France and have only ever seen marked police patrols ( well you would wouldn't you ) but they are not stupid and there are many authoratative comments here from the past that will state that genuine police patrols marked or unmarked will not complain if you keep going until you reach a service area if they wish to stop you.
If you think you are in danger just call normal emergency number (112) .In Spain also call 902102112 ( for english speaking Police ,based in Madrid).
As said before make sure doors are always locked, add extra locks ,carry camera, have good alarm with panic setting ,park amongst other vehicles especially HGV if possible , be vigilant at all times.Put yourself in the thieves position and think what kind of vehicle you would try to break into if you wanted to and take it from there
This may sound like overkill but all this I believe actually applies in this country as well. Never be complacent.For the scumbags out there you are a target vehicle unfortunately, but these low lifes can be defeated easily if you think hard about it.
I would also recommend this book download as a must for anyone with a motorhome

http://www.motorhome-books.com/2009/...rity-handbook/

hope I am of some help just go and do what you want and dont worry thats the main thing.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
clipped........Ill chip in and defend France (dont really go to Spain much) in that your more likely to choke to death on a Frogs Leg than get into bother in France. UK is a much more dangerous place I think.
Ditto from us.

As newbies to MH'ing over the Channel, we were quite apprehensive at first, but I have to repeat as before, that we have never felt safer, than we did on either French/Belgian Aires, or German Stellplatz.
It was such a contrast as to how safe we felt about wild camping in the UK.

Go for it, and enjoy.

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. Autoroute/Autobhann Aires are not recommended for safe overnight stopovers. Go and find a village or town Aire/Stellplatz.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by les1
Ive heard about the gassing and how it probably can not happen because of the amount of gas needed
If you heard about it from the Royal College of Anaesthetists, then remember what you were told. Otherwise, forget what you were told.

Quote:
The point of my topic is to get information from people who have been in these other situations and how they dealt with it (robberies, being stopped on motorways by bogus police or so called do gooders)
It is very, very, very, very, very, very, rare. From what I've read of verifiable first-hand accounts (two that I can recall over several years), it occurred because they were incredibly naive, and in one case, frankly stupid.

Quote:
...not the specific thread of Gassing
That'll disappoint a lot of people, particularly those returning from the pub.

My advice? Drive normally, take normal sensible precautions when stopped (filling up with - and paying for - fuel etc.), and enjoy the scenery.

Dougie.

By way of postscript:- I came across a thread posted earlier this year by someone who had suffered theft from their motorhome in France. Unfortunately, they created their thread with the title "Robbed in France", despite then going on to say, "Just to warn folks, we were broken into and robbed in broad daylight on the Carrefore car park in Narbonne on the way down. They broke in through the bedroom window and took camera, phones and computer, non of which were on view, luckily they didn,t get any money or passports. We were only in the shop about 20 mins..."

I suggested (to no avail) that they might want to change the unintentionally-misleading title to "Motorhome broken into in France", as robbery is theft with violence (from a person). My point - just to clarify that robbery is very rare anywhere, but is frequently referred to wrongly instead of theft (or burglary in the case of premises).
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 16:28

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Les,

Living in Guernsey which one can say is a fairly safe place to live (and long may it continue) given the choice of going north or south on the ferry I would chose south anyday. I feel a great deal safer and less jittery on the continent then I do in the UK. Just take normal precautions and enjoy. I also feel a lot safer on the roads too in most of Europe but thats another discussion.

Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page