Am i Being Stupid? Can't Find The Guide Lines!!!! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 11:55 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to frenchfancy
Am i Being Stupid? Can't Find The Guide Lines!!!!

It is probably me but i can't find the guide line to put the beam benders on my Swift Sundance 590RS headlights for France, on my old McLouis the guide lines were clearly visible. I hear you all tutting, (woman) or do i no longer need them. Need the guidance as we leave for France in 2 weeks for 9, and don't want to blind anyone. Cheers fellas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 12:53

Sorry can't help, only sympathise. Had the same problem with my Transit. Lots of vehicles have clear lenses these days so no guidelines at all. However, the beam-benders I bought gave dimensions from centre of bulb to a reference point on the beam-bender itself.
Alternatively, you can buy headlamp covers for many vans that have an integral mask. You protect the expensive headlamp and bend the beam at the same time. Try Formula 4 (I believe) or just Google Van accessories or similar. Mike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 13:59

Re: Am i Being Stupid? Can't Find The Guide Lines!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfancy
I hear you all tutting, (woman) or do i no longer need them. Cheers fellas!!!
No tutting here - ladies in distess assisted "tut-free" wherever possible.

In my opinion, and from personal experience, I'd say don't bother with beam benders.

If you press the little button on your right lower dash until the headlight registers "down" as far as it will go, that should be enough to ensure you don't dazzle anyone on dipped beam.

It does mean you can't see very far ahead on dip, but driving a bit slower in the dark and on the "wrong" side of the road is no bad habit anyway.

Hope this helps - I no longer fit them and have yet to be "flashed".

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 14:41

I had heard that it was illegal to travel in France without the beam benders, even in daylight - allegedly

True or False?

Geoff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 16:07

Hi Geoff

As far as I can determine, and I can't find anything really convincing, it is a legal requirement in France (and other countries) to "adjust" your headlights for night driving.

Nowhere can I find any reference to a similarly legal requirement for beam benders, masking material etc., but there are suggestions that in the unlikely event of coming across a spot check, you will be far less likely to be pulled over if there is something obvious on your headlamps.

(Locals in Dover could make a fortune if they trained the seagulls to crap accurately enough!! 50p per dollop would seem a reasonable fee!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 17:18

Hi Dave

some varying views here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/for.../ShowPost.aspx

and here

http://tinyurl.com/3q2dsx

Geoff

re the bird crap - I was out walking with my brother on Heysham Head a couple of weeks ago and a seagull crapped on his bald head However this is not a lucky omen as we both bought lottery tickets but guess what, not one number between us
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 17:40

Re: Am i Being Stupid? Can't Find The Guide Lines!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfancy
I hear you all tutting, (woman) or do i no longer need them. Cheers fellas!!!
No tutting here - ladies in distess assisted "tut-free" wherever possible.

In my opinion, and from personal experience, I'd say don't bother with beam benders.

If you press the little button on your right lower dash until the headlight registers "down" as far as it will go, that should be enough to ensure you don't dazzle anyone on dipped beam.

It does mean you can't see very far ahead on dip, but driving a bit slower in the dark and on the "wrong" side of the road is no bad habit anyway.

Hope this helps - I no longer fit them and have yet to be "flashed".

i agree i haven't used them for years, i don't know of anyone being pulled
for not having them on
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 19:22

I agree with others, haven't used them for years, as Dave says lower the lights if possible.
You could put some insulating tape on and then pull it off hoping it will leave a mark, then if you are pulled up say "I did have some on, they must have been blown off" ......smiling sweetly of course.
Cheers Sid.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 19:28

Hi we took some with us and whilst parked up at Calais, my Husband was going to fit them, he looked at the other MHs parked up and couldn't see any fitted onto the other MHs there, so in the end he didn't put ours on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2008, 21:52

Hi.

We had to take our burstner for its second MOT today at Colchester councils testing station. Earlier in the week I removed our beam benders with disastrous results to the offside light. The glue and backing pad would not come off with hot water and washing up liquid no matter how hard I tried. I then used a small amount of petrol on a rag, the moment it touched the plastic headlamp the lamp crazed over where the petrol touched. To cut a long story short I ordered a new headlamp from a fiat dealer 138 hoping it would arrive before the MOT - no luck. Took the van for the MOT and it passed as the headlamp beam was not affected. The MOT tester told me there was no need to remove the beam benders as they only make the dip beam dip straight down. I cannot count how many times an MOT tester has told me the dip beam on my cars lights over the years are not dipping enough to the nearside of the road. I will buy new beam benders but may not fit them but carry them with me in the van just in case I get stopped and need to put them on.

steve & ann. ------- teensvan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page