Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   France Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/)
-   -   speed in france this summer and good bye m/h (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/31774-speed-france-summer-good-bye-m-h.html)

chapter 13-01-2008 12:07

speed in france this summer and good bye m/h

i just come across this see here
chapter

Zebedee 13-01-2008 12:12

Re: france this summer

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapter
i just come across this see here
chapter

Thanks Chapter. Very useful link.

Can I suggest you make your title a bit more dramatic to grab people's attention. This is potentially quite important information - especially as some of the laws have been updated quite recently.

Cheers

chapter 13-01-2008 12:29

hi dave i had a heavy night so the brains on half speed but you are right i heard about a lady who had to have her car transported back by train after having her licence take on the side of the road for doing twice the speed limit past a village sign post and the signs are some times a fair way from the first building
chapter

vicdicdoc 13-01-2008 13:44

My understanding is that the village signpost IS also the sign that the speed is limited whilst going through the village & right up to the sign saying your leaving the village . . . keep it to under 28mph & you'll not fall foul of the ler :wink:

chapter 13-01-2008 14:00

yes a sign like this red boarder going in to town/village without red boarder and a red bar leaving speed limit 50k 28 mph

see here
chapter

thefman 13-01-2008 14:19

:roll: serves them right whats the hurry their on holiday for gawds sake :)

teemyob 13-01-2008 14:33

Speeding

Also be aware, if your vehicle is over 3500kG's or if you are towing, many towns no have new lower speed limits for your vehicle. Max 30kph rather than the 50kph for a car and you better stick to it.

Trev.

Shark 13-01-2008 14:38

50 kph used to equate to 31 mph, unless something's changed.

Shaun

chapter 13-01-2008 14:54

you are right it's 31 but when we are france i change the satnav from miles to km and it as a speedo
chapter

teemyob 13-01-2008 20:04

kph

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark
50 kph used to equate to 31 mph, unless something's changed.

Shaun

Yes it is roughly. However, in many French towns there are new lower limits for vehicles over 3500kG's. This includes vehicles that may alone weigh <3500kG but when towing the train weight is over the 3500kG limit.

So should you be driving towards a town that has a sign stating

With another sign under it stating
with a truck or similar sign stating over 3,500kG's it means just that. Any vehicle or combination that is over 3500kG's must not excede 30Kph.

Yes you will get irate drivers up your rear end because they have no idea why you are near to a crawl. However, you will often find a group of Police towards the exit of the town waiting to pounce. Where drivers often fall foul of the law as they do not realise that towing often takes them over the aforementioned weight limit.

Trev.