Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Winter Tyres Anyone?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Penquin 
#1 ·
I've only just seen this and since I live in a department (87) which is included I am concerned that this might impact me. However, from this article. it would appear that it will only apply to certain municipalities - not the whole department.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Its surprising where I have contravened such a law, even had road signs stating compulsory winter tyres on some high roads in Sicily in the winter months. BUT I have had winter tyres now fitted (4 years ago) not a big difference in ride on a 6 ton sprinter and generally wear is not a consideration with a MH is it?

#5 ·
Personally I won't have anything but winter or four season tyres on any vehicle. We live in Dept.50 but sometimes wet grass can need extra traction.

Ray.

#6 ·
Ours are Michelin Agilis Camping which are specifically marked CP as suitable for motorhomes and the occasional high stress use plus higher pressure than normal Michelin Agilis, they are also marked M+S so comply with the new requirements.

#7 ·
Dept numbers are a bit boring, meaningless to most I imagine, glad we have proper names for our local areas.

#9 ·
All our departments have a name and the numbers just follow the names in alphabetical order. Ours is Haute Vienne (87) - the Vienne is 86 so it follows the 'V'.

It is a good system and has advantages - All postcodes start with the department number and ours is 87310. Another good thing is that they do not change because of political gerrymandering. Car registrations used to have the department numbers included but that meant you had to change registrations when you moved home or bought a car from another department. That was not so good so the system was changed about 15 years ago.

#8 · (Edited)
They are until you get used to them, just like County names.

They were deliberately arranged in a random manner to prevent the North - South feelings that are so apparent in the U.K. now. But, of course, I still have to check a map to find where most of the ones that I do not use frequently are to be found.

47 is home Department

24 is Dordogne, just next door (5km),

17 is Charente-Maritime, where one of my daughters lives,

33 is Gironde where Bordeaux is and major medical advice and treatment

Interestingly, there is no Department 20, but 2A and 2B cover Corsica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_France

So, you get used to knowing what you visit….

#10 · (Edited)
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the French department numbers related to the alphabetical letter of the department or main town. Will take another look.

https://www.france-pub.com/departements.php

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin
#11 · (Edited)
47 is Lot et Garonne and main town is Agen….

17 is Charente-Maritime - main town is La Rochelle

24 is Dordogne - Perigeaux.

Would be interested to find out.

This link gives some clues and nothing very easy to find out though…. It's French logic ! There is no hard and fast rule, some use river names, others mountains. Paris is the smallest and the Gironde the largest, oh what fun…..

https://maryannesfrance.com/french-departments/

I suspect similar games could be played with British Counties….

Smallest used to be Rutlandshire I believe, largest used to be Yorkshire ? Smallest now is the Isle of Wight, other sources say City of London, largest is North Yorkshire, or is it ? Devonshire has also claimed that crown….

#12 ·
#14 ·
We got a street name and number about 3 months ago. ALL delivery addresses are to be marked, they use the name of the direction of the road as it's name eg Chemin de Calais and the distance from the junction as the house number eg 1678 Chemin de Calais would be 1678 m from the start of that road.

This is required for the provision of fibre optic service - ours is scheduled for 2005, but I will not hold my breath….

But it is at least progress to get the official letter with the address with instructions to copy it to bank, health authority, medical insurance, electricity provider, water company, telephone company, car registration, insurers, general dogsbody and anyone else you can think of…..

French bureaucracy at its worst best ?

#18 ·
Barking mad

#19 · (Edited)
Not if further houses could be built that avoids 44a, 44b, 44c etc.,

The one thing France has is plenty of space where people suddenly want to live….

Many of the delivery addresses are farms, so the traditional manner would not work.

The French have no trouble saying “Mille, six cents, soixante dix hurt”. (That surprised me too 😂 )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.