Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Pet Friendly Cabin Search

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bilbaoman 
#1 ·
Nor sure whether we will go to Spain this winter but IF we do we are looking to cut out a lot of the driving we usually have to do. The only way we can see to do this is to use the Ferry rather than the tunnel which means a pet friendly cabin. The kennels are not an option as we have heard some truly awful tales.

We already know that belonging to the BF "club" is best but we are not frequent fliers and so the outlay needs to be worth it i.e a guarantee of a cabin. My question is how do we, if we join the BF club, go about getting a cabin? Is it best to just phone them or do it online or do it through the Camping and Caravan Club? Do we think it will be easier this year due to lower demand or are there less ferries running?

#2 ·
I think you just need to book early or check for cancellations

We were offered a pet friendly cabin at short notice which I suspect was a cancellation, I think that those who travel to Spain every year book a year in advance

I certainly wouldn’t use pet accommodation on any long crossings , we froze to death remaining on deck with shadow till late at night and back again early morning on the Santander crossing, some of the dogs were clearly traumatised and is was us that spent time talking to them as no other owners appeared

The crossing to Holland was even worse as the pens are on the car decks and could only be accessed with a crew member and you couldn’t take them out of the cage and getting someone to accompany you wasn't easy and they were in a hurry to get back above deck The burb made it sound like free access which certainly wasn’t the case

I’d phone them but don’t hold your breath on availability Pat

We only use the tunnel now, quick and stress free for the dog

Sandra

#3 ·
Some years ago, now, we used the pet friendly cabin service and it was fine. I would never use the kennels for reasons you have just outlined. Our, then, bitch could hold her toilet for hours and hours and, from memory, I don't think she ever did go until we disembarked. I have known of a Mastif bitch that held on for nearly 48 hours because she was away from home at a show. She just refused to toilet away from home. My brother had a GSD who was similar. Only ever went at home.

#4 ·
Given the size of the cages in relation to the size of the dog

Can you imagine the state of the dog if he couldn’t hold on?

A wee would soak him through and I dread to think what he would like if he did more than a wee

Not the nicest condition to take back into the MH

Santander does at least have an exercise deck and a hose pipe to clear up after your dog, but it’s long lonely night for them even if like us you stay till past midnight and return again by 6am, I don’t know if Shadow slept I certainly didn’t

Sandra

#5 ·
Exactly what we heard, Sandra, and why we would not use the kennels. With the pet friendly cabins they stay in your cabin with you all the time.

I asked them why they do not lay on more of the pet friendly cabins but they just said that it is the way the ships are configured. I bet they could fill up a whole ferry with dog owners and their pets.

#6 ·
But I suppose they need to be accessible to the exercise deck for dogs Pat

I don’t think it will be a concern of ours in the future, I’m not sure we would take shadow abroad again

And he will be our last dog to travel abroad

It’s looking unlikely that we will travel abroad in the MHome if Covid continues

Sandra

#7 ·
I don’t think being a member of BF’s Club Voyage gives any preferential treatment as far as cabins are concerned.

I have sent you a PM with some information that might be of use to you to save a few quid on any crossing.
If anyone else wants the same info just PM me.

Reactions: patp and aldra
#8 ·
At the moment you will find travel in the region of Bilbao and Santander difficult as both the Basque Country and Asturias have closed thir borders and the people in in the basque country cannot leave their own towns except for work or medical reasons these restrictions will last for the next 15 days but will continue until there is a drop in covid cases.

#9 ·
I am on several Spanish forums and the latest situations are posted on them regularly. The consensus of opinion is that onward travel is allowed but even then people are posting routes to avoid the locked down areas.

To be honest I am dreaming and I know it. Everything is pointing to not being possible to get there this year. It is all brought on by the clocks changing. I hate the darker nights. In Spain you get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings and it is worth going just for that! I might feel better when it stops raining. We are just not used to it here in Norfolk :(

#10 ·
We are still hoping to go Pat despite all the doom and gloom. We will have a much smaller 'bubble' in Portugal than here. We are trying to keep people away from us here and they can get a bit narked when we refuse mixing with them.

Ray.

#11 ·
I so hope you make it, Ray. We are now discussing driving it again given that Camping Car Parks are making it easier to find aires that are open. It now all depends on what stage the building project is at. If we get it to water tight then it will be safe to go and leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.