French Toll Tags – help please. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 15:03 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
French Toll Tags – help please.

Can you help me out on this one please ?

As far as I understand the Toll Tags you get to use in France are identical regardless of the height of your Motorhome.

So any Tag should lift the barrier as you approach regardless of the Motorhome height but they will charge you the appropriate price for your vehicle as Class 2 or Class 3 depending on height.

Someone on another Forum has been having problems, the first time abroad with a Tag, with the barrier sometimes lifting and sometimes remaining down and a Forum Member's reply says that there are different Tags for different Classes and that is the reason for the problem.

I don't believe that's the case and for the majority of normal Motorhomes the Tag we use covers those under 3 metres high and those over 3 metres high and charges us accordingly.

I think the person having problems either has the Tag in the wrong place, the battery is not working correctly or he isn't getting close enough to the barrier.

Any useful input about the situation appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 OVERHEAD FARE INDICATOR OHI (2) (800 x 573).jpg (83.5 KB, 12 views)

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 16:02

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I often wondered about this Keith as I couldn't see the French letting large vehicles through for the same price as cars.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 17:31

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
All tags are the same and simply identify a person's bank account and authority to debit. Vehicles are measured in the entrance and charged accordingly. If eg your satellite dish takes you over it will charge more. Pressing the buttons and announcing; "Je suis camping car classe deluxe" MAY get you a reduction, or a burst of laughter.

Ours has always been correct.

If it is not working reliably, the most common faults as you said are;

a. Not having it where the sensor can scan - we have an overcab bed and it cannot scan the tag there, so our tag is now where the old UK VED used to be displayed, it works superbly there,

b. Not approaching the barrier closely enough, or going too fast, the ping only comes when the bonnet is about 75 cm from the gate from our experience with both the car and the MH and yes, we often use the "30 kph" lane and have never had a probl.

Hope that helps, feel free to quote my post, copy and paste where needed.
KeithChesterfield likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 23:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Yes, my experience is sometimes you need to get closer than you'd like!

Jean
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:41

We had exactly the same problem with our Fifth Wheel. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason and we came to exactly the same conclusion as the person on the other forum i.e that it was a height problem. First of all we paid up. Then we pressed the button. On one occasion we did not have to say anything the barrier just lifted. I suspect they were watching us struggle. It took the shine of the idea for us. The whole point is to be able to sail through without having to get out and press buttons etc.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 14:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
All tags are the same and simply identify a person's bank account and authority to debit.

Thanks, that's what I thought but the Facebook forum Member seems to think otherwise.

Still, you've put my mind at rest.

Penquin likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:25
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
From memory the car-type one is only issued for vehicles 3m and under and therefore may not work (well) if you are just over 3m.

I also think if you have a vehicle over 3m then there is only 1 other class of Tag which is the ones lorries use however Class 3 tolls are way more expensive than Class 2.

We have one that we got when we used to do a lot of car touring in France which worked 100% of the time with a car. When we used it with our first MH which was 3.10m it worked around 50% of the time. With the current MH which is around 3.04m it works 90% of the time. Either way a quick bit of schoolboy/pidgin French on the intercom soon sorts it ('Nous sommes dans un camping car' etc etc or some such).

The other restriction on car -type ones is weight with the max being 3500kg however we are well over that and have had no issues. I'm sure I read somewhere that they have very few weighing toll areas.

I like to use big words which I don't really understand so it makes me look more photosynthesis!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 14:57

Personal Aire
Sorry GMJ you are mistaken.

There is only one tag available to the public, HGV registered firms can get one for each vehicle and they actually are cheaper than the ones that we get. The requirement is to be a registered HGV company.

The one that we have can be happily used in either our car, or our MH which IS over the 3500 kg limit - it is played at 3850kg. That automatically puts it into Classe 2 UNLESS any part of it breaks the IR bean set at 3.05 m to allow for tyre pressure differences. If you break the beam and contact tgem AT THE TIME they have the ability go instantly to a visual check via CCTV that you ARE a Camping Car. They often go not bother with the visual check and simply change from Class 3 to Class 2 without any further delay.

It CANNOT be changed once you have gone through the barrier as CCTV cannot be used to verify without considerable cross referencing - which they are loath to do. So speak up at the time, or forever hold your peace......

The tag battery life seems to be around 5 years which is impressive, but they have to be returned for replacement - they simply send you a new one and a prepaid return envelope.

We used ours yesterday to pay for car parking at a hospital in Bordeaux - unusual because most hospitals have foc car parking.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 15:05

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Ah now theres a thing Dave.
Our 'new' one sent maybe three years ago includes France and Spain is still working very well. But how will we know it's needs sending back for a battery replacement before it dies?
You can bet it will fail just as we set off for three months in Portugal.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 15:15

Personal Aire
You only know it has failed when the barrier refuses to give you the desired noise and, if you are using the 30 kph ones gives you a "crunching noise" instead - not desirable.... 🤣🤔

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page