Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Cold callers in France

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nicholsong 
#1 ·
Just in case anyone else in France has tried using the 'bloctel' service and might know where I'm going wrong?

We are getting fed up with all these cold calls now. So decided to use the 'Bloctel' service. But when trying to enter my details to register the bloody site won't accept my e-mail address or password.
I have tried several e-mail addresses and various passwords all over 12 characters inc a capital many small letters and some numbers. But each time it says no and brings me back the highlighted e-mail address and password.

Any ideas please?

Ray.

#3 ·
I've been registered on Bloctel for a few years now, it's bloody useless!
Normal day will see 4 or 5 calls for insulation for 1€.

The connexion had an article recently from which I gather most homes with a phone are suffering at the moment, a member of parliament is currently trying to find better ways to stop the calls.

The best way I've found to deal with them (other than to ignore the phone) is as soon as they try to speak, say clearly I'm English and don't speak French, that normally does the trick.
I have strung a few of them along but can't be bothered any more.

When I did register the only e-mail it would accept was my .orange.fr one.

#4 ·
Thanks John.
Maybe I will just have to continue as you say asking if they speak English. The odd one does try but gives up.
Yes Jean I did try some characters but the site refused every time.

Ray.

#5 ·
I use the only speak English way and that works, often just answering with a bright and breezy "He'll" is enough to end it there and then.

Bloctel us a similar waste of time and I reckon it may make thinks worse..... it gives them a number to ring, the whole thing may have been hacked and all the data copied..... it has happened elsewhere with data breaches and copying...

#8 ·
After my multilingual daughter had returned from a year in France she had an interview and oral exam with her Professir about how it had been, all in French of course.

She explained in the South West French (add an "-ang" to the end of a word) how it had been.....

He threw his hands up, with appropriate French arm movements and commented "Merde, where has your lovely accent gone?".

She turned to him and said "Would you prefer Parisian French?" and switched to the high French from Paris, "or Québécois French?" and switched instantly and fluently to the very different form spoken there.....

More arm movements and exclamations from him as he admitted that she had a talent that he could not emulate, indeed he struggled in Québécois...... 🤣

Needless to say, she passed that oral exam with the highest grade...

Me ? I struggle in English let alone foreign......😢🙄🤣

She has gone though the 1€ insulation, which does exist, but is very hard to pin down and it is being installed later this year but only AFTER all the paperwork has gone through the French system as otherwise you end up with an expensive loan, but she has tied it all down, notarised it with the authorities and it is sitting waiting for her to approve its installation, BUT it took her 7 months to get sorted.....

#7 ·
Up to now I quite like asking the caller in my best French if they speak English. This always brings the question "You don't speak French" No I say and we continue again in my best French explaining I don't understand what they are talking about. This seems to really confuse them.

But it's reaching epidemic proportions now with the €1 insulation 'offers'.

Ray.

#9 ·
We were pestered by cold callers and then as a separate issue the screens in our handsets failed, so we went out to buy new handsets.

The ones we chose came with a free add-on called "Call Guardian" which suggested it could stop all nuisance calls. It did, and for the last +/- 5 years not one nuisance call has got through.

Surely France has a similar system on offer?

#10 ·
We were pestered by cold callers and then as a separate issue the screens in our handsets failed, so we went out to buy new handsets.

The ones we chose came with a free add-on called "Call Guardian" which suggested it could stop all nuisance calls. It did, and for the last +/- 5 years not one nuisance call has got through.

Surely France has a similar system on offer?
John,

Come, come, they do not even have a proper system of law, only some Administratrive rules that a Dictator laid down some 200 years ago, which his Protege Jacques Delors set in train across Europe.

Some people have turned that into a 'Gravy Train' across Europe.

Geoff

#11 ·
Dave, we have friends near Bergerac who wanted to see about the €1 insulation and visited their Mairie. The Mairie has a list of accredited artisans who are recommended to do this work. He has now engaged one and awaits the installation.

I don't want more roof insulation but would like two older and single glazed outside doors replaced. Not sure if these are covered?

Ray.

#12 ·
Don't think so, it is a package and cannot be altered easily AFAIK. It is still a long process to get anything done, as always, and full of pitfalls which probably catch even the French citizens.

If you are not VERY careful you have to pay in full before installation, using a loan from Cetelem for instance at 6.5% and then reclaim.

But, of course, they may well find loopholes in how you filled in the paperwork, or the details entered or your grandparents inside leg measurements or the price of garlic or something else to cancel your 1€ deal and leave you within a massive loan at a high rate of interest......

In other words, tread VERY CAREFULLY

#13 ·
Don't think so, it is a package and cannot be altered easily AFAIK. It is still a long process to get anything done, as always, and full of pitfalls which probably catch even the French citizens.

If you are not VERY careful you have to pay in full before installation, using a loan from Cetelem for instance at 6.5% and then reclaim.

But, of course, they may well find loopholes in how you filled in the paperwork, or the details entered or your grandparents inside leg measurements or the price of garlic or something else to cancel your 1€ deal and leave you within a massive loan at a high rate of interest......

In other words, tread VERY CAREFULLY
Administrators having too much and arbitary power? And in France, who would believe it?

Hail Napolean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.