Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Camping Municipal des Marronniers, Pont Authou, France

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  HermanHymer 
#1 ·
We use this site for our first night in France when we go down to Spain each January however whilst away in Italy a few weeks ago, they sent me a message saying that they will now be closed from 01/11 to 31/03...just in case anyone else wants to use them.

We travel via the tunnel and this is a useful stop between there and Poitiers. Does anyone use any other campsite that they can recommend which is on this route?

Thanks

Graham

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes it is difficult Ted. I'll sit down and spend some time looking at our route over the next few days and see if I can re scope it using ACSI and/or Camperstop sites

The lady at Pont Authou has given me contact details for another local site whom I have emailed. I'll update if I get anywhere with them...

Graham

#5 ·
We never go to Spain but traverse France often, even spent some time there over the past few years. We had ignored it for most of the previous 50 or so years!
My main resource is Campercontact' and 'All the Aires' but ACSI is also on my bookshelf.
The last resort I use is Google Maps and/or Google searching 'Camping near XXXXXX' and it often works.

Sorry I can't be more specific as we rarely visit anywhere twice:smile2:

#6 ·
Can someone have a word with the French?

Is there an ex pat community that we could tap into and persuade them to open up a network for us snowbirds? I know many, many decamped to France when the hunting ban came in over here. They were horse owners and so, presumably bought property with land?
A friend of ours has just moved out there and bought a massive house for next to nothing in the Limoges area. The trouble is that, like many French properties, it is slap bang in the middle of a village. They told us it had a huge garden and that we could visit. When we arrived the garden was, yes, a good size that matched the house but access was through a pedestrian gate!

#7 ·
We, after last year (!), have considered using the motel chains that abound in France for the Northern section of the journey. Our one big problem, or course, is the parking. I don't think that they would welcome a Fifth Wheel!
It has just come to me, though, that we could find an aire for the night and, if it is without water and we need showers etc, we could spend the night in a motel :) Of course there is the, very small, risk of criminals but a village aire in Northern France would be very low risk I would have thought?

#8 ·
There are lots of private small camping places like CLs I see dotted about here in Normandy. Sign boards nailed to a gatepost beside the road indicating "Camping a la Ferme" etc. We have lots of space available for campers or even fivers but no 'facilities' like a toilet block.

Ray.

#10 ·
We did have a lovely couple with their Jack Russel stay on our land for up to the three months we were in Portugal. But because our difficult neighbour just couldn't leave things alone and kept interfering with them they decided not to come again and stay in UK for the winter.

The neighbour is a little 'unstable' and has caused us a few problems but we have always managed to hold our own and now she rarely even looks at us. But anyone weak and not sure of themselves she will try and impose her will upon.

Several friends come by for a few nights without problems as we are here and now the other neighbours put her in her place. So let us know your needs and movements.

Ray.

Reactions: weldted and patp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.