User Tag List

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 15:12 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We are spoilt here.

Just shifting the topic off a couple of other non related topics. I do think France is a much nicer place to live than the UK now.

In a way we are trapped as the property gap has widened to an impossible difference to bridge. But as I say living here is so good I really don't think I would personally want to return to Surrey even if we could afford to.
We can manage a very comfortable life here that would be very difficult to sustain in UK on our limited income. Even if we could sell and buy something in the south of England. Just maintaining it would keep us poor in comparison.

This is before appreciating the host of tangible differences and benefits with the language being the only difficulty as I see it.
We just hope to be able to continue enjoying what time we have left here after the Brexit decision is made for us.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 15:36

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Ditto to all that Ray, except I happen to be in a different country to you
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 15:41

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Just shifting the topic off a couple of other non related topics. I do think France is a much nicer place to live than the UK now.

In a way we are trapped as the property gap has widened to an impossible difference to bridge. But as I say living here is so good I really don't think I would personally want to return to Surrey even if we could afford to.
We can manage a very comfortable life here that would be very difficult to sustain in UK on our limited income. Even if we could sell and buy something in the south of England. Just maintaining it would keep us poor in comparison.

This is before appreciating the host of tangible differences and benefits with the language being the only difficulty as I see it.
We just hope to be able to continue enjoying what time we have left here after the Brexit decision is made for us.

Ray.
You definitely are spoiled, the lack of traffic would be enough to entice me. If the French would just sharpen their customer service skills it would be a no brainer. ;- )

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:01 Thread Starter

Yes Terry, there have been times I do get a little exasperated but perseverance usually pays off. Being able to kick up on the phone and submit docs online helps.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:03

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
You definitely are spoiled, the lack of traffic would be enough to entice me. If the French would just sharpen their customer service skills it would be a no brainer. ;- )

Terry
You 'll get building land in our area cheaper than cheap carpet, if it has a house on it in need of repair they almost give it away. To have a house built as we did depends on what you choose of course.
No traffic jams that we have seen in our 14 years here.

I'm Jan
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:10

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
You 'll get building land in our area cheaper than cheap carpet, if it has a house on it in need of repair they almost give it away. To have a house built as we did depends on what you choose of course.
No traffic jams that we have seen in our 14 years here.

You sound to have Utopia there Jan, makes me jealous, although I am a big supporter of Britain and love living here I am a free spirit and could enjoy living anywhere, my responsibility's are family orientated and that stops me doing what I would like to do.
If only we had an ideal world!
patp and JanHank like this.

Barry
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:17

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
You sound to have Utopia there Jan, makes me jealous, although I am a big supporter of Britain and love living here I am a free spirit and could enjoy living anywhere, my responsibility's are family orientated and that stops me doing what I would like to do.
If only we had an ideal world!

Us too - even our first trip in 8 months starting in 2-3 weeks is in doubt. At age 77 that is hard to take.

Geoff
patp and HurricaneSmith like this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:33 Thread Starter

Family can appear to be a shackle at times. But of course it works both ways. You go to visit family back in the 'old country' and generally they are working and don't have much time off. But while they do visit us old uns now and again, it can wear off when a couple of weeks on the Med or Aegean can be a real holiday.
Thankfully Skype and Whatsapp keep us closer.
My wife usually managed at least one visit a year back to see her sisters. The grandkids now have their own lives and have flown the coop. In fact second great grandchild almost due.

Ray.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:49

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Us too - even our first trip in 8 months starting in 2-3 weeks is in doubt. At age 77 that is hard to take.

Geoff

You have 10 years on me, just hope I can get that far, FIL is 88 and is taking up 3/4 nights a week for Karen, we live 2 hrs drive away to care for him along with her sister who also lives 2 hours drive away.
Youngest son still lives with us and he is 28 and still does not have a permanent job, eldest son lives in Southampton and is now looking to move back near us.
Him and his wife seem to think that we are up for babysitting whilst they go out and enjoy themselves, afraid he is in for a shock, I will be away in the MH at any opportunity.
Might sound selfish but I am nearing the end of my life so I have to enjoy whatever time I can.
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Barry
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 17:01

Personal Aire
I just checked the price of building land, 5€ per square meter

However you have to be contented with your own company, keep a good store cupboard of food because any shops are 11 km away.
Although a butcher and bakers vans are in the village Tuesdays and Fridays.
Be prepared to travel for entertainment although ours is just outside the door
I'm not sure if the German bureaucracy is any worse than the French.
Don't ask me if it´s any cheaper to live here, we just get on with living the life we want to and don't count the cost, mind you it doesn't take much to make me happy, I'm cheap to keep.

I have 2 brothers in the UK and a few nieces and nephews who I keep in touch with now and then, and don't pine for, so foot loose and fancy free are we health issues prevents us from travel at the moment, but hopefully after the 20th things will look up.
erneboy, Matchlock and dghr272 like this.

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page