Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   France Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/)
-   -   Speed Cameras in France info (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/130-france-touring/235819-speed-cameras-france-info.html)

HermanHymer 08-04-2019 21:01

Speed Cameras in France info

Useful info. Note 5% leeway. Starts in French, but see lower down for English info.

https://www.antai.gouv.fr/controle-automatise?lang=en

pagey 09-04-2019 10:53

thanks for posting this info

nicholsong 09-04-2019 11:16

Yes thanks for posting.

There is a mall error here in the note to Fixed Camera number one

Technical margin: A margin of 5 km/h (below 100 km/h) or 5% (below 100 km/h) is taken into account, always in favour of the driver.
It is therefore impossible to be penalized for "insignificant" speeding, since this margin must always be added.
Example: you are recorded at a speed of 97 km/h, the figure used is 92 km/h.

The highlighted words should read above 100km/h, as they do in the equivalent sections referring to the other cameras below.

Geoff

patp 15-04-2019 07:41

Thanks for the info, but sshhh don't tell Chris :)

Mrplodd 15-04-2019 08:28

At the risk of sounding like an old stuck vinyl LP............

The sure fire way to not get caught by ALL of these cameras is.....keep to the speed limit!!

Well that simple system has worked perfectly for me since my ONLY speeding offence back in 1972. I do 15-18k miles a year both in the UK and abroad so I am clearly doing something right. And somewhat proves my point doesn’t it? (I couldn’t find a “smug git” smilie to insert here)

Andy

dghr272 15-04-2019 08:32

On our very recent travels from Cherbourg to the Spanish border, it was quite common to see many of the static cameras on the national roads have been vandalised by either yellow spray paint on the camera glass or bin liners put over them. The motorway cameras haven’t suffered the same fate.

We only encountered one mobile police speed trap.

As to those following the new speed restrictions, I would say about 75% of drivers were. Some of the truckers were the worst offenders.

Terry

Mrplodd 15-04-2019 08:55

The motorway cameras are maintained by the firms who operate the motorways for profit. I wonder if there’s a connection???

Andy

raynipper 15-04-2019 09:17

Oh ye of little faith Andy. Makes yer wonder though.

Ray.

dghr272 15-04-2019 09:33

681 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrplodd (Post 3026223)
The motorway cameras are maintained by the firms who operate the motorways for profit. I wonder if there’s a connection???

Andy

I suspect they are regularly patrolled as well so any tampering is soon rectified. Given the sheer lack of traffic on the ordinary roads it wouldn’t be picked as easily, and any that are can quickly be disabled again by the local protesters.

Having once stopped on the side of a motorway due to a shattered windscreen it’s a scary place to be and best avoided if possible.

Terry

Penquin 15-04-2019 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrplodd (Post 3026217)
At the risk of sounding like an old stuck vinyl LP............

The sure fire way to not get caught by ALL of these cameras is.....keep to the speed limit!!

Well that simple system has worked perfectly for me since my ONLY speeding offence back in 1972. I do 15-18k miles a year both in the UK and abroad so I am clearly doing something right. And somewhat proves my point doesn’t it? (I couldn’t find a “smug git” smilie to insert here)

Andy

Totally agree, that is the cheapest way to cope with these cameras wherever they are and whoever operates them......

It has worked well for me too, only one time caught out and that was questionable as the ONLY speed limit sign was several metres deep in the bushes and beside a parking space with an artic in it... no road markings and just off the motorway where the whole area was lit. The limit going the other way was 50 mph so that's what I was doing....

WRONG mobile speed van nearby clocked thirty or forty per hour..... I wonder why ?

Shortly afterwards a court case threw one offence out as road not properly AND CLEARLY marked. It now is..... with road markings as well as more signs on BOTH sides.... oh well bang goes that fund-raising opportunity.....!