Speed Cameras in France info - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 10:38

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
There are a fair few reports of fines for motorhomes coming through now so it seems the French at least are pursuing them finally. Some are reporting that they are taking months after the event to arrive though. I think there is no limit like there is here for the fine to be issued (might be 12 months). Fines seem to be 45 Euros generally for a minor offence.

The worry is if your away for a long trip and get flashed early on and they are quick in sending the fine out it could go up if its not responded to until you come home.

Its easy to say dont speed but some of these cameras in Europe are not as easy to spot as ours. Ive never been flashed or done for speeding in the UK for about fifteen years but last time in Europe in the van I got flashed twice in Germany and about four times in France and I certainly drive the van a lot slower than the car. Could mount up!

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 11:24

I'm with Andy Just set the cruise control, where available, and relax.

An old boss of mine was always speeding (he was a vet and so often in a hurry). He arranged for us all, including himself, to undertake a session with an Advanced Driving Instructor. He returned from his session saying he was never going to speed again as it had been so relaxing just keeping to the speed limit and made little difference to the journey time.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 12:40

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
In the U.K. it is NOT lawful to have different speed limits on the same section of road. If it’s 50 in one direction then it has to be 50 in the opposite one (unlike the ludicrous 80kph one way and 90 kph the other on the 3 lane sections of French roads)

In addition any signage must be “Clearly visible and well maintained” i.e. not covered by vegetation (which many are these days) AND at the start of any speed limit there MUST, by law, be signs on both sides of the carriageway, if there are not then the limit cannot be enforced.

Dash cam footage has been used by many drivers to successfully challenge speeding convictions where the signage hasn’t been correct.

I am not condoning anyone speeding BUT there are very strict rules in place to ensure it’s “fair and equitable” and if the rules are not adhered to there should be no conviction.

See the below link. This section of road was the responsibility of The Highways Agency and NOT the County Council. It’s the H.A. who cocked up!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-refunded.html

I remember all the fuss about it VERY well!!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 12:42

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
My last 'flash' was in roadworks that had been 90, then down to 80 and suddenly I saw the 70 sign too late and didn't reduce my speed in time.
Ticket came within a few days but by then we were in Portugal. So friend who has key to house found ticket and scanned how to pay and sent to me.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 13:00

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post

An old boss of mine was always speeding (he was a vet and so often in a hurry). He arranged for us all, including himself, to undertake a session with an Advanced Driving Instructor. He returned from his session saying he was never going to speed again as it had been so relaxing just keeping to the speed limit and made little difference to the journey time.

I used to be always in a hurry when working until I bought a SatNav, I noted the arrival to destination time was always within 5 minutes of the Satnav estimation no matter how fast I tried to drive so just chilled out.
When the customer rang asking where I was I just gave them the Sat ETA which kept them happy.

Barry
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 13:19

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post

Easy to say that but every single occasion ive been flashed in mainland Europe was when the speed limit changed suddenly and there was a camera shortly after the new limit. Clearly there to collect money. That rarely happens in the UK. Cruise control wont help you there in fact if your relaxing too much it could make it worse.

I remember coming into a city in Germany in four lanes of traffic doing about 110 kph and suddenly everyone slowing down for no apparent reason. I was concentrating on where I wanted to be and which lane to get into before I saw the new limit down to 80 or whatever it was and just hammered through it. Flash! clearly the locals knew about it.

Same in France when there is suddenly a drop down to 70 from 90 for no apparent reason then a camera. Its making sure you see the change in time and then having to brake hard to abide by it. To me it just means Im going to spend more time looking for speed signs and cameras than I am concentrating on driving. Its not like im hammering along like a mad man, just going with the flow and watching what Im doing.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 13:24

Both in the UK and on the Continent what distance must you travel before be penalised for speeding? From e.g 10 yds upwards?

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 13:29

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Trouble is, especially in France there is so much street furniture, many different speed limits seemingly displayed haphazardly it’s somewhat difficult to know exactly what the speed limit is.
raynipper likes this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page