Off to Brittany - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 13:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Off to Brittany

Hello Folks,
After carefully consulting French school holidays I have booked us for France for the whole of June. We have seen so much of France in the motorhome but, for some reason I have always actively avoided Brittany with no real idea why. When you look at the Aires book the place is awash with them although we normally do half those and half campsites. What we would like is some easy cycling more than anything. I am aware of the Nantes-Brest Canal so will be looking for places near to that. I normally do quite a bit of research before the trip but can anyone recommend any cracking aires/campsites please to start me off.
Thank you,
Linda
jo662 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 14:27

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingi View Post
Hello Folks,
After carefully consulting French school holidays I have booked us for France for the whole of June. We have seen so much of France in the motorhome but, for some reason I have always actively avoided Brittany with no real idea why. When you look at the Aires book the place is awash with them although we normally do half those and half campsites. What we would like is some easy cycling more than anything. I am aware of the Nantes-Brest Canal so will be looking for places near to that. I normally do quite a bit of research before the trip but can anyone recommend any cracking aires/campsites please to start me off.
Thank you,
Linda
We love the North Coast. There is a small campsite plus a private aire at Ille Grande
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac..._Brittany.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Il Grande 2.JPG (229.5 KB, 10 views)
patp and jo662 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 15:59

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Its a fantastic place but even a month isnt enough really but its a good length of time to have a good go at it. I would start at Mont St Michel (Which is actually in Normandy, just) and work your way around the coast as far as Roscoff. Dont forget to explore inland as well. Places like Dinan are fantastic. Then I would cut down to the south, maybe take in some of the western peninsulas then towards Quimper and then start heading east along the south coast and again remembering to explore a bit inland.

It generally gets wilder and more like the west coast of Scotland the further west you go and less populated but if you try and do the entire coast in four weeks it will become too much I reckon.

As for best Aires etc, hard to pinpoint particular ones. Some are good some not so much but one things for sure by June they will be busy. Despite there being more aires there than any other region there are also more motorhomes than any other region so plan ahead and get to aires before lunchtime especially popular ones. There were a few cracking five van aires without services that I noticed had cropped up last time we were there. Free and in ideal spots. I would study cc infos and camper contact and form a short list.
fdhadi and jo662 like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 16:38 Thread Starter

Thank you Barry, that is very helpful. We donít mind remote. Iíve already made a list of those Aires that show the cycle sign highlighted and will look them up online.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 16:56

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Brittany is not generally flat but some of it is. How far can you cycle as one good one could be Mont St Michel. Its all changed now and its a lot harder for motorhomes to get anywhere near it so last time we stayed at a cracking little aire about 8 miles away and used the scooter to get there. We have found some fabulous little places off the beaten track in Brittany, you just need to get out there and explore. Seeing your thread Im hankering after going back again.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 20:14 Thread Starter

Well, we can cycle much farther now with our new electric bikes which take care of the odd few inclines. I have just sent away for a voie vertes book which also includes disused railway tracks as well as others. Thanks again
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 20:25

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well if itís a new electric bike you will be fine

They are fantastic

Albert cycled without and I could keep up

I could have overtaken him on hills

But I can no longer balance a two wheeler

Canít get on and off

The balance is poor

So soon my electric tricycle will arrive

And Albert should buy an electric bike

Itís embarrassing overtaking him on hills

Sandra
The Following User Says Thank You to aldra For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 21:31

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
and don't forget that the autoroutes are all free in Bretagne - something to do with an old queen when France took over....
jo662 likes this.

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
The Following User Says Thank You to bognormike For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 22:27

Hi,
We enjoyed touring Brittany in 2010 and found some pleasant Aires and campsites.
Here is a link to our website:

http://www.motorhomeandaway.com/france_2010.html

We hope to go there again later this year

Steve
raynipper and jo662 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to homenaway For This Useful Post:
shingi (03-02-2019)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:45

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
There are a few Aires on my Youtube Channel (on the left hand side under 'Library' click 'Show more' and a list of Brittany Aires are there) and we found some crackers and some not so cracking.

We've been there in July and August and never had a problem finding spaces on Aires.

Just make sure you have wing mirror guards fitted as some roads are decidedly narrow.

www.youtube.com/user/keithchesterfield
jo662 likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithChesterfield For This Useful Post:
shingi (04-02-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page