Off to Brittany - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:26

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
There are a few Aires on my Youtube Channel (on the left hand side under 'Library' click 'Show more' and a list of Brittany Aires are there) and we found some crackers and some not so cracking.

We've been there in July and August and never had a problem finding spaces on Aires.

Just make sure you have wing mirror guards fitted as some roads are decidedly narrow.

www.youtube.com/user/keithchesterfield
Actually clicking on Library just brings up your own library (well it does in my case) but I notice you made a playlist of Brittany aires.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lecs2_QO8YsIpf

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:00

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
If you are interested in megalith monuments Brittany is awash with them. Carnac on the south coast is the epicentre of many, a days cycling would take in most. Some are spectacular, on a Stonehenge/Avebury scale.

Another not miss if you enjoy French Markets is the Saturday one in Rennet probably the biggest and best I have seen.

Dick
jo662 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
shingi (04-02-2019)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:32

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Brittany Campsite Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingi View Post
Hello Folks,
After carefully consulting French school holidays I have booked us for France for the whole of June. We have seen so much of France in the motorhome but, for some reason I have always actively avoided Brittany with no real idea why. When you look at the Aires book the place is awash with them although we normally do half those and half campsites. What we would like is some easy cycling more than anything. I am aware of the Nantes-Brest Canal so will be looking for places near to that. I normally do quite a bit of research before the trip but can anyone recommend any cracking aires/campsites please to start me off.
Thank you,
Linda
Hi Linda, here are a few recommendations based on our month long trip around Brittany in 2016. We also have electric bikes and like to cycle canal towpaths when we can. All the sites are ACSI which, if you have the discount card, will be ok in June.

We stayed at two sites which had good access to canals. The first was http://www.campingderodaven.fr in the town of Chateaulin on the Nantes-Brest canal. The second was http://www.domainelespeupliers.fr. which was a ten minute ride on quiet lanes to the Canal d'Ille et Rance which runs north/south from Dinan to Rennes.

We also stayed at some coastal sites which had good cycling but of course more strenuous than the more or less flat canals.
In the far west of Brittany on the Douarnenez peninsular we stayed at http://www.campingporsperon.com a really lovely little English owned site only a few minutes stroll down to a beautiful little cove. There is also magnificent coastal walks from here.
On the north coast we stayed at https://www.camping-des-abers.com, and also at https://www.camping-du-port-22.com. The first is a large site right on a magnificent stretch of white sand. Cycling is reasonably flat around here and the coastal walks fairly easy. The second site is much smaller again with reasonably flat cycling and walking.

Have a look at this website, www.af3v.org it has loads of info on voies-vertes all over France. Click on the interactive map and you can zoom in to the area you are interested in then click on the coloured lines which denote the routes.

Hope this is of help to you.

Andy
shingi, raynipper, aldra and 2 others like this.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to caulkhead For This Useful Post:
shingi (04-02-2019)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:19

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Andy - thanks for the link to the inter active map - very helpful
caulkhead likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 21:25 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Thanks to you all. It will be so useful. You are all founts of knowledge and that is the great thing about this website.
Linda
caulkhead likes this.

Last edited by shingi; 04-02-2019 at 21:56.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 17:57

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Have a great trip

And don’t foget to keep us posted

I haven’t done Brittany yet

So your feedback along with everyone else is brilliant

Sandra
shingi likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:59

My Motorhome: Not yet
I did a house sit there in June (probably going back to the same one this year). Dinan and Josselin are nice old mediaeval towns. Some of the coastal towns are nice, though they do tend to go heavy on the tourist tat (I don't want to see another biscuiterie with the same ol' souvenirs again!). Lots of obvious tourists holding their phones up.

The big attractions, particularly Mont St Michel, I found an ordeal. Even working out the parking was tricky. Packed and tight little streets. St Malo was better, but parking there is busy.
raynipper likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to wfdTamar For This Useful Post:
shingi (08-02-2019)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:07

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Finding places you've never heard of and have difficulty pin pointing them on a Map even when you've visited is part of the Motorhome adventures, isn't it ?

One such place we found at the end of a very narrow road was Gréve de Port Béni - four designated bays overlooking the sea, a toilet block with wash basins, free to stop overnight, miles of walks in either direction, quiet as a graveyard at night and one of the finest places in Brittany to see magnificent sunsets.

It may not appeal to everyone but there seems to be similar gems throughout Brittany if you search hard enough.

Brittany is a lovely place to visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PORT BENI BRITTANY 2.jpg (74.3 KB, 6 views)
raynipper likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithChesterfield For This Useful Post:
shingi (08-02-2019)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 20:05

We like the aire on the Crozon Peninsula between Camaret Sur Mer and Pen Hir ( 48deg 16.452 N , 4deg 36.501 W ) Remote but modern tarmac aire for about 60 MHs with small hedges between sites , opposite a field of 'standing stones' and only about 1/2 mile from beautiful cliff coastal walk , some ww2 fortifications and other memorabilia on the way, big open accessible beaches at the btm of the cliffs and nice little coastal towns close by also .
The Following User Says Thank You to Gretchibald For This Useful Post:
shingi (08-02-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page