Motorhome Facts Forum banner

More Camping-Car Park destinations

8K views 67 replies 9 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
#31 ·
At the moment we are at Labenne Ocean, near Bayonne. Another Camping Car Park site :) Last night we stayed at Libourne near Bordeaux. I would not recommend Libourne for large camper vans as it was a very tight squeeze :eek There were heated discussions occurring with some French campers and a representative from the local council as we left. We could not see how some of the rv size vans were going to negotiate the tight turn to get off site. Apart from that it was a nice site next to a lake. There were buses right beside the site and a grill bar that serviced the Ibis motel across the road. Still a very quiet site though :)

Remember that we are in a Fifth Wheel camper and we have not met with one single objection :) Most people have been very complimentary about the rig.
b
This site is in the forest and very quiet (so far) so we will have a rest day tomorrow before tackling Spain. Finding these Camping Car Park sites has changed my perception of travelling through France in the winter. I swore I would never do it again after last year. I could not, however, book a dog friendly cabin on a ferry and so had to bite the bullet and give it another try.

#33 ·
It is not the data, though that might be an issue, but the old brain power Jean! I have always struggled with handling photos and have some dotted everywhere on old laptops etc. The only think I have ever mastered is to take a photo with my ipad and send it to Facebook. That is because there is an icon provided just above the photo!

I had thought I might try taking a photo with the ipad and then trying to get it onto here but I always have an issue entering this site cold. I end up on the old site. This site tells me that my details are not recognised or something similar. The only way I can enter it is to click on a notification in an email and then navigate the site from there.

I will start a new thread though. I am hoping that someone might have some ideas for where we can stay overnight on our journey through Spain now. We are headed for Pinoso where we are booked to stay until middle of March.

#34 ·
News from CampingCarParks - they're in dispute with the French government about tax rates but in the meantime their prices will rise by 10%:

Here are the increases that this rate change generates for you motorhomes:
10% increase in the average price for 24 hours on an area (excluding tourist tax) .
Increase of 0.50 cents for 5 hours of services, i.e. € 5.50 instead of € 5.
For future members of the network: increase in the PASS'ÉTAPES card to € 5 instead of € 4.

#36 ·
I know we've a number of fishermen (and women? - oh yes, Gretchibald's Jayne caught one in a recent video!

Yes , but it wasn't 'real ' fishing . It was one of those little stocked lakes where you can buy a fish or they give you a rod and some maggots to catch your own ( you can't fail). You pay by weight of fish , they clean it , you take it home and eat it . That particular place had a nice little cafe by the lake with walks , picnic benches , gardens etc , a nice way to spend an hour or so. Good for kids.

#43 ·
Thanks Jean. I could not follow any of their methods of sending the form back to them. No printer and no camera phone. I have asked my daughter to hand write their form and include "travelling to my place of residence" on it. She has sent it to them but I have heard nothing.

I am hoping that those reasons are secondary to the attestation that says "I am travelling to my main place of residence". This is the reason that the French police require so I assume it is sufficient? Pete4x4 has messaged me to say he accessed all the CCPs that he needed to and he did not complete the form.

#47 ·
I hope that the entry by card is a bit more user friendly now. We stayed on one on Aix les Bains 3/4 years ago. It took the French man ahead of us an age to enter. And I almost gave up, having difficulty with the language. You have to "join" the scheme and a deposit is taken off your card in advance. Its supposedly easier once you are registered.

Still get regular newsletters although haven't used one since. The emails are now in excellent english and in the last one you can extend your stay by a simple SMS. Useful as there is a strict daily checkout time so difficult to arrive in the evening, spend the day exploring and drive on to another without paying for 2 nights.

Regret the passing of the old municipal wires.

#52 ·
Every time I hear of a new CCP opening I think there is a cheap or free aire gone.

I am also prejudiced against them because of the difficulty many people have had trying to access them, even the French, and which we have experienced ourselves, despite the very helpful Frenchman and contacting them by phone, the gate still would not open even when we had the card and ticket.

i suppose they might be successful stealing business from campsites, but we shall still be looking for aires which are run by the locals.

Geoff

#56 ·
Every time I hear of a new CCP opening I think there is a cheap or free aire gone.
I know what you're saying Geoff and actually, when I looked at my account, I've only used them a couple of times (had thought it was 3 or 4).

But there are folk who prefer a more 'organised' approach, and also they have some good themed ideas at times.

#59 ·
We are members and as such get the email magazine and news updates, did you know that they give back some of the profits to the municipality. In the case of Barcares 100,000 euro , and Roque Sur Ceze 14,000 euro., also in some cases it is the municipality who approaches CCP to help improve the facility to increase tourism. If you can believe their magazine it is a win win for all concerned.

We generally like them, they are usually clean and in desirable locations and also we like to think that the MH is that little bit more secure in a compound behind a barrier when we are away all day on the scooter. No problem getting the card, using it or topping it up . Once in Porte Puymorens (near Andorra) the barrier wouldn't lift to let us out , used the ph number provided ,a nice English speaking lady lifted it remotely. No other problems at others. We don't mind paying as we are only on our annual holiday for a few weeks and we do a mix of wild, campsites and CCPs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.