EHIC card. - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2019, 16:40

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldra View Post
I thought our van insurance would cover us in the event of the insured driver being unable to drive ?

Sandra
Thatís certainly not (to the best of my knowledge) a standard feature on any vehicle insurance UNLESS you have paid an additional premium for it. No insurance company is going to offer that sort of cover without knowing who might be driving and their driving history. Thatís why you have to specify any additional drivers you want covered. You certainly need to check on that.

Your relative could well be able to fly out and ďcollectĒ you. But airline tickets can be notoriously expensive at short notice. Far better to let an insurance company worry about it all because IF you are in need of that facility you are going to be stressed enough anyway WITHOUT having to sort out anything else.

Me? I pay for holiday cover that includes medical expenses and, if necessary repatriation etc.

Another point to consider is what if you are, say in Spain and for whatever reason you miss your return ferry crossing? If itís an agreed cause then your insurer will reimburse you the cost of the extra sailing. If itís Santander to U.K. thatís a fair few quid to shell out and you can be certain they will hammer you for costs at short notice.

These things need VERY careful consideration rather than just thinking ďMy EHIC will cover meĒ because for a lot of things it wonít!

Andy
Penquin and raynipper like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2019, 17:04

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
The only drawback with that attitude is what would you do if, say, whilst away in your MH you broke your leg and could no longer drive? You MAY have another driver with you, but what if they are a non driver or donít have a licence for that class of vehicle (over 70, in excess of 3500kg)
But doesn't the same issue arise if I'm in Scotland or NI or Wales? And I'm nearer to many EU countries than I am to a lot of the UK.

Peter
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2019, 17:20

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
But doesn't the same issue arise if I'm in Scotland or NI or Wales? And I'm nearer to many EU countries than I am to a lot of the UK.
You are clearly convinced there is no need to have holiday insurance of any kind. Thatís fine and you are entitled to that view.

I have merely tried to show that there is a lot more to the subject than just relying on an EHIC card so that others can compare viewpoints.

If you are in the UK then there is no language barrier and no repatriation issue, plus of course you would have NHS healthcare.

Just as a word of caution, donít forget that the Channel Isles are NOT in the EU so an EHIC card is useless there, you need some other form of health insurance. Many have discovered that the hard (and expensive) way.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 12:27

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We do have medical cover, or did

At the moment getting enough time to leave the country isnít happening

With alberts tests and me on fortnightly hospital blood tests

The problem is for many with health issues is the huge cost of insurance + the over 75 premium

Weíve just cancelled Shadows insurance, it went to £125 a month for £2000 pounds cover and weíve been with them since he was a pup, , heís an old dog now, so itís not only the travel insurance that rips off the elderly!!

Actually Santander ferryís are really good if you miss the ferry, my son and family turned up a day too late....idiots .. and when we phoned they were excellent , found them a new ferry time and it cost them about £30 extra

I was well impressed with their helpful concern to get them on the next available sailing

And of course I meant the main insured driver ,not the additional one (s)

Sandra
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 16:40

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Having a chat with Al n Daph the other night they said they were on the ferry from Santander on 4th. I said, but I'm on the last ferry of the season on 3rd! Had them worried a bit till we realised I'm on the Cork ferry, they're on the Portsmouth one!

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page