EHIC card. - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2018, 13:06

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Other though than repatriation and avoiding paying some reimbursable costs locally, I can see no need for private medical insurance when travelling in EHIC covered countries - or Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Or even England!!
peribro likes this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2018, 14:48
wug

"EHIC covers everything that you are covered for in the UK under the NHS" No it doesn't. I wish people would stop posting misleading information. Here's what is says: "The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting. Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care."

You get the same as a citizen of the country, not what is provided by the NHS.

As for not taking out insurance because "other than for repatriation" ...Fine. Just don't ever need repatriated. It could cost many thousands. My insurance for 2 of us, 90 days is £142. As a proportion of the total cost of our trip it is tiny and well worth it. But then I don't like to gamble.
patp and nicholsong like this.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2018, 15:40 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We generally get 70% reimbursed of most medical costs in France. But there are as always exceptions to the rule. Namely dentistry and optical equipment.
The French in general pay for their own 'Top-Up' insurance as they are not automatically reimbursed the full amount and in some cases the odd Euro is ignored.

But who knows after next March. What will the EHIC cover if anything and will we be entitled to any reciprocal treatment. Thank you Brexit voters.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2018, 17:18

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by wug View Post
"The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting. Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care."

You get the same as a citizen of the country, not what is provided by the NHS.
Which is why I said " It may be necessary, depending upon which country you are in, to pay a part of the costs at the time which, so long as they are not for private treatment, you will be able to claim back."

Peter
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2018, 12:53

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,022 Times in 887 Posts
Personal Aire
It does seem a bit of a lottery as to what you end up paying. France seems to send you bills in dribs and drabs long after the event but not always, other countries you never get charged a single cent but there is definitely something iffy with Jackeens bill. There doesnt seem to be any consistency. Ray says you cant claim dentistry but in 2009 I got the bulk of £300 back for emergency treatment in Brittany. Things might have changed though since then.

Like Ray says and David Davis said, its unlikely we will hang on to it post Brexit. Whats the betting travel insurance rockets and I bet the maximum will be three months which is legally how long you can stay in Europe for post Brexit. Getting cover for known conditions may be difficult as well.
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2018, 14:35 Thread Starter

We as French residents and holders of Carte Vitale gives us 70% refund on most medical costs but as I said there are always the odd differences.
Dental and Optical reimbursements can be as low as 10% or 20%. Not sure how they work it our but again the French usually pay for a top up insurance that can cover these extra costs.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2019, 17:13 Thread Starter

Finally after 20 months I actually get a deposit into my bank of £41.66 for dental treatment in Portugal costing €70.00 Feb.2018.
It obviously pays to keep at em.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-10-2019, 23:58

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Woohoo Ray, don't spend it all in the one shop! Or even at the one boot sale!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2019, 12:12

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I can see no need for private medical insurance when travelling in EHIC covered countries - or Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The only drawback with that attitude is what would you do if, say, whilst away in your MH you broke your leg and could no longer drive? You MAY have another driver with you, but what if they are a non driver or don’t have a licence for that class of vehicle (over 70, in excess of 3500kg)

Having had some experience of having to get a family member repatriated from Portugal many years ago, and the HUGE cost (all covered by the holiday insurance) there is NO way I would leave the UK without proper holiday type insurance.

For info the cost of getting an air ambulance to fly my sister back to the UK would, without any doubt, have bankrupted me as it was MORE than the value of my house! So think VERY carefully of the possible consequences of not having proper insurance. It’s a bit like house insurance, it’s an expense we all begrudge BUT just look at those on the TV a while back who were flooded out “We don’t have any insurance” was often heard being bleated. I bet they wished they hadn’t tried saving a few quid on house insurance then don’t you. Plain madness IMHO, same with holiday insurance. As a percentage of what we spend it’s minimal.

Andy
shingi, raynipper and Webby1 like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 25-10-2019, 14:47

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
I thought our van insurance would cover us in the event of the insured driver being unable to drive ?

I need to check that

One of the reasons I have never been named on the insurance cover is that I wouldn’t want to drive the van in that scenario

Now being over seventy, and the van 3850 I wouldn’t have the right licence to drive it anyway

Our eldest son is on the insurance and could, being self employed , fly out in emergency ,to drive it home if necessary

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page