The new French 80kph limit it’s not as simple as we thought! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 14:40 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
The new French 80kph limit it’s not as simple as we thought!

On 1st July the blanket speed limit on all NON dual carriageway roads was lowered from 90 to 80kph (solo cars, motorcycles and M.H’s etc under 3500kg.
I have Just spent a couple of days with my ex crew mate from our traffic cop days at his holiday home in France. Due to his previous life he keeps a pretty careful eye on the French motoring legislation (and he speaks pretty fluent French) so.....

Firstly Please near in mind the difference between a “single carriageway” and a “dual carriageway” a single CARRIAGEWAY road can have any number of “lanes” two in one direction or one in the other or two in each direction BUT (and here’s the important bit) a “dual” carriageway can have one or more LANES in each direction BUT ALWAYS has some form of PHYSICAL barrier separating opposing lines of traffic (Armco barrier, a strip of land, hedges etc) No separation means it’s a single carriageway (even if it has four lanes) Pay attention at the back, there will be a test at the end of this!

So back to the detail.......

All is NOT as clear cut as you would like to think, on single carriageway two lane roads (one lane in each direction) the blanket limit is 80kph. HOWEVER............(Its France, it’s compulsorary to have a “However”

If you are on a SINGLE carriageway road that has THREE lanes, (one lane in your direction and two lanes opposing you) AND the two directions are separated by a SOLID white line then the single lane is still 80kph but the TWO lane side is 90Kph!!

Apparently the “thinking??” behind this is it’s OK to overtake on the two lane section at 90Kph because you will not be doing it in the face of oncoming traffic!

I have just driven up this morning (6th July) from near La Rochelle to Saumur on N &D roads. One section of about 50miles was single cattiageway but alternated frequently between one lane and two lanes in my direction of travel. At the start of each 2 lane (please note the word LANE) section there was the usual blue square sign with two white arrows pointing up and one pointing down (to identify “my” direction then had two lanes) EVERY ONE of those signs had a brand new 90Kph speed limit sign directly above it AND where it reverted back to a single lane another blue and white sign showing the end of two lanes and reverting to one lane was a brand new 80kph sign atop of it! So the info relayed by my pal would appear correct. Talk about a ******* muddle!!

Apparently this lower speed limit is “experimental” for two years. It has been brought in by the French Prime Minister as his “Pet” project. The President and the motoring organisations are all against it but apparently the PM is able to (and has) over-ruled them. Its blindingly obvious that the PM doesn’t have much of a clue as to what the impact of this measure will do. Imagine you need to cover 360k. At 90Kph that will (hypothetically) take 4 hrs? At 80 kph it will take (a fraction under) 4.5 hrs. So lots more traffic actually “on” the road system . Also my suspicion is that the death rate will actually INCREASE because SOME will obey the new limit, others will see the “observers” as holding them up, get frustrated, and take more risks to overtake, thus causing more, not less crashes.

So what you now have are French roads where the speed limit in one direction is HIGHER THAN the limit in the other direction, madness or what??

The French, dont you just love ‘em?

Andy
Pudsey_Bear, nickkdx and Devonboy like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
Devonboy (16-07-2018), HermanHymer (06-07-2018), trek (06-07-2018), wizzardi (06-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 14:52

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Some of that was very clear Andy "On 1st July" it goes to shite after that, and sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, the French may eventually figure it all out and might even get on board with it, but foreigners are in for some fun I think.
Penquin likes this.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 16:14
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
I read that some areas/towns? are going back to the original limits?
Always so complicated in France
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 20:23
xgx

My Motorhome: I drive...
Not a problem ...just set the cruise control or speed limiter to 80kph and relax ...

There's always the toll roads if you's in a hurry

Graham
(aka 1dr ... long story)
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 21:13

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes, typically complicated rules in France. Some priority to the right still exists in towns but 'most' roundabouts you do not have priority from the right. Then there's the Arch de Triumph.
Aviation is all in English except Orly Traffic Control.

Just expect the unexpected.
I noted today that most French were still driving at 100kph on single carriageways.

Ray.
patp, Penquin and nickkdx like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 21:24

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dr View Post
Not a problem ...just set the cruise control or speed limiter to 80kph and relax ...
But not too much as there are a multitude of 70kmh sections on the open road, normally associated with a perceived hazard such as crossroads or bends.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 21:36
xgx

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
But not too much as there are a multitude of 70kmh sections on the open road, normally associated with a perceived hazard such as crossroads or bends.
still easy, quick flick on the lever or touch the brakes ...did the whole of June, no probs ...it's all about staying in control and being observant
JanHank likes this.

Graham
(aka 1dr ... long story)
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 22:29

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa 2002 on Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi
If I recall correctly, some French roads have speed limits that are reduced when it rains.

I've never quite understood exactly what constitutes rain
(does fine drizzle count? Or heavy mist? Hailstones? Snow?)
also do you have to wait until the road is completely dry after rain
to speed up again or just until the precipitation seems to have ended
but there still may be spray from the road?

cheers
Roger
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:30

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Then there's this view...……………………

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/blogs...-limits-france

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 10:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Im just excited that the scooter can now easily break the speed limit so I can flip the finger at any forward facing speed cameras.
patp, Pudsey_Bear, nickkdx and 2 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page