Spring tides anyone? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:03

When I first started diving I joined Wakefield BSAC which at the time was just a load of political arseholes climbing over each other to get some poxy position on the committee, or took the club boat and nobody else could get it off them, I lasted 3 years then moved on to Kirklees dive club where I stayed for another 39 years..

The first dive I went on maybe to Weymouth or one of the dive sites darn sarf sticks in my mind, we met at the harbour and the guy organising the dive said right lets get the dive boats in fine except for one thing there was no water just a load of black slimy mud, so everybody started sliding the boats out wading through the stench, I looked on in disbelief!..

I kept my gob shut until we got back, the dive was a disaster from start to finish, the tide was running that fast divers were bottling out or those that did dive were coming up all over the place.. So when we met in the pub later I asked "Do you work the tides out" and just got blank stares back, so I said would you mind if I did it for tomorrows dive, I got the job for the next 40 years, I think they were glad they didn't have to wade through mud and the tide was slack when they went in.

ray

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:39

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Having sailed in the Med with no tides ever since the last time I had to consider a tide, which was when I crossed the Channel from Souhampton to Le Havre 30 years ago. It was a 12 hour crossing at night in a flat calm, so I calculated that the tidal drift down Channel and up would cancel out, so I set a course to steer and the Seine estuary came up bang on the nose.

Had the mast lifted at Le Havre and then had to calculate the tide time to leave at the start of the flood to reach Rouen to moor up in one tide, because mooring up below Rouen is almost impossible and I did not fancy having to drop anchor in the river on a falling tide. Anyway we made it OK. My boat cruised at 6knots but I reckon we were hitting 10 knots over the ground at times, so an easy passage. I think we made Paris the next day and went through the lock into L'Arsenale basin to moor - a great place because one is right in th middle of Paris in one's own accomodation for just the cost of a mooring fee.

Then no more tides in my sailing life.

When I was racing in a '12-metre' Class we had one famous grounding in the Sound at Ile de Chausse off Granville on the Contentin Peninsula; we had raced there from Jersey and had a great night in the hotel - very pissy. We were moored in the Sound running roughly N-S and with a westerly wind the skipper decided we would have a bit of a swank, sail to the South end and back up through the sound on a beam reach. We must have been doing 12 knots and probably looked great from the hotel. We had of course calculated the tide, but the problem with the Sound is that the sandbanks in the narrow part shift, so one cannot rely on the chart. We therefore had a couple of the crew conning depths from the bow. We drew 9' and it is not easy to judge depth to within a foot or so and being 70' overall the depth sounder was a long way back from the leading edge of the keel. Well, we grounded and stopped in metres - but only on sand.

It was a falling tide, so we knew we were there till the next tide. We heeled over at 45 degrees and moving about was difficult; I went down for a sweater from my bunk in thhe bow and crawling through was disorientating, so much so that my vision and my ear channels were giving different signals about which way was 'Up', consequently by the time I got back to the cockpit I actually felt seasick - on a stationary boat!

Our other grounding was at Cowes. We had won the Britannia Cup on the Tuesday and were racing in the NY Trophy on Thurs. We were well ahead of the field and close in to the Island shore approaching Cowes. We knew about 'Nicholson's Hump' and the Nav thought we had cleared it - but no. That cost us the race. However, with out very amateur crew and only one suite of sails we were well satisfied with the Britannia Cup win. Graeme Godfrey was a great owner and skipper to sail with and it was a privlege.

Sailors' Yarns over.

Geoff

Last edited by nicholsong; 07-04-2018 at 12:41.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 15:20

I ran aground In Brid Harbour entrance right in front of all the holiday makers, I was pushing the bottom of the tide to get in to let off a group of divers at the fish dock about as far down the harbour I could get..
If you keep hard to the right of the entrance you can scrape in as the tide running out makes a channel, except holiday makes hire rowing boats out of the harbour, and there was two of them flailing about in the harbour entrance and you cant see anything until you commit for the channel.

I blew my horn but the gormless buggers hadn't the gorm to get out of the way so I had to go for the middle and promptly ran aground in front of the holiday makers thronging the harbour, all pointing at us.. Luckily the 21ft Atlantic lifeboat was flying about doing an exhibition for the holiday makers so I called them on the radio and they came across to help, they tied up to the back of the boat and gave it some to pull us off the sandbank, their boat was stood on it's transom like an angry horse flailing about but we never moved.. I told them to fasten to the front of our boat and pull us round and we came straight off and had to go back out to sea, much to the amusement of the holiday makers..

Then a 4 hour wait for the tide to give us enough water to get in!.. So much for local knowledge, scuppered by some idiots in rowing boats..

ray.
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page