Brittany - Not Been in Years - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-02-2018, 19:44 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Brittany - Not Been in Years

Thinking of going in the summer for two -three weeks but it needs to be in August. I know it will be busy. How busy do you reckon?

The Beer Always Wins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-02-2018, 20:25

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFeinMcCabe View Post
Thinking of going in the summer for two -three weeks but it needs to be in August. I know it will be busy. How busy do you reckon?
Not so busy from 15th August onwards but prior to that can be very busy at popular places mainly on southern coast.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
MeFeinMcCabe (18-02-2018)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-02-2018, 20:35 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
From memory weather starts to go downhill tail end of August. Good Lady breaks up from school last couple of days of July and we usually head off right away to catch the better of the sun.

The Beer Always Wins

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-02-2018, 23:20

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,068 Times in 927 Posts
Personal Aire
Brittany is the most popular spot for motorhomes probably in Europe but it also also has more Aires than any other region in France. Been there most years over the last decade sometimes twice in one trip and its always a great place to go. The advice I would give is do not forget to explore inland a bit if the coastal areas get too busy. Use "France this way" website to find places to see. The further out west you get the more like Scotland or the western end of Cornwall it starts to look like and the less populated or busy it is.

In august I would get to places around 11am-2pm for the best chance of decent spot on an Aire. I Noticed on the south and North coasts recently there were a few no service MH parking only aires that have appeared in lovely spots. www.campingcar-infos.com has them all listed.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-02-2018, 08:21

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
I was there last year at the tail end of the summer, travelling from Loire area, right across to Concarneau and back to UK via Roscoff (on 30 Sept). France is usually quite sunny until mid October but last year was the exception. Sept wasn't particularly warm and quite changeable. But it had been a dry summer, with dams and waterways (Loire especially) across the country being very low, so you 'pays your money and takes your chances'.

I enjoyed staying at some very nice 4* campsites at ACSI rates. The further west you go the fewer visitors there are, especially after the rentree. Some campsites close quite early in the autumn.

For the notebook, good free aire at Pont-Aven (of biscuit fame), and a cute little touristy town with zillions of art galleries. Reminded me of the Black Forest area, which was a surprise.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
The Following User Says Thank You to HermanHymer For This Useful Post:
MeFeinMcCabe (19-02-2018)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-02-2018, 09:02

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I did notice all the church steeples and towers were different unlike ours in Normandy mostly wedge shaped.
Once you get used to them you know where you are by looking at the spires.

Ray.
MeFeinMcCabe and MeFeinMcCabe like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-02-2018, 19:40

Personal Aire
We visited both the Loire and Brittany in August last year, the weather was pretty mixed, no better than an English summer. But anyway, the French seem to start going home about the 15th and some campsites had ACSI rates from then. Campsites were busy but with space and if there wasn't there's always another not far away. By the end of the month some campsites were almost deserted. The popular aires were busy but those further away from facilities (the beach, town centres etc) less so.

The poor weather may have had an effect last year

cheers alan
The Following User Says Thank You to scouter For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-02-2018, 21:21 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks for the responses.

We have frequent traveller tickets on the Eurotunnel as its within an hour of home, but it's a long drive down to Brittany.

Was looking at Portsmouth crossings but they are expensive. Newhaven Dieppe cheap enough and Newhaven is even handier for us but for some reason I struggle with longish ferry trips as in my head I'm always calculating where we would be if we went through the tunnel.

The Beer Always Wins
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-02-2018, 21:32

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,068 Times in 927 Posts
Personal Aire
That Normandie Express from Cherbourg is faster than a power boat. Goes like the clappers. Ive used it to go home before when we have been up the Normandy peninsula which is worth a look to be honest. Very quiet and peaceful. Otherwise just have a night in Normandy somewhere at the beginning and end.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-02-2018, 08:03

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Living in Tunbridge Wells and wanting to visit Brittany you simply have to decide where you are prepared to do the mileage necessary to get you there. Along the South coast of England to Plymouth and across to Roscoff, or Calais and along the North coast of France. Either way it’s a ****ing long way!

I am not sure of your age but if over 60 don’t forget you can get 20% discount with LD lines on the Newhaven -Dieppe route. Get a good nights kip and you then have all of the following day to “Go West” towards your destination.

If it was me I would prefer to do the mileage in France, quieter roads, free Aires, cheaper fuel (just) etc.

It’s a lovely part of the world, be sure to visit the Isle De Brehat, the car park for the (short) ferry trip is also an Aire!

Also Point De Raz, the most westerly point of France is another “must see”. but ONLY on a nice sunny day, if it’s a windy day forget it!!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
MeFeinMcCabe (20-02-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page