Wifi, t'Internet and France – help please. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 18:48

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
OK Keith. I guess we have had better luck than that. Sorry about the 'hack'.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:01

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
The last time we used 'free' Wifi for the laptop in France two years ago at a McDonalds within a few hours our email was hacked and caused a heck of a lot of problems while on holiday and also when we returned home a month later.
I quite agree with you Keith.
I don't use public "free" connections like McDonalds as there is always a chance of your connection being hacked (and I don't do burgers either).
Campsite WiFi is more secure but like you, we spend a lot of time on aires so you can't rely on campsites.
FON is useful and reasonably secure if you can find a connection, but it's a big IF. I've used it in France quite a few times but connections are more often found in urban areas and we tend to stay in rural locations. It can also be a bit of a faff to connect.
All told, having your own mobile data connection is ideal with little chance of being hacked and it's available instantly in most places (albeit occasionally slow in rural areas).
At the cost of a tenner for 3 months it's a no-brainer IMO.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:36

A tenner for three months Gasp. Prey tell please.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Hacked off!

When we sat down at a table in McDonalds, only the second time I'd ever been in one, and opened the laptop I'd noticed a guy a couple of tables away start up his laptop – but at the time thought no more about it.

We were online about twenty minutes and the guy was busy on his.

As soon as we finished he closed his down and left.

A few hours later we had a phone call from a friend who lives in France, we'd met up with him for a meal earlier that week, who'd received an email asking him to send money because we'd had a problem.

He rang to check we were alright and was surprised to find we knew nothing about it.

Realising we'd been hacked we then had to email all the addresses on our Laptop to make sure they didn't respond to the false email and also cancel our Email address.

I couldn't be certain it was the guy in McDonalds but it was the first time we'd used the laptop in three weeks and seemed a big coincidence if it wasn't him.

Since then I've kept up my life's work of avoiding McDonalds, and 'free wifi outlets, that's why I'd like to be self sufficient in France this year.

'Dordogne or bust' is this years slogan.

raynipper and raynipper like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:00

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
A tenner for three months Gasp. Prey tell please.

Ray.
Just follow the link I posted earlier - here it is again:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/ne...s&siteid=73669

Actually they're up to £10.69 this week, they were £9.69 last week incl. postage when I bought one. They'll probably be on offer again before long if you can wait a week or two.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
raynipper (14-02-2017)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:26

Thanks Gasp.
I guess my use would be down here in Portugal in winter. Although we do have good Wi-Fi at the apartment suitable for even TV streaming. It's when out and about I feel the need to access mail on the go.

Thanks again.
Ray.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:37

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Believe it or not I have a 24gb three data sim which cost about £27 and is valid for 24 months. It was on Amazon, but is currently unavailable. I picked up this info either on here or the autosleeperowners forum. It was an exclusive to Amazon. It might be worth monitoring for a while if your trip is a while off yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Ph...ems/B00509SP6M

I have had good success with the 12gb for about £30 valid for 12 months in most parts of France over the last two years. It doesn't stream, but is good for what you need it for. Bought them over the counter at a three shop.

Davy
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRienza For This Useful Post:
raynipper (14-02-2017)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:52

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
Hacked off!

When we sat down at a table in McDonalds, only the second time I'd ever been in one, and opened the laptop I'd noticed a guy a couple of tables away start up his laptop – but at the time thought no more about it.

We were online about twenty minutes and the guy was busy on his.

As soon as we finished he closed his down and left.

A few hours later we had a phone call from a friend who lives in France, we'd met up with him for a meal earlier that week, who'd received an email asking him to send money because we'd had a problem.

He rang to check we were alright and was surprised to find we knew nothing about it.

Realising we'd been hacked we then had to email all the addresses on our Laptop to make sure they didn't respond to the false email and also cancel our Email address.

I couldn't be certain it was the guy in McDonalds but it was the first time we'd used the laptop in three weeks and seemed a big coincidence if it wasn't him.

Since then I've kept up my life's work of avoiding McDonalds, and 'free wifi outlets, that's why I'd like to be self sufficient in France this year.

'Dordogne or bust' is this years slogan.

First thing I do when using my laptop on an open wi-fi is fire up my VPN software. Everything then goes through that, encrypted so that it can't be intercepted.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:57

Thanks Davey.
Luckily France is not my problem. I have free calls round the world FROM France both landline and mobile.
It's the 3 months we might be away from home in winter that I'm looking at.

Ray.
TeamRienza and TeamRienza like this.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-02-2017, 14:03

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
if you plan to use any campsites, many now have free wi-fi as part of their packages, or if not free, for a small amount of €. problem is sometimes getting a decent signal depending on where you are on site but using an iBoost system can help here. but I have found with some campsite wifi, if many people are logged in at the same time, speeds can be glacially slow.

a MiFi system with a Three sim is another way forward as has been said - I've just invested in one to overcome issues where campsites are sh1t or if on aires where there is no local wifi.

FON is fine depending on where you are - in towns, you can usually pick something up but out in the sticks you'll be lucky.

many bars and restaurants also have free wifi and are probably more secure than McD - if you do have to use McD then make sure you follow good practice for using wifi in public places (loads of info via Google)

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page