Use of aires with a Blue Badge - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Penquin
  • 2 Post By barryd
  • 2 Post By GMJ
  • 2 Post By blondel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 18:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Use of aires with a Blue Badge

If MHF will allow this link to work, it goes to another MotorHome Forum that just happens to be Fun, it contains information that I am not aware of and have never encountered, but others might have done....

Blue Badges and French aires

To some extent this will be a test as to whether the antipathy between these two Forums has now ceased (any mention of Fun in the past was auto-censored and blocked), but it is also of interest....

If it does NOT work I will post the text from that place on here....

Dave

Just checked and it does seem to work....

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
GMJ (11-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 19:24

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
We always seem to find out these things too late! All those years I was travelling with my Mum round France and I never know. Well I suppose it was only 2015 that I missed out on!

It was the same with the Severn crossing! I only recently found out that you don't pay the toll there if you have a Blue Badge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 19:54

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Link works fine Dave. Thats an interesting one. Presume it only applies to none private Aires of course and is it just pay and display ones or the ones where they come round and collect the money?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 20:10

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Well surely we have a member in Germany who can check this for us.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 21:17 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Link works fine Dave. Thats an interesting one. Presume it only applies to none private Aires of course and is it just pay and display ones or the ones where they come round and collect the money?
I genuinely do not know, this evening was the first that I have ever heard of it and I am grateful to the person that brought it to my attention. I have a BB and have always paid - perhaps because we have always met the collecting agent outside the MH and have ever got into such a discussion.

I am sure that we will see if it does exist around here at some time....

Dave
barryd and barryd like this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 06:43
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Thanks for this Dave - good info

We have a blue badge and had not considered this. I wonder if it will extend across Germany et al as well

There is some good advice on t'internet regarding the BB and motorway tolls in France as well. Officially they should reduce the Class 2 to Class 1 tolls IF the vehicle has been especially adapted for disabled use HOWEVER it appears that in many [not all!] cases merely waving it in the direction of the tollbooth operator and smiling sweetly, works as well.

We try and avoid the MWays in France if we can preferring the bimbling routes however this could come in handy when we start doing our winter trips to Spain.

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:04

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I must admit even I as a serial Freeloader might feel a tad awkward in a line of vans on an Aire where the "man" is taking the money and you stick your badge in front of his nose. He is either going to look at you like your mad and give you the Gallic shrug or if he accepts it everyone else is going to hate you or spend the rest of the day watching you to see if your really an invalid.
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 22:11 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
We have never tried it on the autoroutes and are unlikely to do so, we ONCE travelled across the M4 bridge for free as the toll booth operator spotted it on the dashboard and said we were foc - much to our suprise.

Dave

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 06:31
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
We have no issue using the BB in any of its legal capacities tbh. There is very little advantage to having a life wasting illness so what small comforts can be secured along the way are welcome.

Foreign BB's are welcome here and get the same treatment so I see it as reciprocal and very forward thinking of the French.

What does make my **** boil is when folks park in BB spaces with no BB, for example...or use the BB in any other nefarious manner.

Graham
blondel and blondel like this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 10:59

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Thanks for this Dave - good info

We have a blue badge and had not considered this. I wonder if it will extend across Germany et al as well

There is some good advice on t'internet regarding the BB and motorway tolls in France as well. Officially they should reduce the Class 2 to Class 1 tolls IF the vehicle has been especially adapted for disabled use HOWEVER it appears that in many [not all!] cases merely waving it in the direction of the tollbooth operator and smiling sweetly, works as well.

We try and avoid the MWays in France if we can preferring the bimbling routes however this could come in handy when we start doing our winter trips to Spain.

Graham
We have found that they very rarely give the discount to us despite blue badge and adapted vehicle ( van is RHD so the toll operator cannot see the hand controls fitted so that my husband can drive it) I have even written the request and explanation of the adaption down to show but still no joy - well occasionally at the very short €2 level
We were told once that we needed the 'disabled' card issued to French disabled drivers in order to qualify for it.
Have now stopped even asking for it to avoid the feeling that we are being wrongly treated
Shame as it would make a big difference and enable a few more indulgences on the food and wine front
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page