The coast of Brittany - fishing villages not water chutes! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-03-2014, 18:31 Thread Starter

The coast of Brittany - fishing villages not water chutes!

I am putting together a route around mainly the coastal areas of Brittany, beginning at St Malo. I have found a site local to Dinnan but the next intended stop, near Vannes and the Gulf of Morbihan is proving tricky.

The area looks inviting - small islands and a rugged coastline but all the sites I find look like Butlins! Being seaside venues they seem largely geared up for children. We are looking for something a little less lively. I have looked here and on other sites but nothing seems to fit the bill.

We may have to go a little in land for something a little less water chutes, playgrounds and pizza. Any ideas please?

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-03-2014, 18:46

Try Camping Saint-Cado - between Lorient and Quiberon.

Have a look: not a water slide in sight!

http://www.camping-saintcado.com/uk/...theque_camping
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-03-2014, 19:22

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Hi Autumn! We are doing some of the Brittany coast on our two week trip in May. In fact we are heading straight to the coast near Vannes as soon as we come off the ferry in Caen. We intend using ACSI sites and Municipals. Some of the municipal sites in the Vannes area look delightful, small, lovely locations (often right on the coast) and relatively cheap. Look at the site www.camping-municipal.org. ACSI also have plenty of smaller sites that should suit you.

Caulkhead

Edit. If you use Google Chrome as your browser, pages in French will be automatically translated.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-03-2014, 21:06

Brittany

We are off to Brittany end of May till 16th June.Same as you looking for similar sites!so watching with interest!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-03-2014, 21:28

This is a great site for exploring on bike, boat or walking.

http://www.campingfrance.com/UK/Find...-SABLES-BLANCS

Also lots of free aires nearby.

One could see the Carnac stones or drive the short way to the U boat station at Saint Nazaire.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:55

Hi there,

We have stayed a few times at a municipal site at Malatois (I think that's how you spell it) It is right next to the river & within walking distance of the town, a lovely place.

There is only a shower block on site, but there is an indoor pool & tennis court nearby & canoes for hire if you want a quiet boat ride along the river.

Cavaqueen
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:44

Malestroit, perhaps?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 13:29

Hi Autumn

I can reveal the perfect site for the Golfe du Morbihan area, but if you tell anyone else I shall be after you with a baseball bat!!!

The Municipal de Port Sable (47.543897,-2.910701) is probably the best site we have been on in years. The site itself is nothing to write home about - typical municipal, BUT it is in the perfect situation, and it had a brand new toilet block built in 2012. Some of the pitches slope quite a lot so have a wander around before choosing. It gets a bit full at weekends (the bloody French know about it!! ) but if you arrive on Friday evening or Saturday, get the best available pitch and move on Sunday evening when the French go home - the staff are very friendly and accommodating

I shall be in deep mire from my friend Wakk for giving away the secret, but a couple of Grimbergens at one of the cafes overlooking the bay in Port Navalo, will calm him down. (You are buying of course! )

Dave

Attached Images
File Type: jpg port_sable_1_727.jpg (339.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg port_sable_2_194.jpg (378.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg port_sable_3_130.jpg (81.9 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 14:23 Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestions - it has taken me all morning to research them . A couple look promising - not exactly on the Golf du Morbihan but those fronting the beach there do look very big and children orientated, so will probably opt for something further along the coast.

Robrace, I will post our choices here, which may be of interest to you.

Autumn
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 14:29 Thread Starter

Just caught up with Zebedee's suggestion - it was on my list already, and has moved up a notch. However, we are all sworn to secrecy!

Autumn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page