A Slow Tour Of Brittany - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2014, 14:25 Thread Starter

A Slow Tour Of Brittany

I got some great info. here re a trip to Germany, traveling along the Romantische Strasse, but now the chap has said he would quite like to tour Brittany instead. We did quite a long journey last year and intend another to Spain next year, so, thinking about it, why not a gentle tour between campsites within an hour or so of one another?

We still haven't decided but I know there will be those here who will be able to advise on what's good to see and where to stay in Brittany. I haven't been there for over twenty five years and didn't have the 'van then. We usually spend a week touring, a week in a hired cottage, and a week returning home.

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2014, 15:06

My Motorhome: Autotrail excel 600
Hundreds of free aires in Brittany so 'All the Aires France' would be a great help to you if you don't want to use campsites.
Our favourite town is Dinan and the nearby village of Lehon. There is a lovely walk along the river between the two.
The north coast has some spectacular beaches and coastal walks. One of our favourites is St. Jacut de la Mer.
On the west coast the towns of Vannes and Concarneau are worth a look but many more in between.
Happy travelling.
Cazzie
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2014, 15:59

Personal Aire
We've done a slow tour of Brittany twice, we just meandered along the coast starting near Dinard/St Malo in June. Didn't book and used a combination of Aires, French Passion and small campsites. It was brill both times.

We particularly liked Ile Grande north west of Lannion, fantastic coast, huge empty bay full of people cockelling at low tide, and the north coast. On the west coast Camaret sur Mer has stunning views over the sea and a huge aire, and we particularly liked the one near Audierne.

French passion has beef farms, cidre farms etc

alan

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2014, 18:47

Hi
Did a tootle of Brittany last year. Fantastic. Great site at Pors Peron. All the coastline is lovely. Plenty of aires on coast and inland.
Don't miss the parish closes south of Morlaix and northeast of Brest. ( Guimilau and St Tregonnec are just two of them) Really interesting. Weather much warmer in south of Brittany. Carnac is great but out of season is best, otherwise very crowded.
Smurfinguk
( see our blog 5 on MHF for lots more details)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 15-03-2014, 16:00 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for info. on Brittany. I have noted all the suggestions. It certainly sounds lovely and on this warm sunny spring day I am really getting into holiday mood. Pity that this is also the day I received my insurance renewal documents for the 'van!

Autumn
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 15-03-2014, 18:30 Thread Starter

I compiled a tour route of Brittany, based upon all the suggestions given. It does look good, I think. Obviously I will fine tune it but a great start, so thanks again everyone.

I hope I can successfully load the image.

Autumn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brittany_-_route_214.jpg (230.1 KB, 10 views)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 15-03-2014, 19:20

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
Looks a good route. Dont know if you plan to come off the route and explore some of the coast in the north bit as your missing out some lovely coastal areas if you stick to the route exactly.

It looks similar to routes we have done a few times.

There are so many places to stop off and see. I would allow at least a couple of weeks minimum for that lot.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 15-03-2014, 19:51

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Are each of those points stopovers???

aldra
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2014, 11:24

Personal Aire
Hi again,

I'd stick to the coast on the north coast and explore the peninsula north west of Brest, there's so many villages and little towns that are worth exploring and all sorts of bays and headlands with views. Not to mention the fantastic lighthouses some on the coast others out to sea on the reefs and small islands. Its ideal for meandering and finding out somewhere to stop for an hour or even days when you find the spot

cheers alan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2014, 11:30

Quote:
Alan said:- I'd stick to the coast on the north coast and explore the peninsula north west of Brest, there's so many villages and little towns that are worth exploring and all sorts of bays and headlands with views.
Spot on Alan.

One of our favourite destinations - but the far north by Finisterre is also very pretty and relatively quiet and unspoiled. Most people don't go there specifically so it gets bypassed. Loads of wild camping in lay byes and viewing points too, with no apparent hassle from M. le Plodde.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page