Tolls in the Czech Republic. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-09-2012, 09:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Tolls in the Czech Republic.

I have been in contact withe the Czech Tourist Office asking about tolls. They sent me the following information which seems to answer my questions and covers tolls and more.

Note that tolls apply to motorways only.

Dear Sir,

The Czech Republic operates a similar motorway tax system to Austria. A sticker (vignette) must be displayed on motorhomers or campervans with a MAM up to 3500kg, trailers are not taxed. Vignettes valid for 10 days, one month or one year can be purchased at borders, fuel stations and post offices. Motorhomes or campervans weighing over 3500kg will be monitored by an electronic premid toll box. Visitors will have to load credit onto the premid unit. Charges are variable depending on the number of axles and the emissions category of the engine and day of the week, more information is at www.premid.cz .

Fees and toll
Passenger cars must have a sticker on the windscreen to use the motorways (the so-called motorway vignette), which is proof of payment of the fee for use of motorways. The motorway vignette can be purchased at any filling station. Prices for vehicles up to 3.5t are as follows:
annual vignette – CZK 1,500
monthly vignette – CZK 440
10-day vignette – CZK 310.

Vehicles over 3.5t in weight are subject to payment of electronic toll fees and must acquire a special on-board unit. More information can be found at www.premid.cz

Accidents
The rule applies in the Czech Republic that if you estimate the costs for damage to the vehicles involved including transportation fees at less than CZK 100,000 (and if the participants agree on who caused the accident), you do not need to call the police. You are however obliged to draw up a record of the traffic accident on a special form (the standard European Accident Statement form – your insurance company will provide you with this). Both parties involved in the accident must then report the accident to their insurance company.
If the damage is greater or if any injury or damage occurs to the property of a third party (or for example to crash barriers etc.), you must always call the police. You are obliged to provide essential aid to injured parties and to mark the location of the accident.
LPG/CNG

There are almost 900 filling stations for LPG in the Czech Republic and less than 30 stations with CNG.

Moving around the city
Large cities have carefully designed tram, bus, trolleybus or metro routes in terms of the local public transport company. You can regularly purchase individual tickets for individual journeys, but if you are staying for longer, be sure to buy the more advantageous day tickets, two-day tickets or week tickets etc.
You will avoid needless problems in the metro, tram or bus if you have purchased a ticket and stamped it. In the case of the metro, you stamp the ticket when entering by inserting it into the stamping machine. In other means of public transport, these machines are located throughout the whole vehicle.
You can use taxi services all over the country, but it is better to use the services of larger renowned companies and before setting off, ask for a rough final price.

Campsites, Motorhome Stopovers and Offsite-Parking in the Czech Republic
The Czech Republic has over 560 campsites, a downloadable and searchable campsite guide is available at http://www.camp.cz/en/ , www.czech-camping.com . There are no Motorhome Stopovers and Offsite-Parking is illegal.

Driving your motorhome or campervan in the Czech Republic
Dipped headlights are compulsory during daylight hours and on the spot fines can be issued for non-compliance of this and other traffic offences.

Vehicle related accidents must be reported to the police in the following circumstances: Any person is injured or killed. When the visible damage has a greater value than CZK 100,000. If third party property or street furniture is damaged, or the road is obstructed. In any of these situations, obtain a copy of the police report, as it may be required at the border when you leave the country. Upon entry into the Czech Republic, notify Border officials of any visible damage to the exterior of your vehicle to. If your vehicle is involved in an accident and the visible damage has a lower value than CZK 100,000 and the participants can agree who is responsible, the accident must be recorded on a European Accident Statement. This statement is used to report the accident to the insurance companies.

Basic traffic regulations
vehicles must drive on the right,
seatbelts must be worn when driving,
lights must be switched on all year round,
children (under 150 cm in height) must be strapped into a car seat and may not sit in the front passenger seat,
speed limit: motorway/out of town/in town – 130/90/50 km/h,
pedestrians on a crossing always have right of way,
drivers must be over the age of 18,
it is forbidden to hold a mobile telephone while driving, telephoning is only possible with a hands-free set,
the level of alcohol permitted in the blood is zero per ml. Anything above this is considered violation of the law.
Documents required
driving licence (European or international),
ID card (EU) or passport,
vehicle documents (small certificate of roadworthiness, third party insurance and a green card).

With kind regards,

Marie Juránková
manažer TIC
Tourist Information Centre Manager

ÄŚCCR – CzechTourism
Vinohradská 46, 120 41 Praha 2
Tel.: + 420 221 580 611
GSM: + 420 777 702 755
E-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]
www.czechtourism.cz
www.czechtourism.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-09-2012, 11:06

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
We were over there last week, we crossed the border between Poland and the Czech Rep, E75 i think. as we were about to cross the border point there were men trying to flag you down, i slowed and wound the window down and then thought carry on, within about 100 metres someone else did the same so i stopped and he was saying something about the vignette (under 3.5t) so i parked up and went into the office there and bought one for 9 euro i believe for ten days. I bought one last year at a filling station and i'm pretty sure i paid 15 euro.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 17:13

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun ti 650mf
Personal Aire
BUMP....
I have read through lots of info on several sites, and I can't find out if it's possible to drive our, over 3.5 tons m/home, through the Czech Republic , Slovenia, and Hungary on roads other than the motorways/ expressways, which are tolled ?
The reason I am asking is because our trip through these countries is imminent, and we have previously travelled across France, Spain and Portugal covering 5600 miles and paid no tolls at all (well I lie, we paid 60 cents for one junction on a peage in France !!).
Can anyone please help who has done this themselves ? ( appreciate that not all the 3 countries have exactly the same toll systems)
Many thanks in advance.
Vinny & Sue

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 17:19

Hey up.

We came through these countries during the last year and went non toll roads, no problems, the roads themselves were a bit rickety in places with loads of pot holes especially in Hungary.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 17:26

Personal Aire
Ray, thanks for that, I just wanted the reassurance from someone who had actually done it, we don't mind dawdling along back roads etc....we believe from reading other threads that it's not just the back roads in Hungary which are pot holed !! .
Thanks again...any more experiences out there ??
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 17:46

Two points about the original post,
1. Last time we bought a motorway vignette in the Czech Republic we were overcharged and didn't realise until too late.

2. The information says to fill in a Standard European Accident form. Our insurer (Safeguard) told me they no longer gave these out as the underwriters didn't want any liability to be admitted. The information says you fill this out if the participants agree on who caused the accident, but again insurers tell you to accept n liability.

LLL
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 18:41

Personal Aire
Hi LLL,
You say you were overcharged, presume this was at an official checkpoint , would it not have prices on any official documentation ?
Here's hoping we will not require the accident report, but you are right in not ever admitting any responsibility.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 19:03

Hey up.

Reading the other posts reminded me that if you go to any non EU countries, make sure you notify your insurer before you set off so they include them on your insurance form as they are checked at any border.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 19:32

Personal Aire
Ray, surely Czech Republic , Slovenia and Hungary are all EU countries ? or were you just generalising, to assist other travellers heading further afield ?...good point though
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 20:05

Hey up.

We decided to go through Montenegro and Albania on our way down to Greece, we didn't know we were going that way it just seemed a laugh..

Ok we bought insurance at each border to cover us so they would let us in,, but at a cost!.. So it was just a bit of information that might apply to some, for warned is for armed.

ray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page