Tolls in the Czech Republic. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 21:27

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun ti 650mf
Personal Aire
That was some adventurous laugh you did !
We are all for being forearmed, hence my original enquiry....
Keep on 'laughing ' but be careful.

Vinny & Sue

PS. Just reading up on Slovakia tolls and it seems if you are over 3.5 tons and classed as a motor caravan on your V5C, and not capable carrying more than 9 passenger !, then no tolls at all !!...bring it on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnythehat
PS. Just reading up on Slovakia tolls and it seems if you are over 3.5 tons and classed as a motor caravan on your V5C, and not capable carrying more than 9 passenger !, then no tolls at all !!...bring it on....
My understanding too - good enough for me!

We are in Slovenia now (at a little restaurant near Maribor [Kamnica] , with a view of the river (it's in Camperstop). Just had an excellent steak in there at much less than UK price, wine at 1 euro a glass.

We are over 3.5 tonnes. We have used 'no tolls' on sat-nav; it brought us on motorway round Lubjana, but no problem as there is no toll on that bit. If you use tolled motorway you must pay in cash (unless you have HGV 'fuel-card type payment), but I'm sure that would work out cheaper than a month's vignette anyway.

Tomorrow we head for Hungary. My understanding (following email to their toll company) is that ALL roads are chargable for over 3.5 tonnes, but Motorhomes have to have a vignette. Policing is by mobile number plate regognition cameras. I'll post something when we've got there - hopefully having 'cracked' the system
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 22:19

Quote:
Hi LLL,
You say you were overcharged, presume this was at an official checkpoint , would it not have prices on any official documentation ?
Here's hoping we will not require the accident report, but you are right in not ever admitting any responsibility.
We bought the vignette at a garage, which although an official selling place was not a checkpoint. From what I remember of the overcharge we were charged for the next highest vignette rather than the one we were given. It could of course have been a genuine mistake. We should have checked before we left the garage.
In Slovakia, Czech Republic and Hungary we have bought vignettes since they were introduced.. They are a reasonable price and depending on where you are going can make the journey much more smooth. It is of course great to get off the beaten track and not use motorways but they are handy for travelling longer distances. I do remember driving through these countries years ago when they had no vignettes, indeed no motorways that I can recall!
LLL

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 24-04-2014, 09:06

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
That was some adventurous laugh you did !
We are all for being forearmed, hence my original enquiry....
Keep on 'laughing ' but be careful.

Vinny & Sue

Vinny and Sue

Please where did you find the Slowakia info?

Geoff
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-04-2014, 22:06

Personal Aire
Hi Lalala, sounds like it could have been a genuine mistake at the garage, we will give them the benefit of the doubt ! The vignettes are no good for us, we are 3.85 tons...
Geoff, it's on here ..https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopti....html.....hope that works ! Never tried that before !!
Seems to be correct, but we will see at the border shortly...
Setting off early hours Mon morning...
Happy travelling everyone...May see you somewhere in Europe
Vinny & Sue.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-04-2014, 22:08

Personal Aire
Just realised Geoff, you were one of one of the contributors to that particular debate !!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 28-04-2014, 20:38

Current update on HUNGARY tolls (reference question asked earlier in this thread):

Yes, I can. Sorry it'd been a bit delayed, but this is the first time we have had wifi for a few days.

First, let me apologise for incorrect information in an earlier post of mine - motorhomes - even over 3.5 tonnes do NOT have to pay tolls on all roads - this requirement only applied to GOODS CARRYING vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

Motorhomes require a B2 (I believe it is) VIGNETTE to use motorways; they do not require the vignette to use other roads. I tried to find out the answer to this question on the website, but was unable to find it. I did find a list of agents for the Hungarian tolls in various countries (surrounding Slovenia) and went to a Petrol station in Maribor, as indicated (literally branded 'PETROL'!), but they only had the vignettes for cars.

So I rang the number I had found on the website - +36 36 587 500 -
and spoke in English (all I can manage!) to a very helpful lady who said quite clearly that for a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes a vignette is only required to use the motorways - you can use any other roads without it. She pointed out that you can buy your vignette before you get to Hungary on-line. [I presume that your reg, no. will then be recorded, as I read that they check using mobile NPR cameras, but please don't take my word for it - if you need to, make your own checks - if necessary with one of the helpful staff at their call-centre]

When we entered Hungary we almost immediately passed a petrol station clearly advertising that they were selling vignettes. As we didn't want one - we are happy to pootle along on the main roads (all reasonably OK so far) without using motorways.

On our journey through to Heviz we passed under one camera gantry which I presume is there to record toll info (as it was similar to the ones in Poland used for the same purpose). How they know that a numberplate belongs to a vehicle liable to pay a toll - or not - I don't know, but I hope it does! Anyway, I am quite clear about the information I was given on the phone and it is clear that the Hungarian authorities have considered motorhomes and small (mini) buses as being distinct from goods carrying vehicles, so GOOD for them!! Very Happy Perhaps the Austrian authorities might like to consult with them and introduce vignette for motorhomes, but I'm not holding my breath!!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 28-04-2014, 21:07

Personal Aire
Hi hblewett,
Thanks so much for all your hard work on this subject, that seems to tick 3 boxes, ie :- Hungary, Slovenia and Slovakia, either nothing to pay for us heavy weights, or just avoid motorways and toll roads on your sat nav....we are on our way now, campsite near Rotterdam, and setting off east tomorrow, across Netherlands and Germany towards Czech Republic , then turning south...happy travelling everyone.
Vinny & Sue
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-05-2014, 18:26

Personal Aire
Update...arrived today on small site across the river from Prague centre, after travelling south through the Czech Republic from Dresden, via site at Litomerice. Stopped at petrol station on the border and enquired re- being over 3.5 tons, the. girl only new about, and sold the vignettes, but assured us that these were only needed if the motorways were used and as previously said on here, set sat nav to avoid motorways and carried on, with no problems whatsoever. Just to set our minds at ease further, the owner of the 1st site, spoke very good English, and also assured us the same ie:- no vignette or go box needed off the motorways...result !
All the A and B type roads so far are ok to fine, no worse that a lot of British roads !
Happy travels to all...Slovakia next then Hungary ....
Vinny & Sue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page