Austria - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 10:50 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Austria

Hi , we are looking at visiting Austria next summer in our motorhome in August and would like to visit Vienna and Salzburg. Appreciating that the last couple of years have been affected by covid can anyone advise if itís necessary to book sites in Austria at that time of year . We are looking for somewhere with access to good public transport to these cities so recommendations would be very welcome
patp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 11:20
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Hi and welcome

i think you'd be well advised to. We have visited Austria in earlier summer and in Sept and sites have been busy - not full - but busy.

Don't forget you will need a vignette or Go-Box depending on the size of your vehicle and the type of roads you will be travelling on

https://www.austria.info/en/service-...y-car/vignette
patp, johnsenior and marchie like this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 11:22

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Vienna has a large well organised and secure aire/stellplaz with facilities handy for public transport. It is not a campsite as we know it but was what we wanted. It's in the books/apps but I can't remember the name of it now but could look it up if you can't find it. Been to Salzburg great place but not in the van.

I take it you know that motorways and major passes have tolls. You need to purchase a physical device with credit on it that is electronically deducted as you travel.

Although I have visited twice (once a transit) I didnít bother as the other roads are decent if you are not in a hurry.
patp, johnsenior and marchie like this.

Dick
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 11:39

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,228 Times in 1,072 Posts
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum. Not been since 2012 and we never got as far as Vienna but did do Salzburg and the Austrian lakes to the east and south east of there which were absolutely stunning. Austria is not a place many motorhomes visit which is a shame as its fantastic. I did do a blog which probably wont be much help to you and all the images are missing since Google revamped it.

https://sites.google.com/site/hankte...ria?authuser=0

There are a few Aires but nowhere near as many as Germany and France. I joined an Austrian motorhome forum (cant remember which one) before we left and got some great spots and ideas off them but there will be plenty of stuff available online now like Camper Contact https://www.campercontact.com/en/austria

We were just inside ACSI season when we arrived and stayed at an ACSI Site at Mutters and Natters for Salzburg. Cant comment on public transport as we carry a scooter.

As for booking ahead, as said it never seemed that busy with vans when we were there. I would just wing it.
patp and johnsenior like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 11:55

the aire mentioned above is close to a metro station so easy access into the city ,Vienna is a great city with a good tourist info office which is near the famous opera house ( you can have lunch in there and its reasonable) allow several days for your visit
Glandwr, patp and johnsenior like this.

pagey
The Following User Says Thank You to pagey For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 15:47

Another tip for Vienna. The no 1 tram goes around the Ring Strasse and is almost as good as one of the expensive open top tour buses for seeing the sights and getting a feel for the city. You can ride all day for on (cheap) bus day ticket. What is not covered by the no 1 is covered by the no 7 from memory.

Dick
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 15:54

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Dont miss the worlds longest Alpine Coaster at Mieders. The object being to go down without using the brakes at all. I managed it but you need to time it well so nobody is in front of you.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Dont miss the worlds longest Alpine Coaster at Mieders. The object being to go down without using the brakes at all. I managed it but you need to time it well so nobody is in front of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCkICXWdWI&t
That was incredible Barry. Showed the son in law would is a thrill seeker and he immediately looked up it up 16:50Ä, you would get bugger all for that here. Its closed ATM but he swears its on the family agenda for next summer. I've told him not to include me have you been down it?

Dick
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 18:32

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
That was incredible Barry. Showed the son in law would is a thrill seeker and he immediately looked up it up 16:50Ä, you would get bugger all for that here. Its closed ATM but he swears its on the family agenda for next summer. I've told him not to include me have you been down it?
Yes I have been down it a couple of times having seen the videos before we went. Im sure it was less than a tenner when we did it but its nine years ago. Its worth doing as you go up in the cable car to about 6500ft and its stunning up there. Have a bit of a walk round then fling yourself back down the mountain on the coaster. Michelle came up but went back down in the cable car
Glandwr, patp and johnsenior like this.

johnsenior (17-11-2021)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Another tip for Vienna. The no 1 tram goes around the Ring Strasse and is almost as good as one of the expensive open top tour buses for seeing the sights and getting a feel for the city. You can ride all day for on (cheap) bus day ticket. What is not covered by the no 1 is covered by the no 7 from memory.
yes i forgot you can travel round the city on an old tram its well worth it

pagey
The Following User Says Thank You to pagey For This Useful Post:
johnsenior (17-11-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page