Austrian Go-Box - proving weight. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 4 Post By Mrplodd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 29-01-2018, 16:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Austrian Go-Box - proving weight.

I found this paragraph on the Austrian Tourist Board website in reference to Go-Box for >3.5t

"Vehicles exeeding 3,5t The toll tariff system based on emission categories concerns all motor vehicles with a maximum permissible gross weight exceeding 3.5t and applies on all Austrian motorways and highways. These vehicles are required to attach a small adjustment - named the GO-Box - to their windscreen. Note that this includes larger private vehicles such as motor caravans that are above the weight limit. If your motor vehicle is close to the weight limit you are advised to carry documentation confirming the maximum permitted laden weight. If your registration documents do not clearly state this, you'll need to produce alternative certification e.g. from a weigh-bridge."

I thought the enboldened section interesting.

Our V5C shows no Max. Permissible Gross Weight, only Revenue Weight of 3850kg. We have a 'Plated Weight' showing 3500kg.

From what they are saying it would be possible to go to a weighbridge with empty tanks and get a certificate for <3500kg and as long as one kept below that figure in transit in Austria on the Motorways, by running water nearly empty and fuel low, one could be legal even if stopped and weighed.

I know there are many older V5Cs with no Max. Weight.

Has anybody done this and were you checked and how did you get on?

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 29-01-2018, 17:29

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I think they are just looking at the whole thing in a different way to the UK norm. In the UK it's the plated weight (which ought to be the same as the revenue weight on the V5) that counts, not the actual weight which may be considerably less. The Austrians are willing to go by your V5 or a weigh bridge ticket, if the latter you'd have to guess it would need to be very recent. In practice I'm not sure that a weigh bridge ticket would be enough unless the registration of the vehicle was printed on it along with the weight and the date.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (30-01-2018)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-01-2018, 19:51

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I would expect any enforcement officer to use the vehicles plate as confirmation of its max weight as that’s always going to be easy to find.

Well that’s what I always used!!

Andy
erneboy, erneboy, chasper and 1 others like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 13:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Andy

Obviously the plate is more reliable as it is issued by builders or converters based on what the Vehicle's Construction and Use Certificate approves, whereas you and I know DVLA will put down anything they are told by a Dealer or owner, and do not have the knowledge to check it.

Often on the Continent the first thing the Police will say is 'Papers', which could be useless in UK, since drivers do not have to carry them.

It is uncertain what happens if the information between the Papers and the Plate show a discrepancy - either different figures or abscence of a figure on the V5C.

At least the Austrians seem to recognise that the Papers might not have Max Permitted Weight and offer an alternative - although that comes from the Tourist Office, but one hopes is based on info from the Enforcement agencies.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page