Gobox fine - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 22:13
Senior Member
Yaxley's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick Ireland
My Motorhome: Hobby Optima Premium T70GE
Posts: 580
Thanks: 67
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Veevee you dont have to worry about certificates. You just pay the top rate of 27cent per km like me....... about 200euro to go through Austria and back which is why I will be going through Switzerland on the way to Croatia and Slovenia next year
Yaxley is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 22:29 Thread Starter
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Essex
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


It's a real faff but not too bad when you know all the wrinkles...

Firstly, you're over 3.5 tons so you would have to buy a GoBox to travel on Austrian autoroutes and expressways.

How much toll you pay per km depends on the Euro Emission Category (EEC) that they have recorded for your vehicle. The worse your emissions, the more you pay.

The cheapest toll rate will be for Euro 5, then it gets more expensive for classes 4, 3, 2 and 1.

The chances are that, on your older van, it will be Euro 4 at the very best (but more likely 3 or 2, sadly) so it will be more expensive tolls.

So, the question is - what's your van's EEC?

Well, it may be declared on your V5C but, if not, you need to write to the manufacturer (Fiat, Mercedes etc.) and request a emissions certificate (it's called a homologation letter) stating what EEC the engine conformed to at the point of manufacture.

When you buy a GoBox on entry into Austria you need to declare you EEC.

If you are EEC 1,2, or 3 then you simply declare it when purchasing the GoBox and that's all you need to do.

If your EEC is 4 or 5, which get preferential rates, you have to prove it to them by submitting an application form (I've put a web link to the form below) to the GO authorities, plus copies of your supporting evidence (homologation letter and copy of V5C).

You can send these documents (post or email scans) IN ADVANCE (up to 6 months) so it's all sorted when you subsequently buy the GoBox.

Otherwise you have to post/email them within 14 days of buying the GoBox. This is where we went wrong and got fined

BTW in the summer, when the mountain passes are open, with a half-decent satnav and plenty of time, you can avoid the toll roads completely. And discover some lovely Austrian villages in the process

Application form for Euro 4 & 5 classes

Hope that helps
ozwhit and ozwhit like this.
uncleswede is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome