Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD fuel consumption - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 14:29 Thread Starter

Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD fuel consumption

Hi All

Sorry if this question has been asked previously......I had a look but couldnt find anything

Looking for some advice from you mechanically minded heads out there

I have a 2003 Fiat Ducato (2.3jtd) coach built. It has 45,000 km on the clock and running well.
We were out on the van for the weekend and I have calculated that I was getting 20mpg (14L/100km in new money). The majority of the driving was motorway and we were not pushing any harder than about 100kph

First question is.......does this sound very heavy on juice or is it standard for the 2.3?

Just one thing that might be of note, If the van is running, and you are standing outside, you can hear a "hissing" noise from the engine bay. When we bought the van, we had it checked by our mechanic and he heard the noise......he initially though that it was a turbo issue but having connected the van to diagnostics, no errors showed up for the turbo. The mechanic then put the "hissing" noise down to a leaving vac/air line and indicated that there was no concern

Given the heavy fuel consumption, I am wondering if there might be a problem with the fuel air mix causing excessive fuel burn? (kinda like your central heating oil burner)

Perhaps 20mpg is a s good as it gets

The van has not been remapped and as I understand it, remapping doesn't really effect your fuel consumption rather it gives higher end torque?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 14:39

Just the first one to reply, as you can see my MPG figures are the same but I would expect it for a large motorhome.. for your van I would expect around 28 to 30mpg so just wait for others to reply who do own your model and compare.... my view is there's something wrong as you mentioned you are on the correct lines. Clive
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 15:41 Thread Starter

Cheers Clive

Eamonn

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 16:16

We just done 2350 miles the long way down to the Algarve on a 2008 2.3 Fiat Ducato based Sundance, fully loaded. Average speed 47MPH, fuel was 27.2 MPG. That was a mixture of all types of roads. Not sure if this helps?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 17:27

My Motorhome: Motorhomeless
Our 1997 Fiat based 2.5Td Hymer returns a steady 28.4mpg at around 50-55mph so I would guess there is something not quite right with yours

The people shouldn't be fearful of the government,
The government should be fearful of the people
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 20:41

That seems a bit low unless you had a strong headwind ?

Our 2007 2.3JTD gets about 27MPG keeping it to 55 - 60 mph.
This reduces to about 24MPG when we have the TOAD.

I have only been as low as 20MPG when we have been towing in a strong headwind averaging about 65MPH.

The only time we have managed 30 MPG was with a tail wind averaging 50MPH, all on a motorway.

I think your "hissing" must be having some impact.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 22:06

Going through the Alps we were only achieving 14 Luckily things level themselves out
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 22:30

I have been tracking my 2.3 since getting it last December, the figures are at the bottom of this post. If you click the figures it should take you into the logbook feature.

Ben
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 22:35 Thread Starter

many thanks for all the info folks........i really must get to the bottom of this hissing noise

Now the next question is where to start looking........it seems more audible when standing at either driver or passenger door and in front of the van....somewhere near back of engine block perhaps?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 23:58

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Anyone with a new(ish) 2.3 JTD should go on to the outandaboutlive forum (motorhome matters) where the same question has been asked.

Look at the reply from euroserv. You will get less mpg and the reason is quite distressing. Owners of older m/homes are going to be much better off regarding mpg.

BTW euroserv knows his stuff, its his profession.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in