Autotrail Cheyenne 740S Nothing But Problems - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 12:44 Thread Starter

Autotrail Cheyenne 740S Nothing But Problems

Bought new April 2008 - Here is the list of problems so far, I have spoken to Colin Treacher at Autotrail and they are not interested his attitude was "go see your dealer" I regard this as their problem.

1. Leaking hot water pipe
2. Electric doorstep to habitation door has failed to retract, this has happened three times and is as we speak being repaired yet again.
3. Light in lounge not working
4. Water pump needed replacing
5. Shower tray faulty and we had to wait six weeks for a replacement and the new one is far from satisfactory.
6. Truma heater incorrectly installed i.e. not enough ventilation to unit so unit overheats cuts out even though it is cold inside the van.
7. Heating is not balanced, it warms up the bathroom and bedroom but not the Lounge.
8. I was led to believe we could use the vehicle in winter but recently whilst in France the water system became frozen and the tank drain off pipe burst.
9. Door to bedroom won't close
10. After five days on a campsite the vehicle would not start due to a flat battery - Fiat camper assistance had no idea why.
11. Bathroom fittings constantly vibrate loose and fall off
12. Metal stays underneath the vehicle which supports the cills vibrate loose
13. TV monitor sometimes won't work
14. Mains/Consumer control unit needed replacing
15. Waste water tank guage only reads empty or full or in other words states the bloody obvious and is no use at all in determining what room is left inside the tank.
16. Water leaking from fridge
17. Intermittent fault on fridge
18. Rooflights require so much force to close them properly that it feels as though the handle will snap off

I have taken the van back so many times since April and at my expense. Regarding travel costs (90 miles travelled each time) Autotrail said it's my problem. I say I have taken on their duties to test the vehicle properly and have contacted Truma regarding an installation I think is not fit for purpose and has now to be modified to allow sufficient ventilation around the Truma heater - pretty basic stuff

The Vehicle is at present in for repairs after a three week trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 13:33

If you bought say a new BMW with a list of faults, who would you be ringing, the BMW dealer you bought it from, or the manufacturer.
Your agreement is with the dealer not the manufacturer.

Charlie
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 14:37

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE TRIED TO ASK A QUESTION, LETS HOPE I GET IT RIGHT.
IT IS A QUESTION ABOUT THE CHEYENNE,BECAUSE WE BOUGHT OUR AUTO-TRAIL DAKOTA IN MAY 08 AND HAVE A BIGGER LIST OF MUCH LARGER PROBLEMS, AND WAS WOUNDERING WHO YOUR DEALER IS

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 15:39 Thread Starter

I accept that the dealer is responsible for all problems with the vehicle but I don't accept that they should act as "cutout" and Autotrail should hide behind them.
On their website they don't mind contact being made to their sales staff so what's the difference in contacting after sales staff?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanelliflossy
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE TRIED TO ASK A QUESTION, LETS HOPE I GET IT RIGHT.
IT IS A QUESTION ABOUT THE CHEYENNE,BECAUSE WE BOUGHT OUR AUTO-TRAIL DAKOTA IN MAY 08 AND HAVE A BIGGER LIST OF MUCH LARGER PROBLEMS, AND WAS WOUNDERING WHO YOUR DEALER IS
Welcome Flossy.

You live just down the road from where Mrs Zeb comes from - Kidwelly, or Cydweli if you prefer.

You got it nearly right . . . capital letters are considered rude, as it's like "shouting".

Not a big problem, and I can't be bothered to correct it for you, but please note for the future or someone will remind you every time!

Hope you and Macclad get your problems sorted out. I had my fair share plus someone else's, and it gets you down doesn't it.

Dave
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chascass
If you bought say a new BMW with a list of faults, who would you be ringing, the BMW dealer you bought it from, or the manufacturer.
Your agreement is with the dealer not the manufacturer.

Charlie
Hi

If i wasn't getting any satisfaction from the dealer, then a phone call to the manufacturer would be my next move. My brother had a problem with a fairly new M3. Dealer wasn't/didn't seem able to sort it out, so he called BMW, who rang the dealer........problem sorted within days, and a very nice courtesy car in the meantime.

Sometimes it pays to complain to the top

Doug
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 16:39

Re: Autotrail Cheyenne 740S Nothing But Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclad
Bought new April 2008 - Here is the list of problems so far, I have spoken to Colin Treacher at Autotrail and they are not interested his attitude was "go see your dealer" I regard this as their problem.

2. Electric doorstep to habitation door has failed to retract, this has happened three times and is as we speak being repaired yet again.
5. Shower tray faulty and we had to wait six weeks for a replacement and the new one is far from satisfactory.
6. Truma heater incorrectly installed i.e. not enough ventilation to unit so unit overheats cuts out even though it is cold inside the van.
7. Heating is not balanced, it warms up the bathroom and bedroom but not the Lounge.
8. I was led to believe we could use the vehicle in winter but recently whilst in France the water system became frozen and the tank drain off pipe burst.
9. Door to bedroom won't close
10. After five days on a campsite the vehicle would not start due to a flat battery - Fiat camper assistance had no idea why.
11. Bathroom fittings constantly vibrate loose and fall off
13. TV monitor sometimes won't work
15. Waste water tank guage only reads empty or full or in other words states the bloody obvious and is no use at all in determining what room is left inside the tank.
16. Water leaking from fridge
17. Intermittent fault on fridge
18. Rooflights require so much force to close them properly that it feels as though the handle will snap off

I have taken the van back so many times since April and at my expense. Regarding travel costs (90 miles travelled each time) Autotrail said it's my problem. I say I have taken on their duties to test the vehicle properly and have contacted Truma regarding an installation I think is not fit for purpose and has now to be modified to allow sufficient ventilation around the Truma heater - pretty basic stuff

The Vehicle is at present in for repairs after a three week trip.
Hi

This is a disgraceful amount of problems to be experiencing with a new MH. Your list obviously shows that Auto-Trail have design flaws, serious quality issues and a non-existent PDI programme.

I thought I would visit the Auto-Trail web site and here are a few quotes

Whichever of the Auto-Trail models you choose, you can expect a high level of comfort, performance and choice expected from a company whose reputation has been built from meeting and exceeding the expectations of our customers for over 25 years. Step inside any one of our many motorhomes to fully appreciate the obvious element of pride taken in the engineering and use of premium materials.

Whether you drive the camper-sized Tracker or the impressive Chieftain our commitment to your safety is paramount. Every Auto-Trail luxury leisure vehicle is fully compliant with quality standard ISO 9002 and the latest European standards governing motorhome construction and use.
Our dedicated staff conduct rigorous and comprehensive inspections throughout the many production processes of each motorhome, all aimed at affording you and your family the highest level of safety and complete peace of mind.

ISO 9002:- ISO 9002 is best known to European countries who use the certification as a means of identifying companies dedicated to providing a customer with the best product and service possible.

......words are obviously very cheap

I hope you can get your problems sorted

........I think i will stick to older Hymers

Doug
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 18:38
DJP

[[Your 1st contact with any supplier should be the dealer[/color]

6. Truma heater incorrectly installed i.e. not enough ventilation to unit so unit overheats cuts out even though it is cold inside the van.Have you checked to see if your duvet is blocking/covering the thermostat sensor which is at the side of the bed?
7. Heating is not balanced, it warms up the bathroom and bedroom but not the Lounge. The boiler is situated at the furthest point from the lounge, therefore will not heat up as efficiently as th areas nearer to the boiler. All vans are the same
8. I was led to believe we could use the vehicle in winter but recently whilst in France the water system became frozen and the tank drain off pipe burst. It depends what you class as winter. Average UK temperatures are usually ok but in extremes there will be problems. The van would have been fine in winter as stated, if you been in Spain for example. There has to a certain amount of understanding. We used our van all over the new year period at up to -8 without a problem.
9. Door to bedroom won't close If the van is cold and "dampish" then wooden doors do expand. the door will close again in the drier weather. Again common problem in a lot of vans
10. After five days on a campsite the vehicle would not start due to a flat battery - Fiat camper assistance had no idea why. Did you use the radio a lot, or leave the rear view monitor switched on?
11. Bathroom fittings constantly vibrate loose and fall off These are supplied loose for the dealer to fit[b][i]
13. TV monitor sometimes won't work Do you switches in correct positions?
15. Waste water tank guage only reads empty or full or in other words states the bloody obvious and is no use at all in determining what room is left inside the tank. Waste tanks generally read 0% 50% or full. again common to lots of vans
16. Water leaking from fridge Is the temperature set tool low?
17. Intermittent fault on fridge What is the fault?
18. Rooflights require so much force to close them properly that it feels as though the handle will snap off They are stiff

Points 2,4,14,17,18 All of these products are bought in by Autotrail and only fitted by them. Can you be a little more specific on the "faults" so better advice may be given?
You have not disclosed the name of the dealer. If they are less than satisfactory, which it seems they are, take it to another dealer. Write to Autotrail and tell them what problems you have and what you have done about it and why you are approaching another dealer. Autotrail are a very reasonable company and will sort out your problems IF the dealer cannot. Your contract is with the dealer, not with Autotrail.
The manner in which you approach the problem can either help or hinder the effective solution.

Be seeing you! No. 6
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 20:29

Hi Macclad

Have you read 'New Motorhome 9 months on' in motorhome chit chat, same problems but had them all sorted out.

Best Regards
Broom
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 21:35

I had similar problems with my last van (06 Elddis Autostratus) which was bought from a Manchester dealer who assured me 100% that a dealer in my own area would look after the warranty work if any. (East Sussex)

How naive I was....

I gave up with the dealer after so many problems with the van and went straight to Elddis as I believe that it is their problem more than a dealer anyway - and they should have all of the parts available...

Elddis agreed that it was a piece of s**t and that it would be rebuilt at the factory and they even sent a transporter from Durham to East Sussex to pick it up.

It came back after 4 weeks worse than when it went back - with even more problems and bits missing...

Gave up in the end and traded it in at a great loss...

Manufacturer or dealer it doesn't seem to matter - no one cares once they have your money - have now been waiting just short of a YEAR for a decal from CI, one that was missing from day one, and since August for a delaminated table. Seems to me that they are all the bloody same - dealer blames manufacture and manufacturer blames dealer!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page