What is everyone doing ? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 18:39 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
What is everyone doing ?

In this enforced shutdown of using our MH, the vehicles are just standing there, unused and unusable at present without incurring the potential wrath of others in the area......

So, MH are standing idle, what are YOU doing to help keep your pride and joy in the best condition possible for the next time after the crisis has been relegated to a bl**dy nuisance.....

I am aware that starting the engine and allowing it to run for perhaps 15 minutes will help keep all the surfaces coated with a protective oil layer, but I am also aware from experience that leaving the handbrake on can lead to the discs seizing to the plates requiring a very unpleasant amount of power to be applied to break the corrosion.

I am keeping a check on the batteries - fortunately the solar panels are doing a good job there coupled with the BatteryMaster, but the spiders are having a field day inside believing that they have been given carte blanche to throw threads wherever they wish (typically found by my wife have an "Arachnoleptic " fit as she discovers them. 🤣🤣🤣 ).

What else is being done by others ? Take it for a short drive every few weeks ? Spend the time polishing it to within 2.54cm of it's life ?

I am curious to hear other's views as to what YOU are doing.......

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 19:19

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Keeping lead acid batteries fully charged extends their life Dave. Now we don't have the van I do put the 'second' car on a fit and forget charger to keep it's battery topped up. I haven't used it in 6 weeks now but I personally don't believe in short runs now and again. A good run of 20 to 30 kms would be better.

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 19:27
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
The general consensus is NOT to start the engine and let it idle...

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/479...ml#post4526766

Graham

I like to use big words which I don't really understand so it makes me look more photosynthesis!

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
Penquin (01-05-2020)

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 21:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Thank you for those hints and links, some really god points there that I ought to have considered, but hadn't.

I feel a list coming on to remind me what to do....
raynipper likes this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 21:57

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,078 Times in 936 Posts
Personal Aire
Yes there was a long thread on the Wildies I think the other day and running the engine was a big no no Dave. I just whip the battery lead off on mine and isolate the solar and leisure battery and thats it. I often leave it for months on end like that. I had it serviced and MOT'd just before the lock down though as I heard leaving it with old oil in is not a good idea and it was well over due despite the limited miles its done last couple of years.

I might give it a run out at some point of this carries on for much longer. Our nearest supermarket is 7-8 miles away, 10 if I take the proper roads so that would be a good excuse. Might put the tables and chairs out in Morrisons car park just to see how much "tutting" it attracts.
Penquin likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Penquin (01-05-2020)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:40

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I don´t have to worry about that because I can still take trips in the MH. at least every 2 weeks I take it on a 50 km trip.
I just hope nothing mechanical goes wrong again, but this time I will have a full ADAC back up.

We realised, when it was too late, in October Heike could have used the ADAC, they were not to know which one of us was driving it at the time.
patp, Penquin and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to JanHank For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 10:21

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I don´t want to rub it in, but I think I must be in one of the safest and less restricted places in Europe.
Down at the river this morning were 6 tents with fishermen, split up in 3 parties of 2 and a Motorhome.

The ZOLL (customs) police went past and took no notice, they just slowed up because of Motley because he looks so sweet sitting and waiting for them to pass.
patp, Penquin and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to JanHank For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 20:55

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Treated the rust on the slam panel, painted it with bumper spray and then with matt black. Looks a lot better.
Cleaned the entire front with G3 and intended to polish it, but then it rained gently for about ten days.
You have just reminded me it's unfinished business.
Repaired a tiny crack in the front bumper. I am annoyed that these motorhomes don't have a rubber strip and wraparound to soak up the occasional tiny bump.
Refitted the bike carrier 'cos Dorli has bought a larger bike and we must check whether it will fit nicely, or whether I will need a bigger hammer.
Must smarten up the wing mirror supports, and do something about those scratches on the skylight perspex.
Have replaced one of the sliding window catches. Have another one to do when I can find the right size.
Don't you just love this lockdown ?
Bill
Penquin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bc109 For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 21:07

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I can only say what I do with mine.

Once a month I used to run several cables some 150 metres or so to charge up the batteries on mine in a barn in my field. Fed up with that and just as lockdown started I bought a "proper" heavy duty cable and dug it in across my lawn, down a hedge, across the field.... - a miracle to behold. The end result is that I don't have to worry about the batteries. I've pumped the tyres up way beyond what they need to be and that's it. The fuel tank was already full - which is recommended so as to avoid corrosion so I should be good to go! Famous last words!
Penquin likes this.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 21:21

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Pity about that Peter as I have been trying to sell 160m of .6 armoured cable for €100 for about two years. It went this jan basically for scrap money.

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page