What is everyone doing ? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 21:26

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Pity about that Peter as I have been trying to sell 160m of .6 armoured cable for €100 for about two years. It went this jan basically for scrap money.
You won't want to hear what I paid for mine Ray! Apparently though it's Arctic grade! Helpful for the south of England!
Penquin and raynipper like this.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
Penquin (02-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 21:32

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes it must have been worth £700 to buy off the shelf.

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes it must have been worth £700 to buy off the shelf.
Fortunately less - by an acceptable amount!

I dug the trench across my lawn just before it didn't rain here for 6 weeks! So watched the trench dry out and shrink and therefore having to try to water it with a pathetic hose pressure!"

Peter
Penquin (02-05-2020)

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 22:00

In answer also to Dave's question, we are using Zoom massively.

Mrs P and I have Zoom meetings three times a week at 6.00pm (G&T time) with good friends of ours (three different ones) and then on two lunch times a week I have three hour virtual pub meetings with up to six friends - landlord nearly joined us today!

I'm retired but have maybe one Zoom meeting a week for one "non-retired" job I do - two weeks ago I had a Zoom meeting that started at 8.00am and finished at 3.30PM!
H1-GBV and Penquin like this.

Peter
Penquin (02-05-2020)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 22:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Thanks Peter, we have tried Zoom, unsuccessfully it was no better than Skype, or WhatsApp or FaceTime - the common problem is that we get our internet via a satellite and the service leaves a lot to be desired.

Sadly, we are too far for wired broadband, the Department went for wireless, the key thing being that the aerials broadcasting it are on top of the water towers so you have to be able to see one..,... we can't.

They are now rolling out fibre and we are supposed to get that by 2023.......

For that reason every house is being given a number which exactly matches the number of metres from where the road starts, we have not got one yet do it may take another year before we even reach that stage - even worse with CoVid delays.

For the privilege of satellite internet we pay 85€ a month...... so not cheap, not fast, it drops out when it rains or there are storms and the suppliers are superb at the Gallic shrug..,.,.

Hence my appeal for what people are doing - I meant about their MH being stationary for what may be months, but binding out other things is always great to hear, so thank you.

peribro likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 22:40

I sympathise Dave with your poor internet and I'm very lucky that I have a "fibre" box in my grass verge!

Two of the participants on my two hour virtual pub meeting today are having to self-isolate and for one of them, our twice weekly Zoom calls are the only contact he is getting! He says it's "keeping him alive" - probably an overstatement but...

Peter
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 22:50 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We are also self-isolated for 12 weeks by UK rules, but there is no home delivery service from supermarkets here, or anything resembling food boxes being delivered......

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 06:49

I am resisting ZOOM in favour of something called "The Telephone" that seems to work very well and no appointments necessary.!!!

Plus as you have found Peter it seems to be very time consuming and for busy souls a rather inconvenient intrusion. Plus when we are chatting with family members on Skype one to one it allows us to discuss other family members problems and solutions privately.
I hate modern tech for new tech sake. OK it's great for some but one size really does not fit all situations. The only time we have time to relax and think about chatting is after dinner watching TV and often dozing off. Hence the convenience of recording most evening progs.

Yes Dave great hullabaloo when France Telecom ran fibre cables down the coast road from top to toe of the Cherbourg Peninsular 5 years ago. But only a few larger towns along the route have been serviced with fibre. The rest of the smaller towns and villages are still on 70 year old copper wire. We are fortunate in getting 6 or 7mbps and Skype is generally good at €38 all in. Cell signal could be better and we can almost see the tower apart from the trees. But as two other family members are hit and miss internet Zoom aint a good idea.

So far we haven't found isolation a problem. We can chat to neighbours and or visitors from our plot to them in the lane. No traffic to interrupt and sometimes fresh veg dropped off from over enthusiastic gardeners. It could always be worse as elderly friend in next village needed to get to doc urgently and his wife does not drive, so my wife did the ambulance service.

Ray.
patp, Penquin and bc109 like this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
Penquin (03-05-2020)
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:42

Fifth Wheel just sits smiling at us. Apart from the tyres it needs no attention from us though we do keep it plugged in to the mains.

We nearly had to move in to it the other day. Since getting home we have discovered two lots of water ingress to the house. The porch over the original front door was sagging before we went but the storms loosened it more and we had water ingress all around the joints. That resulted in mould and peeling paint

A couple of days ago, we were talking to our daughter on facetime when Chris, bored with all the baby cooing, looked up and saw a damp patch on the lounge ceiling. Investigations revealed a joint in the roof might be responsible. The roof is only a few years old and would be guaranteed by the, excellent, roofing company that did it but the owner killed himself a few years ago. Not related to his work unless it was caused by over work due to his popularity

Then we ran out of heating oil! Of course it had to coincide with the recent drop in temperature! I had ordered it from Boiler Juice who give a good price but wait for enough orders to warrant sending out a large tanker. I switched to NG and saved about a hundred pounds as oil prices have plummeted since I first ordered! We sat with blankets over us for a couple of nights but gave up yesterday and sent out a plea on the Next Door social media site for electric heaters. The village were amazing and we now have a couple of oil filled radiators and a heavy duty fan heater to tide us over until Monday.
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
Penquin (03-05-2020)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:00

Sad for you Pat but at times it does seem the gods gang up against us all together. Usually in threes??
Water ingress was the bane of my life in UK until we moved to France. As a kid I often had to get on the roof of our third floor tenement to push the old slates back when we heard the plop, plop, plop from above. Crazy really as I was 10 or 12 and the drop was 40ft.

Then our big house and tenanted Victorian houses were always having moisture problems from roofs, gutters and drains. It was a constant job to just keep everything dry and I dreaded rain storms.

But now this house although 30 years old is bone dry thankfully. The builder constructed it for himself and wife who promptly divorced as soon as it was finished. His loss and our gain as it's the best quality, warm and comfortable house of all our friends and neighbours.

We are guilty of being belt and braces (hoarders) and rarely run out of anything, never leaving restocking fuel, gas or provisions to last minute. Mind it can cause storage problems and recycling when coming across tins and jars dated 2008/9.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
kabundi (04-05-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page